Motorized fiberglass? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ron, they're still building molded fiberglass motorhomes, here's one: Born Free Class C Motorhome if you want to read about them, see this forum: Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #16

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
When I had just joined this site, someone had noted that a molded fiberglass RV was for sale on eBay, and supplied the link. It was one of these Glastron motorhomes.

Glastron Motohomes

I was very interested then, but didn't win thast auction, so I bought a Fiber Stream!

Vic

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #17

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
I like Moulded anything but my main interests on this site center on parts and how-to repairs. I do look at posting members have sent regarding motorized fiberglass RVs.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #18

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
For someone looking for information on their motorhome, I think it best, for their own good, to steer them elsewhere where they would not have to weed through the information. I do take some time occasionally to find links for members with "trailers," but I am not going to sift through this forum hunting for answers that may not be on this forum anyway.

So, my two cents worth.

CindyL
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #19

Name: Matt
Trailer: Hall GTC
California
An opening!

That is what I was driving at with my original post on this (hot button) subject. My Hall was built in '73 - they only made 150 of them - but there were quite a number of other small (by today's standards) "one piece" glass coach motorhomes made between the mid 60's and late 70's that should have a natural appeal to those insterested in similar towables. I'm not a fan of modern the modern motorized mansions at all, and consider them to be just retched excess in every way possible.

Before buying my MH in 2009 I had looked seriously at Casitas, Burros and a number of other trailers, but I just couldn't find one that had all the stuff I wanted after a lifetime of tent camping. Heavy insulation, a convertible dinette, a pretty big bed aft that can be left made up and a bathroom with a stand-up seperate shower are what sold me. That And I had sold my pickup and didn't want to buy another one just for towing. The main thing is that no way would I buy a stick-framed anything other than something permanently fixed to the earth. RV's with composite construction will ALWAYS leak at some point and, since my exposure to fiberglass goes back to the late 40's (my dad had a company called "Glasspar"), it wasn't even a choice!

As it is, I have spent a LOT of time and money getting things back in some semblance of operational order that I (of course) never expected, such as engine, transmission, many mechanical upgrades, woodwork, wheels, tires, water pressure system - on and on. You know how it goes if you own an old vehicle.

Anyhow, that's my situation, and I'm interested to see where this thread goes!

Matt
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Maybe a day late but Lil Snoozy has e'thing you just listed and doesnt need a truck for towing. So does Escape and Bigfoot which are built for cold weather camping. Just a thought if you decide the MH cost too much to feed or doesnt work out for one reason or another.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Frankly, Matt brought up one of my biggest pet peeves! RV/Rv-ing being used to describe travel trailers. (yes I use this word to describe traveling in my Casita, only because it's the only word that most understand here in the states as traveling in a trailer) but don't believe my Casita is a Rv! There is no motor in the Casita, it's not a vehicle! A bigger pet peeve, the use of the word "Coach" to described a travel trailer? The word "coach" is used to describe large (40ft plus) Motor Homes, RV's, Bus...... Usually in the million dollar range. NOT, a bumper pull trailer!

Having seen this thread since the beginning, I didn't respond because I really don't know how I feel. I know how I felt when I found this forum. Excited that I found a great bunch of people with like interest in a little trailer. But I have also seen, non molded members join in the last few years and they are welcomed and mention their SOB's often . What's the difference of a molded vehicle owner being a member? That I can't answer, because I haven't figured out the non-molded SOB thing.

But because I have an issue with calling a molded fiberglass travel trailer, a RV, I can understand a "molded" motor homer wanting to join due to the name of the forum. The thing I think will be difficult for any molded vehicle member is, it's not a big group that will answer questions. Of course for those of us, who have owned RV's ( stick built, Recreational vehicles) key word, Vehicle! We might be able to answer some things. But doubt everything. Might be a lonely member........ But get the "molded" thing..................

I love how, when most mis-guided SOB's join, everyone try's to guide them to a better forum option for their needs. Some stay because they feel comfortable despite being an SOB. So I have to wonder why not someone who does have a expanded focus (the motor being the expanded!) ????????

