Motorized fiberglass? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
That's a TRAVCO Dodge - which meets all the definitions of being a molded fiberglass RV - just not a trailer!

OK two piece - just like our trailers - fiberglass body on a steel chassis. This one just has an "internal tug" instead of a "front-mounted one"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #42

Trailer: Home Built
I, too have winced when someone has posted something in the "not considered correct" format and I have thought some of the responses have been somewhat harsh...however, I love this site and think it is the best forum on the web...I would suggest a more informative tag line on the top of the forum pages and a better description on search tags...like "small, lightweight, molded fiberglass travel trailers" or something to help eliminate the fiberglass association problems...flame suit on
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #43

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I would like to know why this argument was even begun. If sharing of fiberglass knowledge was your intent, windgooroo1, why did you even ask? We have not prevented anyone from sharing their ideas, nor have we stopped non-fiberglass trailers from attending our rallies. If you search this forum, you will, as stated, find lots of information on dogs, tow vehicles, and, in my case, VWs, because I am interested in anyone using a VW with their fiberglass trailer.

It seems to me that you just created an argument where there was none. In your case, Donna simply pointed out that there are other places to find information on your kind of RV, and you yourself said that you are a member of a forum for your brand.

So, I welcome your knowledge; I welcome you; I hope I meet you sometime at a rally, but unless the owners change, this forum is designed for molded trailers. And that being said, we have members who are not molded trailers and are welcomed. Maybe you drop the topic and just join in.

Of course, you could always hook a tow vehicle in front of your RV and pull it.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Matt as others have suggested the sub-line of the list "owners of lightweight molded fiberglass trailers." pretty well says it all.

You seem to be suggesting that there is only one person here who objects strongly to adding Motorhome topics to the list - well you can bump that up to at least 2

I have no doubt that if Motorhomes were added a whole lot of folks would jump in to ask why? and how the heck did that happen? As I am pretty sure the vast majority on this list have little interest in how to fix a motorhome - fiberglass or not. At this point many probable just hadnt bothered to read this thread as they thought like I that it was just another misplaced sole looking for help and they would be pointed in another direction. I didn't read this thread until it was pointed out to me. Start cluttering up the lists side bar with a whole lot of threads about repairing motorhome engines and chases etc and that will get a lot more folks attention fast & IMHO it will not be positive attention.

As suggested there are many other list someone with a motorhome can join to discuss motorhome related issues. Fortunately for us the topic of repairing tow vehicle engines is not talked about much here as the list is about travel trailers - again no grey area about that. When tow engine repairs are talked about its normally not done in detail, usually nothing more than a fly by comment while on a different topic thread. I personally like it that way.

Danny if you buy a 25' Bigfoot I dont think anyone would send you packing from here or raise an eye brow as we have plenty of members here that already own them. They are after all in most cases molded fiberglass trailers and they are lighter than many of the 25' stick built trailers. The lists sub line does not say the trailers need to be short just light!

In the years I have been here, on the rare occasions when someone does post asking for help with a none molded fiberglass trailer, if its a fiberglass related issue people do try and help them or point them in the right direction. And more often than not they are gentle pointed off to the correct list - agree though that occasionally they are not so gentle pointed off but more often than not IMHO they are given a gentle nudge.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #45

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hi Carol,

You make number 3 in making the statement not to change the forum. I do not want it changed. I was trying to be welcoming while not advocating changing the forum. We have members who participate regularly and add their wisdom without trying to change the focus of the forum, and they are not unwelcome here. In fact, for a time, one of the moderators went to the dark side and was not chased away. He did not try to change the forum though.

I hope the forum remains devoted to our molded trailers and if others belong, they will respect that position and mutually share information of benefit to everyone. We are a friendly community.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #46

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I sucked up my share of styrene fumes and I think I probably drank the MEK peroxide also. All of us have something to bring. Not everyone here is green as a gourd and a mouth breather to boot so allusions to "blast shields" and "An Opening" do raise a little flag and everybody circles the wagons. I don't care for the baaasheep panic and I also didn't care for the wolfy grin that inspired it. Do a few yrs. finding shortcuts to the archives for everyone like Donna does unfailingly and maybe you'll appreciate what she brings, Matt! After you've spent time boiling down your expertise into chunks munchable by laymen and tyros, we'll probably appreciate you also.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Hi Carol, You make number 3 in making the statement not to change the forum.
CindyL
LOL thanks Cindy for correcting me I actually went back to the beginning of the thread and if you count in all the folks who just stated they are with Donna on this one then I was actually the 7th one to say not to change it! If you count up the number of people that have actually stated a preference it appears to be a landslide vote to leave things as they are..... havent actually counted but a quick read through it appears to be that way.

