This site clogs up my computer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Memory could be an issue with some other people's computers who are having issues, but mine has plenty of memory left.

This site has a few more ads than I'm used to but nothing crazy. I can't view the website of our local newspaper. With the video ads and other ads, it immediately freezes my computer. Most other news sites with videos running slow it way down. A lot of content online assumes a modern, fast, updated computer with a strong connection. There's a lot going on which would have taken way too much bandwidth for older computers and connections.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I run an old..OLD 2000 desk top with dial up service and other then the minute of so to get to the first page it doesn't have any other issues.
17 years old? And dial up? I'm amazed that it even still works at all.
Ever thought of donating it to the Smithsonian?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
17 years old? And dial up? I'm amazed that it even still works at all.
Ever thought of donating it to the Smithsonian?
We had dial up service until very recently . That's all that was offered in our area . They recently upgraded the service and the price went from $14.99 / month to $69.99 / month for internet.
We dropped the internet service as did a lot of our neighbors.
We can also get cable TV now but that costs $99 / month so we don't have that either. We've managed to survive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #24

Name: Chester
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Same problem here. But I do have an old obsolete G5 Mac and the only browser that's available is Foxfire. I'm sure that it's time to upgrade to something a bit more mobile friendly. I am considering a Mac/Apple laptop. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Your browser is Firefox not Foxfire.
Have a read of MacRumors to help decide what to get.
Also check The Wirecutter.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For Internet use folks might consider a tablet. The one I'm using was less that $200. It's low end so it does get bogged down from time to time but nothing like my 2004 Mac Mini. I keep that for music files, and the occasional word processing chore. With current upgrades in technology, the tablets seem to last about 2-3 years. Beats the cost of a new lap top.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetandren View Post
Same problem here. But I do have an old obsolete G5 Mac
Wow a museum piece!
I had a G5 iMac from 2005 to 2012.
In 2012, is WAS obsolete.
We just replaced my Mom's Mac Mini, it was about 7 years-old and desperately slow. Now she got a newer Mini with an SSD drive, and it's a world of difference: she can now use the latest OS X and Safari versions and enjoy a much faster machine.

Since you have an iMac, I guess you will want to remain in the Apple ecosystem.
I used to have an iMac G5 too, I got rid of it in 2012 and back then it was already getting old. I can't imagine how you can still use one and manage to do something with it. I replaced mine with another iMac (quad-core i5), which I still have after 5 years and still works just fine. We use it as our "home server" (contains all our files and media, backed up on 2 external drives, has a printer, etc.) and I use it when I need the larger screen (it's a 20in) like for movie editing, graphic works, etc.

My personal computer is a MacBook Pro (2 years old).
My daughter has an identical MacBook (for College)
My wife has an iPad Air (for Facebook and Pinterest, mainly!)
Each of us have iPhones, and we have an Apple TV 2.
My employer provides me with a iPad Mini for work.
As you can see, we're all Apple (I've had Macs since they exist).

You basically have 3 options:
-a newer iMac
-a laptop
-a tablet

If you like the iMac, compared to your old G5 the current iMacs (or even older ones like mine) will blow you away in term of performance and usability.

A laptop is interesting because of the portability. Even at home, it can be nice to lay down on the couch with the laptop and not having to sit in front of a desk to surf FGRV at night! However they are more expensive than desktops for the same performance level, they don't offer as much connectivity (ports), and there is a battery you need to keep charged and that will loose performance over time.

I'm not really a tablet guy. They work ok, my wife likes hers, my employer forces me to use one, so I'm familiar with IOS, but for what I'm doing a tablet will never replace a laptop. I need a real keyboard and file management. I grew up with Macs, and as good as it might be, IOS is far from OS X.
I think a tablet makes a good "2nd computer" at home, which is basically how my wife uses hers. It's basically a portable internet station.

Coming from an old G5, you don't necessarily have to look at the current offer from Apple to upgrade. You can look at a 2-3 year old Mac and it will not be much different from the current ones.
However I wouldn't buy a used laptop, unless maybe if I knew the seller personally. Laptops get carried along everywhere, and sometimes have a hard life.

If you can, get a Mac with an SSD (solid state drive). SSDs will make you Mac WAY faster. My laptop has an SSD (perfect for a laptop, no moving parts) and a dual core i5 chip. For most tasks, it is much faster than my quad-core i5 iMac which has a traditional hard disk. The only times the iMac beats the Macbook is for processor intensive tasks like movie encoding.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Mine is a four year old MacBook Air. My wife has an iPad. I tested it out once, but since I learned to touch type in grade 10, the lack of a real keyboard eliminates the iPad for me. I rest my fingers on the keys and the iPad typed out three paragraphs of gibberish.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #29

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Did you ever think about purchase non-Apple device? Why waste money?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #30

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Considering its age, my MacBook is great. Just a regular old MacBook. And yeah, the price is the reason I'm squeezing as much life out of it as I can.

I had an iPad mini for a while. It was really nice, but once I got a smart phone, it seemed redundant and excessive to have a laptop, iPhone and iPad. With an added keyboard case, it was really nice.

I'm going to use this MacBook till it either dies or becomes too slow to use. As of right now, at around 8 years old, it works great other than sites like this which are a little "sticky".
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote