Refresh the old lady's memory? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Refresh the old lady's memory?

Tech question:
It's been awhile since I posted here regularly but as I seem to remember one can quote a post from one string and have it appear in another. If that's true can someone please tell me how?
And if it's not true be gentle lol this wouldnt be the only symptom of creeping full geezerhood I've been exhibiting lately

Thanks, I hope
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
... as I seem to remember one can quote a post from one string and have it appear in another. ...
Do you mean think that? ^^^^^^^^

If not, please explain further.. what string?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
On a Mac, control click on the number in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to link to. Choose "copy", then paste into your post. I suspect it is the same on a PC...

Here is a link to the first post in this thread
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Do you mean think that? ^^^^^^^^

If not, please explain further.. what string?
I'm not sure how else to express it- the function allows for the intact transfer of a specific post including the poster's name/avatar to a string it didn't originally appear in. IIRC, that person even gets a notifier that their post has been responded to. I know it exists on other forums I've used, tho perhaps not this one. Unless of course I imagined it in all cases .

Linking to a specific response would work too and almost as well
Old 10-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
On a Mac, control click on the number in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to link to. Choose "copy", then paste into your post. I suspect it is the same on a PC...

Here is a link to the first post in this thread
lol OOPS, you must have been typing while I was Jon, thanks. That's the second function I mentioned
Old 10-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
...the function allows for the intact transfer of a specific post including the poster's name/avatar to a string it didn't originally appear in. IIRC, that person even gets a notifier that their post has been responded to. I know it exists on other forums I've used, tho perhaps not this one. Unless of course I imagined it in all cases .

Linking to a specific response would work too and almost as well
A few things will be a little different between Mac and PC, perhaps a little different with different web browsers, and even more different with the app(s). My comments apply to using the web site form of the forum on a PC with Chrome browser and will likely be more than you asked, but perhaps we can find what you are looking for in my reply.

The thread post number / count that Jon mentioned, in the upper right of each post, is a hyper-link to that exact post (instead of the start of the thread). Like all (or most all) hyper-links, you can left-click and select "copy link address" then paste that link wherever you want to. You can choose to add the hyper-link to a word or series of words, as in this example which is the link to this very post. Or you can just paste the link in the editing window on this forum and it will parse the link (assuming the options are set to do so). In that case it looks like this:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post721478

Note that it parses to the Thread Title even though it is a link to only one post in that thread.

If you are replying to a post then just use the Quote button, and the post you are replying to will appear in "Quote Tags" along with the poster's user name and the master number of the original post. When you submit your reply, this will appear as "Originally Posted by ..." with the users name and right arrow in a blue circle. That symbol has a link back to the quoted text so you can find the original version quickly. If the quoted post is long, and / or you are only addressing a part of it, then its good to edit out the non-essential text from between the "Quote Tags" in the editor. The reader can use the blue circle with arrow to go to the original full post if they want to read it all.

I believe that the poster will only get an email when there is a reply (or any new post in a specific thread) if the settings for "Thread Subscription Mode" are appropriately set. I think the default is to subscribe to a thread when one make a post and send email updates when the thread is added to but that is controlled in your Default Thread Subscription Mode settings on this page.

There is also some information about how to read and post messages in this FAQ.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You want to use the multi-quote option ("").

You can multi-quote a post in one thread and it will pull up in a reply in another thread. Despite the name, it works even for a single post.

I believe you get a message in small font that you have to click to include quotes from another thread. Haven't used this feature recently so my recollection is a bit fuzzy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

Registry
HEY! That might be it, Jon in AZ. let me try, randomly quoting from the newest post on the list to the right..here goes
Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #9

Registry
(&*$^%&
No joy
Old 10-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You want to use the multi-quote option (").

You can multi-quote a post in one thread and it will pull it up in a reply in another thread. Despite the name, it works even for a single post.

I believe you get a message in small font that you have to click to include quote(s) from another thread. Haven't used this feature recently so my recollection is a bit fuzzy.
Now were are up to the class, Advanced Forum Usage 410.

In this class Professor Gordon teaches that this function is intended to tie together multiple related comments from different postings. To use it, click the "multi-quote" button on all the posts you want to quote. The multi-quote button for the ones you selected will turn color. Then click the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the posts, and the quoted material will already be presented in your editing window.

A less elegant way to accomplish the same thing (with a web browser) is to right-click on the quote button on the posts that you want to quote, and choose "open in new window." Then, in these new windows, edit the quote as you see fit. Then cut and paste the entire text including the "Quote" tags into the editing window of your reply.

I only mention this less-elegant method because it was the one I used to add multiple quotes to a reply, up to today when Jon educated me about "Multi-Quote."
Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Refresh the old lady's memory?

Quote:
(&*$^%&
No joy
I was on my phone before so I couldn't test, but I'm on my laptop now and the multi-quote feature does work. The trick is you get this message in tiny font under the reply window:
You have selected # posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts.

Click on "quote these posts," and the post(s) from the other thread will pop up in the window. Then finish as usual.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote