Permission Error due to bad link - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Forum Admin, News & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
I just noticed that I get a permission error when trying to access the forum using the link on the left when viewing in the gallery. The link differs only by "www." which is missing in the Gallery's link.

Hope enough description was given.
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We're not ignoring you. A couple of us have tried to duplicate your problem with no success.

We'll keep looking into it.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Suz

Registry
Okay, Ken, I'm not positive, but I think I may have figured it out.

You can actually go into the main page of the albums then re-enter the forums on the left. If I click on a specific folder (i.e., Bigfoot) and viewing the pictures of the Bigfoot, then when I try to re-enter with the link on the left, that is when the problem occurs.

Actually, I don't think it's a problem. I think (and will verify this) that what it does is that it opens in a new window. When you try to re-enter through the link on the left, it assumes you are a guest and it doesn't recognize you as logged in. If you try to post without logging in, then it will give you an error message because you must sign in before you can post. I believe that if you have entered the albums while being logged into the forum, you should be able to just close the window and resume what you were doing.

If you came in that way, you simply need to log in and you'll be fine.

Does that make sense?

I'm going to try and do this one more time.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
Suz

Registry
Yep, that's what it does. It opens in a new window which makes the website think that I'm already logged on in the other window. It will let me read, but not post until I sign in. If I simply close the window, then I am right back into the forum where I'm already signed in.

Make sense?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
New windows opened from within FiberglassRV normally retain the login state; that is, if I follow a link from with the forum to another topic, which opens in a new window, I'm logged in there and can post; if I open a new window for the Home page from a logged-in forum window, then just click the left-side navigation pane's Forums link, I get another logged-in forum window. The only way I get a Guest forum window is from that http://fiberglassrv.com/board/ link in the navigation pane (which looks like every other navigation pane) in the individual album, which should presumably be http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/.

I think Ken has found the real problem - the incomplete link - and Suz has identified how to reproduce it. Fixing it is another matter...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Consider that the Album software is a different package from the rest of the board.

I'm not saying the way it's linked can't be changed; I don't have access to that part of the code. (Mike will have to check into it.)

What I am saying is it's not at all odd that the Albums behave differently than everything else on the website. It just seems odd because the interface looks the same.

Also, consider that given the choices we had with Album software programs, this one is very good. If we can't get the link straightened out, having to close its window to go back to the forum is a small price to pay.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
...Also, consider that given the choices we had with Album software programs, this one is very good. If we can't get the link straightened out, having to close its window to go back to the forum is a small price to pay.
I agree that Gallery is good, and this minor link issue isn't a big deal, even if it doesn't get fixed.

Looking at the page source delivered to my browser in the Albums, it appears that there is a mix of full HREF paths (specifying http://fiberglassrv.com/ ...) and relative paths (just /board/index.html, etc). The relative paths work on the home Album page but not within the albums which suggests that the page context changes from http://www.fiberglassrv.com to http://fiberglassrv.com . It may be possible to specify full paths everywhere - and fix that to include the "www" - so that the behaviour is consistent; an alternative might be to move the context of Gallery to http://www.fiberglassrv.com. I don't know enough about Gallery to know if either of these are trivial or not, so again I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #8

I just tried to duplicate the problem again on my end without success (which I guess is a good thing). If I do come across the error again, I will try to describe my steps better.

Thanks for looking into this guys,
Ken
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #9

1. From this topic, click on top-of-page Albums link: a new window opens (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/albums/) showing the top level album.
  2. Click on the left-side Forums link (which has no "www"): the same window switches to show the top level of the board, with my login intact
  3. Go back in the brower to the Albums top page.
  4. Click on the name of a sub-album (I used Bigfoot): the same window switches to show the chosen album (http://fiberglassrv.com/albums/view_...umName=Bigfoot) - notice the domain switch.
  5. Click on the left-side Forums link (which has no "www"): the same window switches to show the top level of the board, but this time I am no longer logged in (just Guest).
Or... from within this topic, while logged in, I can click the Forums link in this message, and a new window opens showing http://fiberglassrv.com/board/, and I'm Guest again. It is apparently not the Gallery software, it's the use of the domain without the specific www location.

Just for kicks, I did whole thing again in Firefox 1.5 and Mozilla 1.7.12, with the same result: it's apparently not a browser thing.

Still reproduceable; still not a big deal...
Old 02-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
OK, I think I fixed the problem.

Please let me know.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #11

Looks good now. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #12