"Recommended Products Section?" - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #57
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I can't decide whether to put this thread on my "ignore" list, or pop another batch of popcorn.

In the meantime I think I'll use floor wax on my lawn, trailer ST rated tires on my Corvette and use butyl putty to assemble my aquarium.

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #58
Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I don't post too often but there seems to be a simple answer. Just as you would google an item and then check it for reviews, that could be done here. Example: I am looking for fiberglass polish: up comes several recommended names. Then I do a search on those to see everyone's opinions. Generic first, then specific search. A starting place and then opinions....then you make your own decision.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #59
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
What if you listed products that seemed to have lots of support, and then had an open poll where people could vote on the product? Can you disabled comments and still allow a poll? Then I could look at Red Max and see what others thought (and maybe a poll question could be "Do you believe this is better than PoliGlow?") Or better yet, allow reviews of the product, but make the reviews go through the moderator- general comments NOT related to an informative review would not be passed.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #60
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually Dave at this point there is a user here who is trying very hard to politely and with humor point out the pit falls of the question you have put to the list. Yes the points made were focused on one product but that was the product you choose to use in your opening question and it was the product you choose to use as an example. Thus the reason it has been used as examples of how practices of product selection can go wrong.

As a result I find your above post very offensive and only supports my feeling that the suggestion made for a product recommendation section is full of pit falls.
Agree Carol

This board would loss half the members with Dave.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #61
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I don't suppose anyone present ringside here has noticed that there is nothing, nada, zilch, zero, don't see it anywhere in the original Not Polyglo thread about the anticipation of negative consequences for those who wish to paint fg trailers.
Nope nothing on the original thread. IMHO people have not posted their concerns to the original thread, as they are aware as I that it would end up in a p****ng match (which is also why I have never expressed my concerns previously), just as it ended up being here. Even though this should have been a much safer place to express concerns as the OP asked for feed back on their suggestion & used the product in their example. Its clear they were not expecting anyone to use their example product to highlight the flaws in their product selection criteria. Dang why would anyone want to be subjected to that

Tires is another product I might suggest we would have a big problem ascertain if the majority really do "recommended" brand/type. There may be lots of people who will not post on that topic either who have had not so great experience/opinion on some of the tires being recommended by other people here. They will not publicly state their concerns as they wish to avoid the heated discussion which all to often starts on the topic of tires as well.

Bottom line is we all have biases, real or perceived and particularly true when the people actually use X product/brand

Tutorials on how to do - Great!
Listing the various product options to accomplish the task - Great!

Making specific "recommended" product or brand IMHO not so good.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #62
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Smile Finish products

I have found that buying something that says "marine" or "aircraft" can jack up the price of something quite normal otherwise.

I clean and polish Homelet with any of your standard auto products. Will probably try RMP when I run out of my present supply. But I don't understand why RMP would would be any harder to deal with than any standard auto polish or wax. Wax is wax. You find out what it is and use the appropriate concoction to remove it. If alcohol don't work, use Goo B Gone or whatever.

What would be interesting would be RMP over an auto wax and sections of each presenting when trying to remove, and the remover for one doesn't work for the other and vice versa.
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #63
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
This has gotten WAY off topic and is now focussing on ONE product with ONE person taking a stand on THAT product, rather than focussing on the idea of establishing a "recommended practices/products" section

If I was a mod, I'd be firing off warning PMs to several parties by now, and thinking about closing the thread
Good Idea.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Closed Thread