navigation bar at bottom? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
navigation bar at bottom?

Just wondering is anyone else is frustrated by having to return to the top of the screen each time I want to change pages for a different section of the forum?

Moderators: Would it be possible to place a navigation bar at the bottom of each screen to facilitate easier movement through the different sections?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There is a navigation feature to move within the pages of a thread at the lower right corner of the last post on the page. I use that a lot. But to move to a different thread or sub-forum, you're right: you have to scroll back to the top. The swipe pad on my laptop makes quick work of it, so it hasn't bothered me much. I generally just review recent threads and posts rather than going to a specific sub-forum (unless I am looking for specific information, in which case I use the Site Search/Google feature).

I do wish the list of new posts in the sidebar would scroll so you can work backward through recent forum activity like you can on the app. I actually use my phone and laptop in tandem: the app for reading and brief posts, the website on my laptop for longer posts, searching, links, and attachments.

We'll see what the moderators say about making changes, but with practice it gets easier.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Not sure if this helps but on a PC the Home key will scroll to the top of a page...

(Luddite here; I am soldiering on with my primary desktop until retirement...)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
We're looking into it. Some things we can do, some things require extra steps that have to be done again everytime there's a system update. Thanks for the feedback!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Not sure if this helps but on a PC the Home key will scroll to the top of a page...

(Luddite here; I am soldiering on with my primary desktop until retirement...)
Thanks for that tip. In addition to the Home, the End, the PageUp and PageDown keys also work.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I just use the back button on my mouse to take me back to the start of the main page where I came from, and from there I can navigate to where I wish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just use the back button on my mouse to take me back to the start of the main page where I came from, and from there I can navigate to where I wish.
iPad users do the same with the back arrow in the upper left corner of their screens. No need to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page. It appears with just a slight downward scroll movement.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
With a PC, You can use :

Ctrl + End = to run down at the end of the page

Ctrl + (Up arrow near "end" touch)

On the mostly mouses, You can push on the roller and four arrows appear around the mouse point. You'll have only move the mouse in any direction, come back with one clic with the left button.

If my explanations are not clear enough, I'm sure that another member be kind enough to clarify them.

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Janet
Trailer: Argosy
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Just wondering is anyone else is frustrated by having to return to the top of the screen each time I want to change pages for a different section of the forum?

Moderators: Would it be possible to place a navigation bar at the bottom of each screen to facilitate easier movement through the different sections?
Adding navigation at the bottom of the page will be complicated but there is a simple work around...

You can change your viewing preferences to display the newest posts in a thread at the TOP of the thread rather than added at the bottom. While this may seem backwards it actually makes viewing long threads much easier and speeds navigation because you don't have to scroll.

To make this change:
>usercp >>edit options. Scroll down and find Thread display options and change it to "newest first". Then scroll to the bottom of the page and save.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fgrv_display.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	90732
Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #10

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I appreciate all the suggestions for different ways to work around this issue. I don't normally use a mouse on my Apple computer. My MacBook is from 2005 so I don't have some of the newer features like scrolling in the track pad. I can use the two fingers to scrolls back to the top of the page but it's time consuming and annoying when I'm following an interesting thread. My request was thought to be simple and beneficial to many. I have found the extra navigation bar on the bottom of the screen on other forums to be very useful.

Janet, I prefer to read the conversation as it develops and changing the sort criteria doesn't change my need to scroll through the topic. I can continue to work using the tools provided and I appreciate your review of this issue.