3 Weeks in Alaska - 9 days Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
3 Weeks in Alaska - 9 days Camping

Just Returned from 3 weeks in Alaska, but without the Scamp. Another Fly Up from Tucson.

Eleven days in Alaska before we went camping. Been busy & having a great time. More great meals than I can recall. Great sights. Many fond memories made.

Our Son got off work early, Friday 19th July, then we made the drive to the Denali Grizzly Bear RV Resort (3 or 4 hr drive depending on potty stops) Not a bad place, Grandma & Papa stayed in a nice little cabin, over a hundred yrs. old, made in early 1900s. The RV Park has many cabins, all larger, also hotel rooms. Most with showers, toilets, etc. Traveling in his TC & their Durango. His wife, Grandma, our 3 granddaughts (7, 5 & almost 3) In the Durango; Son & Papa in pickup. We were able to celebrate two birthdays while in AK.

Woodcutter Log Cabin was built elsewhere & moved to the rv park a few years ago. New interior. Bed a little hard, no water but had electric. Our son found a nice site, but had to move to do so. Showers & restroom not to far of walk. His TC is a little small for two extra people. Poor reviews for showers being cramped (but we found a handicap one with more room (cost a quarter more for less minute) & hard beds.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psa3ff0f2a.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse32da5ea.jpg
(PS: Normally, I don't look so homeless-like......I was undressed, then hurried to get back into clothes for the photo using an iPad. Honest!)

Door was size for playhouse, nearly knocked myself out, hurt neck & back by running into the low doorway. Hurrying to get a "carry on" rolling bag into room to keep out Mosquitos. Hit top of head, put me down on my back in a flash. Took a few days for neck & back to feel more normal.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psf5ced3c5.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps1d3cf5e5.jpg

Was able to get the Aliner early on Saturday, canceled hotel room we had. Sunday morning, when taking the first side down, made mistake turned my back on it & it dropped on my head. Didn't help with recovery from the bang to my noggin at the cabin. Ha!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2ced0ba0.jpg

Next stop was at Seward on Resurrection Bay. Very pretty there. Stayed at a city CG across the bay from the town. All open gravel, no marked sites or tables, etc. Naer commercial area & dry dock. Sited we chose had a wind block with what appeared to be mullberry trees, leaves looked right & hard green fruit growing. The girls could roam freely on the beach & play in the bushy tree line. They love the place. No water, no electric, yes, but large scenic place. All type of rigs, from tents to good sized cabin cruiser. Our son likes the fishing there as well.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps3ee295e4.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps237d51c4.jpg

Saw several eagles while there. Otters, too.

Our Son caught 9 or 10 Pink Salmon. He allowed his girls to reel most of them in, but only kept 3 (not needing more-freezer still full). This is by throwing out or casting a good sized weighted grappling hook, then reeling in. In ocean, it can hook any part of the fish & be legal. On rivers, it must hook in the mouth. We had Salmon for supper, it was very good.

He caught a Jack Red Salmon late at night (immature male Red which come in too early) it was very good.

One day, we did a tour of the Aquarium & the town. Eating there, etc. 1/3 lb. hamburgers, very good. The Sealife Center. Small but nice layout, neat place.

Later, we moved to the Soldotna area. Camped at a state park, the Morgan's Landing. No hookups, nice sites, gravel sites & drives.

"C" grapple fished on Kenai River in Soldotna.....many there...people. Some doing good, many not. Many having to release, not caught in mouth. No luck at all for our son. Not too many fish running then.

Next day, moved close to town of Kenai, he dipped net (3' net, 21' pole) fished. Scores of people; Salmon not so strong. A few doing very well, more not. He did a long try in waders & did net one large Red female Salmon. Two huge fillets, I believe a half of one feed us that night. I use night figuratively - wasn't dark until wee hours of morning. This is close to the sea but on the river. Best fishing 2 hrs. before high tide to 1 hr. after.

While, he was fishing, we had the Aliner raised. Later, we moved closer to Homer, Clam Gulch. Campground close to the sea. mostly a dusty parking lot sites. Around 10 pm, we were on the beach at low tide. Around 4 am, Son went off dip netting, back towards Kenai. No luck.

Next day, we moved to the Russian River at confluence of Kenai. Man, fishermen side by side in places both sides & across the Russian at the confluence. Forest Service Campground was full, not wanting to combat fish, Son moved us back to Seward, which the girls love to be.

Another good stay by Seward, hiked up to Exit Glacier. Nice hike, but Black Flies were horrendous. Very nice site. Excellent scenery.

Then back to Anchorage Saturday. Observed K's 7th birthday at Chucky Cheese. Open gifts at FamCamp. Returned Aliner at 1 pm, drove back to Eielson.

On drive back, we got to see Denali for the first time. Always hidden in clouds before.
Photo from cabin's porch:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse9b5c0a9.jpg

The Aliner did very well for us. We used a similar one up there two summer ago.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps883c9568.jpg

Washing clothes Monday, watching the girls while their Mom ran errands. She just learned she has been accepted into nursing school at University of Alaska Fairbanks while in Seward. Very late notification. Lots to get done for start of class in Aug.

Tuesday was last day there, flight left about 1 am Wednesday morning. Four hrs. in Seattle, but was back in Tucson by 12:50 am. Didn't sleep much on the overnight flight. A nap or two at SeaTac & on flight to Tucson. 2 1/2 hr nap at my daughter's after late lunch.

July 19 was our Tenth day in Alaska (Flew to Fairbanks from Tucson July 8). Really having a good time. The little girls are great. Having some good meals from Son & Daught-in-law as well as at a Thai place in North Pole, The Cookie Jar (been on Drive-Ins, Dinners & Dives) in Fairbanks & an Asian place in North Pole (also been on the Dinners). We spend the good part of the day at Pioneer Park one Sunday. Kids had fun, as did we.

Total of 22 days in Alaska. Mostly dry. Very dry in Fairbanks area. Greener Anchorage area & Kenai Peninsula. But mostly dry when we were there.

Still have down loaded photos from two cameras.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #2

More photos:

Aliner at Resurrection Bay

CampSite @ Resurrection Bay

View of Bay from CampSite

Aliner raised by Kenai River

Clam Gulch Rec' Area Campground
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

More Photos:

Around 11 pm, we were on the beach at low tide.

Fuel Prices at Healy, not far from Denali NP entrance on the way down.

'Old Town' Seward viewed from Sea Life Center.

Red's Burgers Seward, very nice selection, delicious 1/3 lb. patties. Great milk shades as well.

Seward Harbor
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #4

Exit Glacier near Seward

Low Tide & High Tide Kenai River Dip Netting
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #5

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Beautiful photos, thank you so much for sharing!

We just spent 8 days in Sitka. My wife was in a music camp at the Sitka Fine Arts center so I had some time to explore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-60632017.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	62941

A group of sea otters enjoying a kelp bed at low tide.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Neat photo Leonard. Bet Sitka is neat. A Very Historical Place even before the Gold Rush, really old Alaska it seems.

It seems Sitka is landlocked' Get there either by sea or air.

Two years ago, we got to see many Rafts of Sea Otters on a day cruise out from Whittier. Saw a few single otters and in small groups of 2 or 3 on Resurrection Bay. Our cameras didn't have enough zoom to get a decent photo.

Thanks for sharing.