6 months in NA - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #71

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lex& Rita...Enjoy "Neon Nevada". Yes Dennys is good for breakfast!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #72

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
There is a lock in the hitch. Good, I thought you would probably have one.
Do you really think that one would steal the trailer? Who knows in Vegas or L.A.? Be safe, not sorry.
I am more afraid of breaking in. It is on the lot of Rodeway Inn. They probably have roving security.
Btw. There is a Denny's restaurant round the corner. Are they okay? I used to like to eat there with my California construction buddies, all ordering the cholesterol-filled breakfasts. My wife won't even consider going near a Denny's. So I haven't been in one for at least 12 years. All I can say is that it's a step above McDonald's McMuffins.

But if I were in Vegas, every morning I'd head for a breakfast buffet at different one of the major hotels. Unless they've changed, those are super and very reasonable.

That was a great picture of Hoover Dam. And a new Interstate highway bridge crossing the Colorado under construction. For a while after 9/11 I believe trailers were prohibited from crossing the dam. Somewhere in the archives I have a photo of myself and family down in the construction area of the dam when it was being built. (I was a kid, then.) It was originally called Boulder Dam, then renamed Hoover Dam by Herbert Hoover while the unpopular president was still in office, later reverting to Boulder Dam, then finally renamed Hoover Dam by a congressional act in the late 40's. So I guess we're stuck with the Hoover name. See how politics work in the U.S.A.?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #73

Trailer: BIOD Bambi 1980
Registry
Quote:
That was a great picture of Hoover Dam. And a new Interstate highway bridge crossing the Colorado under construction. For a while after 9/11 I believe trailers were prohibited from crossing the dam. Somewhere in the archives I have a photo of myself and family down in the construction area of the dam when it was being built. (I was a kid, then.) It was originally called Boulder Dam, then renamed Hoover Dam by Herbert Hoover while the unpopular president was still in office, later reverting to Boulder Dam, then finally renamed Hoover Dam by a congressional act in the late 40's. So I guess we're stuck with the Hoover name. See how politics work in the U.S.A.?
I forgot to mention in the log: all vehicle were security checked, trailers etc. were searched. They simply looked in our trailer through a window, others were more extensively searched. Lorries are prohibited.
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #74

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I forgot to mention in the log: all vehicle were security checked, trailers etc. were searched. They simply looked in our trailer through a window, others were more extensively searched. Lorries are prohibited.
You'll have another vehicle check shortly after you cross the state line in California. (California Department of Agriculture.) They will first ask "from where have you been traveling?" Depending on where you've been, they may ask if you are carrying any fruits, vegetables or plants. (May confiscate some stuff, but I've never had anything taken.) They are attempting to reduce introduction of insects, etc., that would be harmful to the farm products of California. Anyway, you might want to wait till you get to California to stock your refrigerator with fruit and veggies. If you like fruit, you're in for some treats when you get to central California and north through Washington.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #75

Registry
Quote:
You'll have another vehicle check shortly after you cross the state line in California. (California Department of Agriculture.) They will first ask "from where have you been traveling?" Depending on where you've been, they may ask if you are carrying any fruits, vegetables or plants. (May confiscate some stuff, but I've never had anything taken.) They are attempting to reduce introduction of insects, etc., that would be harmful to the farm products of California. Anyway, you might want to wait till you get to California to stock your refrigerator with fruit and veggies. If you like fruit, you're in for some treats when you get to central California and north through Washington.
No check entering California.
We spend the night in Joshua Tree NP, Jumbo Rocks campground. Nice temp there :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	o1864.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20886

Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #76

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Arrow

Hallo, another neat photo of your rig, Like a post card. Nice camp site. Looking at your blog site, the photo of the rock formation looks like Homer Simpson. The photo following the one of your unit. Shown here.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #77

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Lex, you mentioned coming to the Oregon Gathering. I was looking at Gene's site map and couldn't find you on it. I was wondering what site you're in.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Hey Lex, you mentioned coming to the Oregon Gathering. I was looking at Gene's site map and couldn't find you on it. I was wondering what site you're in.
Don't know. Nancy will organize it for us.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #79

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lex, today Sunday you must be visiting Sequoia. Don't miss Yosemite NP which is just north of you and I live on the north edge of Yosemite in Sonora. I imagine you'll be through this area in the next couple of days. I'd love to show you around but I'm headed for a golf tournament tomorrow and won't be back until the end of the week. I guess I'll just have to wait to meet you at the Oregon gathering.

You can go into Yosemite via highway 41 the south entrance, there are about 2 tunnels you pass through. Go slow through the 2nd one as there is a turnout just as you come out the other end. It's an overlook for the most photographed scene in Yosemite. When you leave Yosemite go via either 140 or 120. If you are interested in the gold country then come out 120. If not, then use 140 it's a much easier drive. 120 has a very steep grade just north of Groveland. You would need to put you vehicle in it's lowest gear and use your brakes spareingly.

I imagine you're going to go to San Francisco then north over the Golden Gate. That's highway 101 and it'll take up through the Redwood NP. You do have to turnoff the 4 lane highway to get a good grasp of the Redwoods. It's called Avenue of the Giants and is simply the old highway which will come back into the new highway at the north end of the park.

The drive north is wonderful but you will encounter a curvey 2 lane section just south of Crescent City, drive careful.

Once you get into Oregon if you don't have reservations and need a place to stay in Brookings. Turn right after you cross the Chetco bridge and go up the river to Loeb SP. It's about 5 miles up the river and first come first served. Harris Beach SP just north of Brookings is apt to be full. They take reservations and are generally full the entire summer. That's why I always go to Loeb which has water and electric sites plus showers.

Now if you want to walk on the beach you'll find some of the nicest turnouts for long pretty stretches of beach between Brookings and Gold Beach. Hey, you can even dry camp over night in those turnouts, if you want.

Just a few suggestions.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #80

Registry
Thanks, Joy, for the recommendations.
But we 'll skip Yosemite :-( We have to make a choice.
From Visalia we 'll drive to the coast at san Luis Obispo.
Then up to SF via hwy 1.
Campground for SF: probably KOA Petaluma.
See you.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #81

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Quote:
...we 'll skip Yosemite
That's too bad. To many, Yosemite is the "crown jewel" the National Park System of the U.S.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #82

Registry
Quote:
That's too bad. To many, Yosemite is the "crown jewel" the National Park System of the U.S.
So be it ;-)
We visited 8 NP till now.

Another question, about the 4th of july.
We intend to kamp on the KOA Kampground in Petaluma (SF) june 28 - july 2
Thats means that we have to find another kampground for the weekend of the 4th of july.
Do you think it is necessary to reserve a site (coast north of San francisco) early?
The KOAs have still sites available.
I mention KOA because I am accustomed to their reservation system.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #83

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
So be it ;-)
We visited 8 NP till now.

Another question, about the 4th of july.
We intend to kamp on the KOA Kampground in Petaluma (SF)J une 28 - July 2
Thats means that we have to find another kampground for the weekend of the 4th of july.
Do you think it is necessary to reserve a site (coast north of San Francisco) early?
The KOAs have still sites available.
I mention KOA because I am accustomed to their reservation system.
It is always good to make reservations especially when you are close to a metropolitan area and it’s a Holiday Weekend.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #84

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
We were able to take Lex and Rita out to dinner last night for a Santa Maria Style Oak Pit Bar-B-Que with all the trimmings. This restaurant has a wood fired Pizza oven that they cook fresh home made sourdough little loafs of bread every day. It is an all you can eat deal on the bread. I could fill up on just this sourdough bread with a slightly smoky flavor. “Oh Man is it good”. We went to a little western town called Crestin, CA. It has 5 bars and no gas stations. he,he. There are lots of working cattle ranches and cowboys in the area. Also, where there aren’t cattle ranches there are wineries. A bottle of J.Lohr went really well with our dinners. Boy what a wonderful couple.

There just isn't enough time to spend with them. If you get a chance, make the time to spend with them. You will be greatly rewarded. I wish our yard had room for them to park here.

The weather here has been just perfect - highs in the mid 70°F Blue skies with a slight breeze. I'll let Lex share with you when he get WiFi.