Search Help, what am I doing wrong? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Search Help, what am I doing wrong?

Hello, I'm trying to search for "Bed Sizes" but I keep getting 100 pages with everything under the sun in them. I thought quotes were suppose to narrow the search to that exact phrase. Can somebody please educate me on how to properly search for a specific phrase? I'm looking for Trillium Bed sizes. I'd like to know how to search properly for when I tried to find "Dinette Bunk" I got 100's of pages for Dinette and for Bunk but not the two together.

Thanks,
Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Don't have the answer but thanks for asking the question. I have the same problem narrowing down searches.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Bed size is such a common topic that it seems to show up in almost every post. That's why you'll get hundreds and hundreds of hits...

In the Search tool (between New Posts and Quick Links) I always used "Advanced Search" in the drop-down menu. Then, if you can remember any detail of the post or thread you are searching for, if you are searching for a thread you have read before, see if you can use that detail as a filter in the search.

I had remembered that there was a thread about "Bed Size", so I narrowed my "search for keyword" for that phrase In The Title Only, not in the entire post. I also remembered a specific member, Brian B-P, contributed a chart of all the trailers he collected data for within that thread, so to the right of the Keyword search field I also put his name in "Search by user name" field. I knew he didn't start the thread, so I left the sub-field set at "Find Posts" and not Find Threads.

Since I couldn't remember any more details, I left the rest of the Advanced Search Fields at their default settings, and clicked on Search Now.

This produced only 15 Threads to look thru, and the 1st one in the list was the one I happened to want.

Lets see if you can replicate my search procedure and see if you find what you want, OK?
(Sorry, the ex-classroom teacher {US Navy Service School Command, 1978-1982} in me won't just give you the answer)
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

Ok, I found the bed thread, Thanks! But I still cant find any discussions on adding a dinette bunk since I dont have any details about the posts. So does that mean there is no way to narrow down results without knowing any information about a thread?

Thanks again,
Melissa
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Ok, I found the bed thread, Thanks! But I still cant find any discussions on adding a dinette bunk since I dont have any details about the posts. So does that mean there is no way to narrow down results without knowing any information about a thread?

Thanks again,
Melissa
You might try using google to search the forum. I set up a custom search that will only search this forum Give it a try
Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Awesome search feature, Janet. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You might try using google to search the forum. I set up a custom search that will only search this forum Give it a try
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
I agree! Thanks for sharing your custom search Janet. I have added it to my favorites and already used it several times.
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hi Janet,
The search works good on some posts and not on others. It must have something to do with the conversion to the new software and Google archiving older search results.
One result I looked for was this:
www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=34611

When I tried the Google link, it brought me to here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-37305.html

Hopefully this will work itself out over time, in the meantime one can use the Google info to help find the posts.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote