9 states, 5000 miles, 13' burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Yes 9 states, 5,000 miles in 15 days in a 13' Burro
We left Minnesota Feb 16th got stuck in Iowa in a ice storm that night - The Burro furnace decided it was too cold to work so we froze.
Feb 17 drove I-35 to I-40 to NM border and stayed in NM Welcome Center Burro furnace worked that night
Next two days Carlsbad cavern- Carlsbad Desert Trail ( real cool no one there ) Furnace worked
Next Cloudcraft ( photographed the Burro at Burro Ave.)
then White Sands NM ( just like MN white every where but warmer )
Next stop Sugaro National Park - Desert Zoo and Garden Tucson AZ ( a definite must do if you are in the area.
Next Phoenix AZ ( don't eat at taste of Chicago in Tempe ) and a trip to Superstition mountian ( really cool scerery - though allow a entire day and come from the south)
Next Grand Canyon - can you say wind and cold - Furnice tried to work
Next Monument National park in Utah ( lot of westerns filmed there ) ( well worth going to) awoke to 2" of snow, it as gone by 11:00am and the furnace worked just fine
next Cinele Canyon NM the little grand canyon ( we saw 8 Ansai ruines in the canyon) furnace died completely the last and coldest night there
Next Las Vegas NM ( you guessed it - we moteled it )
and last another ice storm in IA and yet another motel.
What a way to go on our second honeymoon 20th anniversary ( a couple month early )
We also came home to 24" of snow to be removed.
We have traveled in 28' and 24' moterhomes, various pick up campers, and we also have a 25' travel trailer but we both agree this is the best trip we have ever taken ( EXCEPT FOR IOWA )
and the Beaten Burro will get fixed before our next adventure - also the front shelf fell off in the beginning of the trip.

side note when we were in Phoenix the rv park had us between two large units- they were backed to the fence and we were 15' from the fence the Surburban was parked far enough the we could walk between the burb and the Burro and there was still 15 feet to the front of either rig along side of us. We could have charged admission. In New Mexico someone actually asked to see the inside of the Burro. I don't know what shocked him more - the tounge and groove pine floor, the custom made panel cabinet doors, or that we had everthing inside that trailer except a microwave and shower. ( who need space )
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yay!!!!

Ain't fun?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Sounds like a really great trip! Happy Anniversary!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
what an adventure!!! I bet your glad to be home... .. and waiting for your next trip!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #5

Registry
With all of the snow we have had while we were gone I wish I was back in New Mexico.

And It was a great trip.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

Happy 20th! Great Adventure in 15 days. We did not order our Scamp with a furnace, but got a small tenting propane Colman Blackcat heater, and take alone an electric heater. Didn't want to use up storage space, and worry about using up the battery power. We had to get the AC. It is on the roof.

It was 71 degrees here in Las Cruces, I noticed it was to be 75 in Carlsbad. We are to be in the middle 70 the rest of the week.

We may have to go somewhere in two weeks during spring break.

Come back by and stay longer, you got to see alot but you missed alot as well.

Happy Camping, Stay Warm.

My daughter is up your way visiting her sister-in-law in Twin Cities area. She was gone during the heavy snows last week visiting her brother in ND. She sent a photo of her car after getting back to MN. It looked alot like a Scamp with all the snow turning it into a big egg.

AW

Long Lake, MN Saturday morning 3/3/07
Attached Thumbnails
snowcar.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #7

Registry
we had never been south of Iowa - denver Co so this was a see what is there trip.
we had a wedding in Phoeniix on the24th Feb so we decided to camp and see the New Mexico and Arizona area highlights. Another year we will probably make a trip out of one or the other states.
We talked to locals and asked were the neat studd is and took notes for future trips - one destination that many people brought up was Poncho Villa state park in New Mexico.

Next fall- winter - spring we probally make a trip to Georga- Carolinas as our son is in college in Atlanta Ga and our oldest daughter will be in Fort Bragg North Carolina. It would be nice to visit her before she is deployed overseas again. She has been to Iraq and Korea.

To prepare for this trip I strengthen the Burro Frame, added a second propane tank. rewired the 12 volt and 110 inside the camper and added netting to the open shelves on each end.

The next major modification will be to change the springs to long leaf springs to take the bounce out of the Burro- I may use a wider axle and brakes??

My next Burro adventure will be the Jefferson Swap meet this spring and an extra day or two photograping old farm building near madison wi.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have never made it to Pancho Villa State Park. I have wanted to go but have not done so. Here is some info on the park: On March 9, 1916, soldiers led by Mexican Gen. Francisco “Pancho” Villa attacked the military camp at the sleepy border town of Columbus, New Mexico, killing 18 Americans. This was the only ground invasion of the continental U.S. since 1812.

Pancho Villa State Park’s extensive historical exhibits depicting the raid and the U.S. Army’s subsequent Punitive Expedition into Mexico are now housed in the park’s new $1.8 million 7,000 sq. ft. Exhibit Hall.

The park is located on the grounds of former Camp Furlong from where Gen. John J. “Black Jack” Pershing launched 10,000 troops on an 11-months, 500-mile pursuit of Villa into Mexico. The Exhibit Hall tells the story that begins with the 1910 Mexican Revolution and ends with Pershing’s command of the Allied Forces when the U.S. entered World War I.

Through donations and funds appropriated by the New Mexico Legislature in 1999, Pancho Villa State Park acquired expedition-era examples of the vehicles and technology employed by Pershing and his men. The Exhibit Hall contains a full-size replica Curtiss JN-3 “Jenny” airplane used by the 1st Aero Squadron; a 1916 Dodge touring car, the type used by Pershing for a field office; historic artifacts; military weapons and ribbons. An armored tank stands as a sentinel outside the facility.

With only rudimentary initial instructions, military recruits were given orders to drive vehicles and fly the airplanes, which had not been previously tested at high-altitudes. As a result, equipment modernization and mechanical specialization during the 1916-1917 expedition period proved be essential to U.S. military success during World War I.

At Pancho Villa State Park, several buildings date from the time of Villa’s raid and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. These include the 1902 former U.S. Customs House, two adobe structures dating from the Camp Furlong-era and Camp Furlong Recreation Hall.

Pancho Villa State Park is located in the village of Columbus, 35 miles south of Deming via NM Hwy. 11. From El Paso, take NM Hwy 9 65 miles west.

The Exhibit Hall is open year-round, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven-days a week. The adjacent campground, offering picnicking, 62 electrical hookups and tenting sites, is open year-round, 24-hours a day.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Jim and Janelle,
welcome back to the north country. Sorry your furnace gave you trouble on your trip. Burrrr! Sounds like you had a good time in spite of no heat. Glad you had a safe trip!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro