Motorized fiberglass? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #61

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Well, I'm getting a little confused here. Matt originally wrote "I bring the subject up of the possibility of expanding this community to include vintage moulded glass bodied motorhomes in the mix".

It seems to me there are two questions being debated here. One is "Should there be an entirely new Forum on the site for molded fiberglass motorhomes"? The other question is "Are owners of molded fiberglass motorhomes welcome to join the group in general"? To take the second question first, it seems that the answer is (or should be) "Yes, indeed". After all, you don't have to actually own a lightweight fiberglass trailer to be a member of the group do you?

As for the first question, it seems that most of the members have no interest in starting a separate forum just for motorized fiberglass RVs. That makes sense to me. There would probably not be enough interest in that topic to justify a whole separate forum for that topic.

Donna - it's not so much what it costs to fill the tank, but what the miles per gallon work out to be. So while it's true that it might cost over $200 to fill the tank of the Hall GTC and only $80 to fill your F-150's tank, that's because they have different size tanks. I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. Are you saying that it would cost over $200 for someone in the motorhome to make the same trip you took with your trailer for $40? I know that the Hall GTC probably wouldn't get very good gas mileage so your set-up would likely be more economical, but just how much more economical is the real question. Also, anyone who has a larger FG trailer and pulls it with even a mid size truck can easily be hauling 7,000 or more pounds around. Our Bigfoot weighs about 3,000 lbs when loaded and our van weighs about 4,000 lbs. Also, just what is lightweight? A little teardrop trailer is light compared to a 13' Scamp, but our 17' Bigfoot is light compared to the 32' Class A we used to have.

Oooh, and this is my second post! I'm on a roll now! :-)

PS - I think the Hall is really cute too!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #62

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Actually, we don't know precisely "just how it is" except that we've been given the catechism by Donna that the site deals with "lightwgt. molded" and other limiting adjectives and that "what the membership thinks doesn't matter." I imagine there's more than a grain of truth to this view but also about an oat bin's wgt of truth to the observation that there are matters of degree and that perceptions do change. IF Googuru" follows thru and "pays his dues" by sharing his experience and expertise. I think we'd all forgive his apostacy from the fiberglass camping experience as prescribed here.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
One thing I have learned since I have become been a member here is that when Donna says "this is how it is" - she's right. She does not come out with random stuff, but will, in fact, research and she makes sure she is right before saying something.

It is one of the many reasons why she is one of - if not THE- most respected member here.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #64

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't really understand what the big deal is here. Donna D. will often point somebody to another forum where they might find better information concerning their RV. We all have our own style of camping and RV we like to use. This hasn't stopped others from joining our little group. I did a quick look at about 500 members out 86585. A very large number didn't even have any kind of RV, about 40 have something other than a molded fiberglass trailer. Those range from a Fleetwood Motor Home to teardrop trailers and popups. There's truck campers, and Sprinter conversions and Airstream. Why this one person with a vintage Motor Home is singled out is beyond me.

Matt,
I suggest that you drop this thread and sit back and enjoy the talk. In other areas if you have something positive to contribute do so. Go to one of the rallies and meet some of the group. We're really a pretty nice group and generally welcoming.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
It is one of the many reasons why she is one of - if not THE- most respected member here.
Oh pleeeeze. I'm a member here just like everyone else. I do try to find out stuff, because it interests me... just like this forum. I'm just truly worried, if we open the forum to motorhomes, next will follow slab sided fiberglass trailers, then tent trailers because they have fiberglass roofs.. think of all the RVs that fit the title of fiberglass RV ... it is a slippery slope. In the past month, we've had.. in addition to Matt... two other motorhome owners post. Those are Class A motorhomes. Is that really the direction folks want to see this forum head toward? Do we really want to become IRV2 dot com JUNIOR. Remember, there are far more of those types of fiberglassRVs than there are of all molded towables. I'm worried the posts like "I need help replacing a small Suburban furnace," will get lost among the posts from those that have a 22,000 BTU furnace like is in Matt's moho. And eventually the community of like-minded small molded owners will be lost.

Now, this is my last post on this thread. I have no control over the decision that Social Knowledge may make... if they do. But, I respectfully suggest those interested in discussing Matt's moho, go join his website. It's a nice one. And other owners of the same brand that belong to that site would probably appreciate your input. As we know here, it's nice to keep good information contained for the archives.

