"Recommended Products Section?" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry

Its perfect!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup your probable right and lots of time as well....not something a trailer owner would be happy having to pay the body shop for the time to do..... starting to sound a lot like using silicone

Wow! were you a politician in a past life?

He points out that having ANY kind of wax/preservative/shiny-stuff on there is gonna mean a future body shop will have to use some form of readily-available, cheap and handy wash product to take it off, and you turn that into a "see! Told ya so! If U use Red Max you'll have to pay a zillion of extra bux to get yer trailer repainted?"

I thot only politicians and reporters could get from X to Y without any steps in between.

I am NOT defending RM3 here - I use, I love it, but U obviously seem to think it was developed by the devil hisself (herself?).

I used it as an example of a product that I first heard of on here, (never heard of it before) and came across it when the thread was already a 5-volume novel, tried it and now I recommend it to nearly everyone I meet. I have used it on cars , on trucks, on an aluminum-skinned mo-ho, and have not been disappointed. I would NOT have come across it all if someone hadn't posted to the board on a day when I went on here, so that it was a 'new post". Otherwise, my Boler would still be a very dusty, chalky pale pink, and my son's Surfside would be chalky and have moss impregnating it. Now Boler is back to the original tan and shines better than when it was new. Ditto son's Surfside - now back to being almond-white, and very shiny, looking brand new. Yes I recommend it. From what I have seen, many (not all) others who have tried it also recommend it to other folks as well!

Of course, as you say, time will tell. After all, fiberglass itself has only been around since 1932 and it has only been used in formed products since 1938, so, as you say, its WAY too soon to tell if there are many negatives.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #43

British Columbia
Oh - by the way ("buy the weigh"?) this is already turning into an excellent argument for why the "products recommended by members" MUST be accessible ONLY by a mod and that each thread MUST be locked as soon as posted - otherwise - well, it is already a turning into a ("bodily waste eliminating") contest.

This has gotten WAY off topic and is now focussing on ONE product with ONE person taking a stand on THAT product, rather than focussing on the idea of establishing a "recommended practices/products" section

If I was a mod, I'd be firing off warning PMs to several parties by now, and thinking about closing the thread
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think that Red Max is so good that I may even use it on my linoleum floor.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #45

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Chapeau Tom!

jack
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Wow! were you a politician in a past life?
.... "see! Told ya so! If U use Red Max you'll have to pay a zillion of extra bux to get yer trailer repainted?"....

I thot only politicians and reporters could get from X to Y without any steps in between......

...I am NOT defending RM3 here - I use, I love it, but U obviously seem to think it was developed by the devil hisself (herself?)....

....Otherwise, my Boler would still be a very dusty, chalky pale pink, and my son's Surfside would be chalky and have moss impregnating it. Now Boler is back to the original tan and shines better than when it was new. Ditto son's Surfside - now back to being almond-white, and very shiny, looking brand new. ....
Good grief calling people a politician! What has come over us!?! (note to self re-read lord of the flies)

I have a 35 year old gelcoat, it's not going to buff out smooth so it can be waxed to shiny, the pits are too deep. Buff out the pitting in the gelcoat and parts of my Scamp won't be white anymore.

I tried RM3 based on reading a lot of the posts to get a feel for what everyone had to say. I also explored painting options and the cost was a big consideration.

RM3 was in my opinion the better option for my situation. It's my RV so I get to decide. It looks great, so I love it too. If it was newer I might have been satisfied with results of Starbrite polish I used first, and yes I had to completely clean that off to do the RM3. But then I had a bunch of scrubbing to do anyway because Starbrite did not prevent dirt and black run down stains from embedding in gelcoat.

I don't really think any product that does not "fill in" the gelcoat pits could give me a shine. If it does that cleaning it for painting will be work.

I'm reasonably certain I myself could clean the RM3 off to the point where scamp could be painted without issue. BUT I have some experience painting cars and such. Which is probably why I did my decals and touch up painting before RM3 even though I was dying to see some shine.

To be fair I would have to tell a paint shop about the RM3 and they might want to do their own extra cleaning and charge me for it or decline to paint it if they felt there was too much risk of the job coming out poorly.

Would not take more than one screwed up paint job to really create an attitude about something in a shop. Paint the boat, boat look horrible. Most folks don't like losing money like that. So even if it is a good option if your not going to paint don't expect that shop to recommend it, ever.

Dave or anyone could if they wished condense all of this chatter to the basic issues pro & con for folks to consider. And link to the thread for more info so that people could make up their own minds. Sort of like a forum "favorites" with some pre-info. And of course disclaimer.

Recommended Reading not products. So that folks can find out about things like poliglow or RM3 or Barkeepers Friend or ... in one place does make a lot of sense.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #47

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that Red Max is so good that I may even use it on my linoleum floor.
You can do that?

