my avatar is sideways - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: 2017 , Casita 17' SD
California
my avatar is sideways

I have a new notebook, Chromebook. I am trying to edit,change, my avatar.
all images I try are being displayed sideways. Anyone know why and how to fix?

Mark

Old 03-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I have a new notebook, Chromebook. I am trying to edit,change, my avatar.
all images I try are being displayed sideways. Anyone know why and how to fix?

Mark
these are pictures you took with the chromebook's camera? open them in google photos, click the edit tool, rotate 90 cw, save, then try that.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
these are pictures you took with the chromebook's camera? open them in google photos, click the edit tool, rotate 90 cw, save, then try that.
No, it is an image my wife took on her iphone and sent to me by email.

Mark
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:

Mark
I can't count the number of times this has been asked and answered, but I'll add an explanation again. When you take a photo with a phone you can choose to take the picture vertically (portrait mode) or horizontally (landscape mode). Photos taken with a phone contain metadata which tells the phone how to orient the photos when viewing them. If you upload an iPhone photo to a bulletin board or forum, that metadata is lost. So, the site displays the photo in it's "native" orientation, which means the photo won't be oriented correctly unless you took it in native orientation. The native orientation for iPhone photos by the way is in landscape mode with the shutter button to the right. If you get in the habit of always taking photos with your iPhone in landscape mode with the button to the right, it won't matter if the metadata is stripped from the photo when uploading it - it will display correctly.

For incorrectly oriented photos, if you upload them to a computer, turn them 90 degrees, save them, and then upload them to the forum, they will show correctly. This can be tricky only because once edited, depending on the OS or the photo viewing application, they can show sideways on the computer, but right side up on the forum. Again though, the easiest way to prevent the need to edit the photo orientation is to take them with the phone held horizontally, and with the shutter button to the right.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #5

California
Registry
Quote:

Mark
ok... So, are you using google gmail, or some other email application? and, what exactly did you do with the image to get it from the email message to being an avatar?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:

Mark
here, save the attached image and make that your avatar.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

California
rbryan, having posted on forums for many years, I know that. Unfortunately my wife may not and I forgot to remind.
Odd that the new avatar posted on Casita forum in the correct orientation

Thanks for being patient and reiterating your instruction.
Mark
Old 03-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
here, save the attached image and make that your avatar.
John, thanks for your help. I think that I should have done this on my PC instead of my CB, but I am still learning this 'puter stuff even at 67.

Mark
Old 03-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Odd that the new avatar posted on Casita forum in the correct orientation
Not odd at all, CasitaForum uses completely different forum software. It would be comparable to opening a document in Word versus Notepad. Same words, different look.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not odd at all, CasitaForum uses completely different forum software. It would be comparable to opening a document in Word versus Notepad. Same words, different look.
Donna, oddities revealed. Thank's.

Mark
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #11

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
Alberta
How to post portrait oriented photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I can't count the number of times this has been asked and answered, but I'll add an explanation again. When you take a photo with a phone you can choose to take the picture vertically (portrait mode) or horizontally (landscape mode). Photos taken with a phone contain metadata which tells the phone how to orient the photos when viewing them. If you upload an iPhone photo to a bulletin board or forum, that metadata is lost. So, the site displays the photo in it's "native" orientation, which means the photo won't be oriented correctly unless you took it in native orientation. The native orientation for iPhone photos by the way is in landscape mode with the shutter button to the right. If you get in the habit of always taking photos with your iPhone in landscape mode with the button to the right, it won't matter if the metadata is stripped from the photo when uploading it - it will display correctly.

For incorrectly oriented photos, if you upload them to a computer, turn them 90 degrees, save them, and then upload them to the forum, they will show correctly. This can be tricky only because once edited, depending on the OS or the photo viewing application, they can show sideways on the computer, but right side up on the forum. Again though, the easiest way to prevent the need to edit the photo orientation is to take them with the phone held horizontally, and with the shutter button to the right.
Well this is not a solution to re-orienting photos.
This is the first time that I have seen this problem or solution talked about, so yes I can count the number of times!
I have saved and re-saved them on my computer in different orientations and they always upload in landscape.
Why can't I upload from my phone direct to the FGRV app?
Help.
Tom Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #12

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

Anyway I have to shut down for tonight before my eyes go rectangular.
I tried the app as well but it doesn't seem to have any provision to post photos. My understanding is that to post a photo it has to first be in my FGRV album then I can use it. So therefore I can only upload from my computer to the FGRV website. This I have figured out.
I can not access my album on the app.
All very frustrating as I would like to share my experience with the FGRV community. But this is taking so much time.
Tom Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #13

California
Registry
huh. my Pixel android phone, the pictures almost always come out oriented correctly when I share them or post them. i rarely post on forums w/ my phone however, I use my PC (with a KEYBOARD) for that.... hah!

Old 04-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jefferies View Post
I can not access my album on the app.
All very frustrating as I would like to share my experience with the FGRV community. But this is taking so much time.
Here's how I access photos from the app on Android. I assume it's similar on an iPhone. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_214126.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	118426