If the forum focus has grown to include non-molded why not "molded expanded"? I don't know! Liked the pureness of the focus when I joined, not sure how I feel about non-molded, but question why not "molded expanded"............

Gee, I got to work on having a stand instead of being on the fence ! Well, some subjects I have a stand ............ But this one, I am gonna waffle!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Motorized Fiberglass

"Motorized Fiberglass"?

Don't Corvette owners have their own clubs and fora already?

On Edit: Actually since Corvettes are used more for FUN than for simple transportation, I could make a case that they are also "recreational vehicles", and hence meet the definition of being a (motorized) molded fiberglass recreational vehicle.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Well, the tagline to the title "FiberglassRV" is "Molded, Lightweight RV Resource". Not sure adding an engine and heavier chassis would keep it inside the description of being lightweight.

Our moulded fiberglass trailers are definitely RV's, and most definitely a vehicle by description. I tend to lump all Recreational Vehicles together, but with multiple categories, such as where the bulk of us fit "Moulded Fiberglass Trailers". It is a definite class of its own. Again, anything motorized would not fit into this description, if this was the definition that the forum wants to function under. Maybe the tagline to the forum name should be revised to "Moulded, Lightweight Trailer Resource".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #24

Name: Matt
Trailer: Hall GTC
California
May be. On the other hand, all molded (or moulded as you say up that-a- way) coachwork bodies, and "coach work" is what they are, that are mounted to a rigid steel frame suspended on springs of some kind are essentially all alike to a lesser or greater degree. Of course a glass body mounted on a truck chassis has additional issues and considerations and is considerably more complex by nature, but so what? Airstream has made a lot of trailers over the years, but they also have made some remarkable versions mounted on truck chassis - and they are allowed in the Airstream forums without question.

In my particular case, considering my 40 years experience with fiberglass structures (boats, cars, motorhomes, trailers, wind turbine blades, and etc., and 50 years in electrics ( I also built trailers somewhere in there), I think that I might be able to help YOU guys at least as much as you help me. Perhaps.

Blast shields up!

Matt
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
"

On Edit: Actually since Corvettes are used more for FUN than for simple transportation, I could make a case that they are also "recreational vehicles", and hence meet the definition of being a (motorized) molded fiberglass recreational vehicle.

Believe me, when I was 16 and my Mom had a corvette, I used it as a recreational vehicle! So yup, I would second that, they are recreational vehicles..
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I see no reason a molded fiberglass (small) m/h wouldn't be included. they are MOLDED fiberglass, they have water tanks, water pumps, black tanks, gray tanks, lights, seats,etc, etc, etc. so a lot of simularities. Discusions of NON-MOLDED fiberglass units are included quite often. Personally I'd prefer to hear about MOLDED units of anykind.

Just my 2 cents.

Art
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Maybe we all come on a little strong when we think we see a turf war brewing. Matt agrees with a good bit of what other members have said so how's bout we give back all the goats and call it a day. Maybe the "modistraters" would be willing to take under consideration the potential desirability/popularity of self-propelled recreational vehicles and the possibility of a dedicated subforum for same. In the meantime old FGRV should get to keep its call sign cause altho a barge is a barge and a pushboat is a pushboat it's the lashup that counts. If it's used for "recreational" puposes and it goes down the road, I think we could abstain from quibbling about the hinge in the middle. Yeh, there are RV campsites and trailer sites and tent sites also. And folks who want "a real RV" such as the lady referenced in the old thread. Could be that having one is the long way round to appreciating a little cocoon tent or a shelter half or (the Golden Mean) a nice snug little egg.

jack
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This is how Social Knowledge, the owner of this site, describes FiberglassRV:

"Fiberglass RV is the leading online community for owners of lightweight molded fiberglass trailers. A vibrant forum, active classified section, trailer registry, expansive photo gallery all make Fiberglass RV the most active community in this niche."

You'll find that here: RV-TravelTrailer | Social Knowledge

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote