4408 Mile Trip Report, Oshkosh and Back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
4408 Mile Trip Report, Oshkosh and Back

Trip Report – my first 4408 miles in a Scamp 13 Deluxe with AC, toilet and shower.
I just pulled in to home yesterday and thought I would reflect on my first use of a Scamp. I pulled it with a 2009 Kia Optima 4 cylinder, the car and the trailer were heavily packed. The car handled the trailer with no bad habits, all travel was at 70-75 mph (up to 80 in the 75mph areas), there was never any hint of wagging or instability, even when meeting large fast trucks or side winds. I used a Honda EU2000 generator to power the rear mounted AC, both were up to the task, even in some of the hottest midwest temperatures on record. There were no mechanical problems with car or RV during the entire trip.
The trailer is crowded when two adults with a dog and a cat occupy it, but we used it primarily for sleeping quarters, a part of the trip I used it by myself and considered it to be plenty roomy. I did find a couple of minor leaks when in rain that I had missed prior to the start of the trip. Fuel useage was up from what the car alone uses of course, hard to get a good grip on exact figures since the variation due to winds from the front or back made a difference, and I did not keep a running total on fuel bought. All together, economy was certainly better than a pickup or even a heavy car with a large engine. We see so little use for it in the future however, sadly we are considering selling it to give someone else a chance to have fun.
[IMG][/IMG]
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Up to 80 mph when most trailer tires are rated for 65 mph???
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
That is why I have HI SPEED tires on it, I don't like to mess around. In Texas we have ground to cover!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Up to 80 mph when most trailer tires are rated for 65 mph???
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote