POPUP -everytime, "Fiberglass RV News Delivered to your Email!" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Name: William E.
Trailer: "Investigating for Retirement"
Texas
POPUP -everytime, "Fiberglass RV News Delivered to your Email!"

everytime one visits this forum, this popup, shows up at the bottom of the screen its' annoying. there has to be away to turn this darn thing off - it is borderline harassment or torture.

it's like the republican, that shows up at the democrats daily luncheon, without an invitation.

how can i make this go away -
web3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's a pop-up for non-list members. If you enable cookies and sign in it shouldn't appear.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Right, Bob. Just login and it goes away...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by web3221 View Post
everytime one visits this forum, this popup, shows up at the bottom of the screen its' annoying. there has to be away to turn this darn thing off - it is borderline harassment or torture.

it's like the republican, that shows up at the democrats daily luncheon, without an invitation.

how can i make this go away -
Why shouldn't she show up? she's paying for the luncheon!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Why shouldn't she show up? she's paying for the luncheon!
lol,,,i got that one,,,,lol ^5
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Typically I browse with cookies off on my Android devices. I am subscribed to a couple of FiberglassRV forums, so I receive daily emails with links to new and updated threads in those forums. Following those links, my browser opens the thread and the "Fiberglass Daily" popup appears. Upons closing it, the popup reappears--over and over again. If I understand correctly, to eliminate the popup I must turn on cookies AND log in? What a nuisance! And what a way to discourage, rather than encourage, the casual user from becoming interested in the forum. Can this be changed?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
What a nuisance! And what a way to discourage, rather than encourage, the casual user from becoming interested in the forum. Can this be changed?
Only if you wish to donate heavily to the owner of the forum so they don't need to sell ads to keep it alive.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Thanks for the reply, Carol. Can you explain the connection between that popup and revenue for the site? The popup verbage sounds like a service to users rather than a revenue generating effort.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Carol. Can you explain the connection between that popup and revenue for the site? The popup verbage sounds like a service to users rather than a revenue generating effort.
Trust me its a revenue generator for the site.

You can read all about how at 10 Ways to Earn Money From Your Site. Pop Ups are #6 on the list.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
We use the popup to encourage folks to join and to get them to subscribe to the newsletter. Lots of folks read the new digest daily. We WANT them to participate because the true value of a form like this is the content that it contains - more people posting = a better forum.

We actually show fewer ads to those who are logged in. We use cookies to "remember" the viewing options you have selected with your account including to NOT see the popup. We also use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes.

We don't share or sell our member list ever - but we do survive on ad revenue and so displaying ads is a necessity. We do this instead of having a "pay to view" model or "membership required" model. I understand privacy concerns however and as a viewer you are free to make your own choices.

On most browsers and devices you can control cookie handling on a site by site basis; allowing cookie exchange with a specific site but not changing your global cookie handling scheme.

If you are logged in using a full browser you can change your settings regarding popups, e-mail and other notifications here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/p...do=editoptions BUT again, these changes are associated with your account and you must be logged in for them to work.