We also have a number of members who are on the fence. Only a couple have clearly indicated they want to let the MH in but it appears that it was the first post to the list for at least one of them - which makes it somewhat suspicious..... perhaps we have one of those rigged/tampered with votes to deal with here To the party whos post it was I AM only kidding!!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #48

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I have one....still I believe this forum is aimed at the trailers........lots of things are molded fiberglass.....people sleep in boats too dont they?
allow or disallow? I dont think they need a column if thats what youre asking.
Participate........lots do
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I have one....still I believe this forum is aimed at the trailers........lots of things are molded fiberglass.....people sleep in boats too dont they?
Yup and they tow them to!
Dang, now you have really opened up a can of worms
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our Former Fiberglass trailer

And we camped in it too!

The main difference is the fiberglass part was removable!
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_1405.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #51

British Columbia
And then there is the Trailorboat, which we do accept, even though it is just a (removable) f/g boat on top of another f/g piece.

And NO - I am not advocating for inclusion of separate columns for them either - actually - those who know me have by now realized that I am just stirring the pot a tad - lighten up folks!

Glass is glass.

If it says Boler, or Trailorboat, or Spartan or Scamp or Glastron or Winnebago, if it has glass issues, maybe we can learn something new from how it was handled.

We do not deal with mechanical issues (except for trailer axles and brakes), but we do have a huge amount of interest in heating, cooling, provision of domestic water supply, disposal of waste water, 12 volt electricals, "shore power" 110V electricals, generators, solar power, communications when not "tied to a post", and in making a small, confined space comfortable.

No- I do not wanna see our site redefined, but I don't want to drive away some folks who may have something to teach us, either!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Our former fiberglass trailer

I just sort of considered that post as "reducto ad absurdum," or reducing to the absurd. Actually, I had never before considered that I did own a FG trailer before Homelet. Poor Homelet just discovered she isn't our first.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #53

Name: Matt
Trailer: Hall GTC
California
An early Travco at that; probably a 68 21 footer. My brother has a 73 22' version of this vehicles, very fun machines!
windgooroo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #54

Registry
LOL Rodger thanks for the smile of the day. I had to google it! Good job at lightening it up! :-))))

"Reductio ad absurdum"
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the mathematical form of proof by contradiction.
Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to the absurd") is a form of argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications logically to an absurd consequence.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #55

British Columbia
And here I thought the most common form of Reductio ad Absurdum was any speech made by any politician, of any party whatever!!

IE: " a form of argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications logically to an absurd consequence".
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #56

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I just don't get it, what's the big deal? We do talk about engines, we talk about transmissions and we talk about brakes. I don't see a problem.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wanted to see what Matt was talking about, so I checked out the Hall GTC website: Hall GTC (Grand Touring Coach) Nice site. I can see why he wants to join here. There's only 12 members there. Here's some images and information:
A Class B

Name:   GTC.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  7.3 KB

Somehow, I think this piece of info is talking about eggs too :

Name:   Lit-01.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  56.6 KB

WOW.. gross vehicle weight of 10,000 LBS. That's the gross vehicle weight of TWO 19' Escapes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lit-02.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	46636

Right now, in Portland Oregon it would cost in excess of $204 to fill the fuel tank and go camping. I pulled my Scamp last weekend and the round trip was over three hours and a half tank of fuel for the F-150.. about $40. I guess that's because my Scamp weighs less than 1/3 of this moho.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #58

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Rampant Aristotelianism, Greg. Every pigeon got its hole.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Rampant Aristotelianism, Greg. Every pigeon got its hole. jack

or it could be as simple as when I was a child and I would ask my parents why? and they would respond with "because thats just the way it is!"
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #60

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

LOL, hated that answer too!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
el macho