Wow - it's more versatile than I thot!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #48

Quote:
You can do that?

Wow - it's more versatile than I thot!
Oh yea. It makes the blind walk and the lame see.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Listing RedMax Pro #3 as a product that many on here seem to think works well may not increase its use. It may not decrease its use.

<cut>

Sorry, Carol - I must be extraordinarily dense today ("today?" she says) but I am missing your point.

You feel Red Max is not proven over the long haul and may cause issues later. If that is the case, we better do a search on here (using Gargoyle) and expunge any reference to it lest someone actually find a reference to it and try to use it!
Dave the simple point I was attempting to make is whether or not *Any* product is good bad and ugly can on a list like this be very subjective.

I only highlighted the RedMax Pro issue as your orignal post on this topic suggested that you were going to put down RedMax Pro as a recommended product. Really? basing that on what? The number of people here who have decided in a short 21 month time frame to try it?

As far as whether or not posting something here as a recommended product will increase its usage... you arent seriously questioning that are you? LOL How/why do you think the use of RedMax got its start in popularity with fiberglass trailer folks? Trust me you post here that only tires marked with ST should be used it will indeed influence more than a few peoples buying decisions LOL although as I said previously the issue of unbiased posting will no doubt come into play in that regard which is another of my attempted points. Which is a concern over Confirmation Bias in deciding what gets recommended what does not and the points made or not made in regards to the product. But then again based on shear number of people using ST tires without any issues then perhaps they should well be the recommended tire.

Your suggestion that I find & post references regarding my concerns with Red Max Pro is also one of the big points I was attempting to make. As the party suggesting that RedMax be a recommended product I suggest the burden of proof should be placed on the party making a product recommendation to find something with some level of authority off this list that supports any product recommendation. Using Redmax as an example, one would expect to see some references to a fiberglass company or boat manufacture recommending the use of Red Max Pro on fiberglass? It would at least give some validation that its a recommended product based on something more than the fact that a lot of people here have found it to be a cheap quick fix to a common problem.... just as a lot of people has found silicone caulking to be a cheap quick fix. Are you going to be recommending silicone caulking as well? No? why not? Whats that you say? it fails somewhere between 2 and 15 years and has to been redone? humm whats that you say? RedMax has only been on that trailer for how long??? How many people here have had it on their trailer for more than 4 years? If as you suggested originally that RedMax is a recommended product bases only on the number of people here recommending it & long term usage results aren't needed for its recommendation- you would on that bases IMHO have no sound reason for not also listing Silicone caulking as recommended product also. We all know there are still a lot more people using it than not - yes on Fiberglass trailers and I have a hunch way more than are using Red Max pro. One things for sure we know for a fact that both have one thing in common, both take work to get off

As I have said before in a perfect world a recommended product list would be a great idea but IMHO its all very subjective and a slipper sloop.

As I have no idea as to how I can make my concerns any clearer I will rest my case.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Oh - by the way ("buy the weigh"?) this is already turning into an excellent argument for why the "products recommended by members" MUST be accessible ONLY by a mod and that each thread MUST be locked as soon as posted - otherwise - well, it is already a turning into a ("bodily waste eliminating") contest.

This has gotten WAY off topic and is now focussing on ONE product with ONE person taking a stand on THAT product, rather than focussing on the idea of establishing a "recommended practices/products" section

If I was a mod, I'd be firing off warning PMs to several parties by now, and thinking about closing the thread

Actually Dave at this point there is a user here who is trying very hard to politely and with humor point out the pit falls of the question you have put to the list. Yes the points made were focused on one product but that was the product you choose to use in your opening question and it was the product you choose to use as an example. Thus the reason it has been used as examples of how practices of product selection can go wrong.

As a result I find your above post very offensive and only supports my feeling that the suggestion made for a product recommendation section is full of pit falls.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #51

Michigan
Quote:
.....Are you going to be recommending silicone caulking as well? No? why not? Whats that you say? it fails somewhere between 2 and 15 years and has to been redone? ....
Who gets 2 years out of silly-con caulk? From what I have seen the blasted stuff considers peeling at the edges a part of it's curing process.

Carol I also think in fairness there are a large pool of people that have had silicon caulk not do what it was intended to do, seal a leak. A high negative feed back in actual usage where the product fails to perform as intended is different than a speculative or potential negative.

I also expect caulk or butyl tape to last for many years, a wax or polish job has a much shorter expected life span.

Poliglow a weaker and more expensive but nearly identical product has a record, that record does include I have no doubt some messed up paint jobs. But poliglow is sold for use on fiberglass it just does not work as well and costs lots more.

