"Recommended Products Section?" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I like the product poll area concept.

There might have to be a sortofa/kindofa limit on how long something is up for suggestions before being posted to the "Recommended products" section - but if later posters disagree with a recommendation, I'm sure we'll ALL hear about it! The section mod will then have to revisit a poll or modify the "recommendation"

At NO time is it the intent to say that this forum recommends using product "X" - but to condense things to where existing threads (and new ones) give an idea that MEMBERS have found that Product X to work well and that Brand A is somewhat less satisfactory. This will have to made VERY clear in the section and maybe even in every recommendation, using "canned' wording.

If there is ever any attempt to have the forum receive any form of compensation for making a recommendation, then the entire form, never mind the recommendations section, loses ALL credibility and becomes much like most Hot-rod type magazines, boating magazines, aircraft magazines, RV magazines, and others. (The fact that Good Sam and Camping World are one and the same causes me to lose 100% of any faith I may ever placed in Good Sam as a member-centered organization)

Yes Carol - painting fiberglass is the same as painting anything else - ask a Corvette owner! Prep is the key and cleanliness is paramount for any form of work. Paint only magnifies flaws - it never hides them (much as those of us who qualify for Guiness recognition as 'world's worst bodyman" wish it would hide things!)

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Donna's not just good at research, she remembers things...

In fact, I figure between Donna and BC Dave, we could pull up about 90% of the important stuff discussed on here over the past 10 years!!
Especially valuable for info from before the big hack.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In thhhhis cahhhnnner, Glassjaw Jack, who promises to wash the thing til wheels stop valve-side up and NEVER recoat with RMP. And, in thhhis cahhhnnner, Combination Carol, Champeeen of the Great Northwest, who waxes on and off once a year. Time will tell

jack
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #32

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
......... Paint only magnifies flaws - it never hides them ............
Right, that's what caulking is for.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Right, that's what caulking is for.
Silly-cone no doubt!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #34

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I think a sub-forum like suggested would likely just get all clogged up, not unlike one anywhere else, as folks parlay to position their favourite product as the one that should be the recommended one. Too many good ideas, that can't all be shared by everyone.

It would be a grey area because it would just overlap all the maintenance and how-to sub-forums, IMHO.

To be honest, other than making a post, I don't really pay attention to what sub-forum a post is listed under. I click on new posts and scan for any of interest, dependent where they were posted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #35

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=BCDave;315016
Yes Carol - painting fiberglass is the same as painting anything else - ask a Corvette owner! Prep is the key and cleanliness is paramount for any form of work. Paint only magnifies flaws - it never hides them (much as those of us who qualify for Guiness recognition as 'world's worst bodyman" wish it would hide things!)[/QUOTE]

LOL Dave you have also highlighted the very basic problem with the suggestion of product recommendations. Unless the party who weeds through all the posts and polls actually reads everything being said and bothers to follow up on a bit of their own research outside of whats posted here before posting a recommendation it will be a problem.

You obviously did not read Jack's post where he posted what he found when he went to the boat lists "Deep contamination of porous gelcoat is a concern for those who wish to paint over gelcoat" Yes paint prep is important and I am pretty sure the party who does most of the big $$$ boats at the marine in Vancouver is well aware of that and its the reason why they go nuts when they see anyone putting floor finish on their boats gelcoat. Because he knows that all the prep in the world isnt going to fix the problems that product caused in regards to repainting the boat in the future.

Bottom line is you can have a poll on a topic and you are going to get a bunch of people all saying its great, its good, its the best but the problem is they may not have any idea about what the long term ramifications of using the product actually are and or safety concerns or warnings.... they are using the product because everyone else is doing it and it looks good.

Kind of like kids - all their friends are using a certain drug & nothing has ever happened to any of them so it must be ok until a friend dies or like the Ford Pinto - top seller could not make enough of them - all the neighbors bought them so they must be a good car & so a guy goes out and buys one for the wife & kids ... a great car until one day it exploded into flames and the wife and children died - guy didnt know that it had happened many times before he bought the car - simple because Ford didnt tell him there were already concerns about the cars safety record in the industry.

I realize those are sad cases and I only used them to make the point that just because everyone is using something doesn't make it a good & or safe product. How many products in your life time are you aware of that were all the rage.... yet a decade later they are deemed totally inappropriate or unsafe and the younger generation has good laugh at the fact people ever actually used them.

Google is your friend and it works well on this list in finding relevant information on many products but the good news is it also brings up all the posts - the good and the bad and it brings up information from outside of this list. So its up to the individual doing the search to do their own due diligence as whether or not the product is the one for them or not - not as has been suggested that we have someone in the background deciding what they will read and not read in regards to a product and then deciding for us whats worth repeating or not in regards to a products usage. As I said before its a nice idea but IMHO its just not a real viable one. Besides isn't Consumers Reports suppose to be the one we turn to for unbiased product reviews?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Besides isn't Consumers Reports suppose to be the one we turn to for unbiased product reviews?