Safe travels everyone.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #66

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
and that "what the membership thinks doesn't matter."

jack
Jack seriously hope you are joking!!!
Very sad if your not! as nothing could be further from the truth.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #67

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Matt,
I suggest that you drop this thread and sit back and enjoy the talk. In other areas if you have something positive to contribute do so. Go to one of the rallies and meet some of the group. We're really a pretty nice group and generally welcoming.
Exactly the point I made. We are friendly and will welcome Matt to any rally, but I do not support changing the format of the forum. That being said, remember you are welcome and your expertise would be welcome. Here's a place to add your expertise to the forum.

Also my last post. My vote is in. Do not change the forum, but continue to welcome those who want to hang around a group with a fiberglass addiction.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #68

Delaware
Donna's words are in post #33 this thread for you to read, Carol, perhaps for the first time? I doubt that the ownership would choose to use those words (publicly), but having visited Social Knowledge, I can understand why there might be a desire to restrict the range of subject matter of their many sites. Fingers in a lot of pies!

jack
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #69

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Yes, we are about molded towables

I've subscribed to this thread, and these statements stick with me:
Quote:
Donna D.
There's a condition called Social Exclusion. It's where no one feels any harm when they're included, but when they're excluded they want the 'included' bunch to change to include them....

Matt, since this is a privately owned site and it really doesn't matter what the members want or don't want.. in the long run

windgooroo1
I am NOT trying to crack the fortress walls of some kind of an exclusive club here, though that's definitely vibe I'm getting...

Why am I going to all this trouble? Good question! My thought is that an expanded inclusion would be beneficial for many of you, maybe, and that if someone isn't interested in the discussions they don't have to read them.

CindyL
I would like to know why this argument was even begun. If sharing of fiberglass knowledge was your intent, ... why did you even ask? We have not prevented anyone from sharing their ideas, nor have we stopped non-fiberglass trailers from attending our rallies...

It seems to me that you just created an argument where there was none.

I hope I meet you sometime at a rally, but unless the owners change, this forum is designed for molded trailers. And that being said, we have members who are not molded trailers and are welcomed.

Greg H
I just don't get it, what's the big deal? We do talk about engines, we talk about transmissions and we talk about brakes. I don't see a problem.
This Topic has been debated by the Administrators and the Moderators and it really does matter what the members want or don't want. But This Topic does not exist in a vacuum. The original "Sole Proprietor" or Founder if you will, designed this website for the interests of the Niche of Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers. But he also was reacting to the faults of the other websites he was a member of, and wanted to TRY to minimize those faults, realizing that they could not be entirely eliminated. Being a website designer for others, he knew the characteristics that made sites successful, and that there were compromises that needed to be made to the structure of the site, especially when it came to internet search results, thus the vague yet specific title.

This website was launched in 2002. It established a reputation for being one of the friendliest websites on the internet. Then in November of 2005, it was hacked into by an individual who gutted out all of the content of text and photographs about our trailers and replaced it with certain political rants, believing he had obtained a captive audience.

Devastated but not destroyed, our Founder and his inner circle of confidants (also known as the moderating staff) set about the task of re-creating this community "out of the ashes" of the former source of pride. All of the original photographs were completely lost, but much of the text was recoverable (Thank you Google) which became the Legacy Posts.

This site became so successful that after a period of resistance, the Founder sold the site to the present Limited Liability Corporation. The "Default" style is the look of the old Sole Proprietorship and the "FGRV 2.0" style is the realignment as a new Division of the Limited Liability Corporation. Initially, the all voluntary original administrators and moderators transferred to the new Corporation and started the adjustment to the new leadership.

There have been many changes, the 2.0 "skin" being but one of them. We are always open to improvement. Many of the changes started out as threads just like this one. Rest assured that everything is fully discussed and weighed by the Administrators and Moderators before being implemented. We also learn and grow here "At the Top" .

However, the question always present in our deliberations is, "Fundamentally, just WHO are we?" As of today the answer remains Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers. Please don't judge a book by its cover, or a website by its name ONLY. We are a friendly family, but there aren't enough bedrooms in this house for each of us to get their own room. Please share what we do have.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #70

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Please don't judge a book by its cover, or a website by its name ONLY. We are a friendly family, but there aren't enough bedrooms in this house for each of us to get their own room. Please share what we do have.
Thanks Frederick for taking the time to put up such as well thought out post.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #71

Delaware
Based on experience of another site that I visit, the administrators and moderators here infrequently intervene or do so with a velvet touch. It was time for both the intervention and the "touch."

jack

Tags
el macho