So provide condensed version and link you might have something like...(yes I'm returning to the original topic)

A condensed version to go with link to not Poliglow TWT:
Many people have been using these two floor finish products with good results to shine and protect their fiberglass RV's. Red Max #3 and Zep Wet Look available for around $15 from Lowes or Home Depot are floor polishes similar to Poliglow fiberglass polish. The floor polish is heavier duty since it has to be tough enough to walk on yet costs much less.

Pro - Provides a very tough, high gloss finish and can restore impressive shine especially to very old weathered trailers. Shine appears more durable and is easier to maintain than much more expensive and similar products. Very easy to keep surface clean after application.

Con -If you plan to paint, removing this is going to make prepping for paint more work and if not removed thoroughly can spoil the paint job as can any wax or polish. If you plan to paint, then using this product is probably not a good idea. Usage of this product by members of this forum dates from 2010 so long term results or complications may not be known.

Caveats:
Trailer must be thoroughly clean before application. Any dirt or stains will be sealed in and any other residual wax or polish may cause RM3 to not adhere properly.

Application of too heavy a coat causes runs which if not wiped up before they dry will harden and require stripping and re-application in that area to get a good finish.

The manufactures stripper, amonia solution or tire wash option at the coin operated car wash are generally accepted removal methods. You should test in an inconspicuous spot on your own trailer to confirm safety. Not a lot of experience or information exists for removal followed by painting using the above removal methods.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #52

Michigan
I really do want to know if people think a format like this would be suitable to address the issues raised on having a products area. I have no doubt that someone who is following a thread or discussion on a product can pull out the important bits as a lead in.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #53

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Oh yea. It makes the blind walk and the lame see.
Then it should really work well on my old engineer boots, be all shiny and my knees would not hurt while wearing them. Oh wait is that backwards? So I would see better but knees would still hurt. Hmmm.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #54

Delaware
Actually, that's a pretty decent synopsis of the ping pong match over the floor waxes. We need a recording secretary who can create a dispassionate summary of protracted and tedious debates by a very few members. That way the mod squad could simply delete these hobby horse wars.

jack
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Who gets 2 years out of silly-con caulk? From what I have seen the blasted stuff considers peeling at the edges a part of it's curing process.
The format you propose is real good and well thought out and if all the product recommendations were researched & done that well I would not have any concerns with it. As stated my concerns are with how what is written or not written about any product, what if any off this list research is there to support the recommendation and by whom is it decided what is written or not written. Who here doesn't have biases? Not sure its far to ask moderators who are already busy to have to proof read all the proposed additions before they are posted.

Your comments re the silly-con well noted and understood I simple used the silly-con as an example of how guidelines/bases for determining what is or is not a recommended product need to be clear and fair and that it may not be as simple as some think to do that.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #56

Delaware
I don't suppose anyone present ringside here has noticed that there is nothing, nada, zilch, zero, don't see it anywhere in the original Not Polyglo thread about the anticipation of negative consequences for those who wish to paint fg trailers. But after I mention the views of the fg boat crew and Carol co-opts them, they're instantly incorporated into the spitballed product speal! Talk about the squeaky wheel! So we have a product appraisal "update" based on the the views and skews of the few. I say we let our fellow members have their fun. Maybe we won't all have the foresight to avoid every pitfall of popular enthusiasm for what's happnin now but we don't any of us see every angle of the long view. I continue to think that "how to" tutorials are a great idea and some folks here have posted impromptu descriptions of their trailer renovations which fill that bill in a rough and ready way. As for getting the shakes about what not to do to avoid screwing up what I (or you) may want to do later, we won't and can't think of everything.

jack
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #57

I can't decide whether to put this thread on my "ignore" list, or pop another batch of popcorn.

In the meantime I think I'll use floor wax on my lawn, trailer ST rated tires on my Corvette and use butyl putty to assemble my aquarium.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #58

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I don't post too often but there seems to be a simple answer. Just as you would google an item and then check it for reviews, that could be done here. Example: I am looking for fiberglass polish: up comes several recommended names. Then I do a search on those to see everyone's opinions. Generic first, then specific search. A starting place and then opinions....then you make your own decision.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #59

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
What if you listed products that seemed to have lots of support, and then had an open poll where people could vote on the product? Can you disabled comments and still allow a poll? Then I could look at Red Max and see what others thought (and maybe a poll question could be "Do you believe this is better than PoliGlow?") Or better yet, allow reviews of the product, but make the reviews go through the moderator- general comments NOT related to an informative review would not be passed.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #60

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Actually Dave at this point there is a user here who is trying very hard to politely and with humor point out the pit falls of the question you have put to the list. Yes the points made were focused on one product but that was the product you choose to use in your opening question and it was the product you choose to use as an example. Thus the reason it has been used as examples of how practices of product selection can go wrong.

As a result I find your above post very offensive and only supports my feeling that the suggestion made for a product recommendation section is full of pit falls.
Agree Carol

This board would loss half the members with Dave.
Closed Thread