Why yes it is... Just yesterday I picked up the Consumer Reports special edition on the care and maintenance of obsolete water heaters installed in 30 year old fiberglass trailers!

There is NO SUCH THING as "THE" definitive source, but what is on here is a compendium of people who all have a common interest, and have tried various things, and are willing to share their ideas on what they have found to work - for them.

Listing RedMax Pro #3 as a product that many on here seem to think works well may not increase its use. It may not decrease its use.

All I am suggesting is compiling what is already recommended by members.

If we are gonna be afraid that someone may use and subsequently find that they DO NOT like it - well I guess we better take down all the sections on "Care & feeding", "Owners helping owners" etc, etc as someone may find the thread on Red Max without the help of an index and the same issues will arise.

Sorry, Carol - I must be extraordinarily dense today ("today?" she says) but I am missing your point.

You feel Red Max is not proven over the long haul and may cause issues later. If that is the case, we better do a search on here (using Gargoyle) and expunge any reference to it lest someone actually find a reference to it and try to use it!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #37

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Why yes it is... Just yesterday I picked up their special edition on the care and maintenance of obsolete water heaters installed in 30 year old fiberglass trailers!.
I thought that was what we had a Document center for?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #38

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Polyglo was mentioned in the same vein as the floor coatings by the spraygun jockeys, Carol. Personally, I believe anyone, pro or amateur, who can do the prep to avoid silicone fisheye can probably come up with a solvent wash for either the real McCoy or Brand X, whether acetone, ammonia, proprietary removers, tire cleaners.

jack
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #39

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Personally, I believe anyone, pro or amateur, who can do the prep to avoid silicone fisheye can probably come up with a solvent wash for either the real McCoy or Brand X, whether acetone, ammonia, proprietary removers, tire cleaners. jack
Yup your probable right and lots of time as well....not something a trailer owner would be happy having to pay the body shop for the time to do..... starting to sound a lot like using silicone
Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I got it!!!

Instead of "Best" products or even "Recommended" products how about.....

"Recommended Reading" and Dave just posts links under appropriate titles with standard boiler plate disclaimer.
Disclaimer:
" Your mileage may vary. Not everyone agrees. Some of this stuff if done incorrectly may totally mess up your RV or work out great anyway. Some of this stuff done correctly may not do what you think it will and could totally wreck you life or your RV. Electrical work is dangerous, you could die. Or have a great new feature, who knows how good or lucky you are? Not us!

Some cleaning, painting, fiberglassing, waxing or decorating products can kill you. Especially if drunk in large quantities or sniffed for hours in a small RV while trying to de-gunk, repaint, repair, make shiny or pretty it up.

Some people recommend cheap junk you will hate having purchased or think you got a great deal on. Online reviews are your friend, not to say some of them are not written by people with whom I disagree completely. Or not.

Any reference by members to alcoholic beverages while working on or camping in a fiberglass RV does not constitute an endorsement by the moderators of such behavior except for the camping in fiberglass RV but it is a personal choice you made, don't blame us if it does not work out and you wish you had a stickie.

The moderators love fiberglass RV's they might even like you if they met you but it's up to you to decide if you want to do anything you read about here or just figure the person who wrote it is crazy.

"
Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #41

British Columbia
Registry

Its perfect!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #42

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup your probable right and lots of time as well....not something a trailer owner would be happy having to pay the body shop for the time to do..... starting to sound a lot like using silicone

Wow! were you a politician in a past life?

He points out that having ANY kind of wax/preservative/shiny-stuff on there is gonna mean a future body shop will have to use some form of readily-available, cheap and handy wash product to take it off, and you turn that into a "see! Told ya so! If U use Red Max you'll have to pay a zillion of extra bux to get yer trailer repainted?"

I thot only politicians and reporters could get from X to Y without any steps in between.

I am NOT defending RM3 here - I use, I love it, but U obviously seem to think it was developed by the devil hisself (herself?).

I used it as an example of a product that I first heard of on here, (never heard of it before) and came across it when the thread was already a 5-volume novel, tried it and now I recommend it to nearly everyone I meet. I have used it on cars , on trucks, on an aluminum-skinned mo-ho, and have not been disappointed. I would NOT have come across it all if someone hadn't posted to the board on a day when I went on here, so that it was a 'new post". Otherwise, my Boler would still be a very dusty, chalky pale pink, and my son's Surfside would be chalky and have moss impregnating it. Now Boler is back to the original tan and shines better than when it was new. Ditto son's Surfside - now back to being almond-white, and very shiny, looking brand new. Yes I recommend it. From what I have seen, many (not all) others who have tried it also recommend it to other folks as well!

Of course, as you say, time will tell. After all, fiberglass itself has only been around since 1932 and it has only been used in formed products since 1938, so, as you say, its WAY too soon to tell if there are many negatives.