A cavalcade of trip photos, Pennsylvania-Nevada-Pennsylvania - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Thanks for sharing Jen. You have a keen eye thru the lens.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi Jen! Georgous photos! I too will be traveling on US 20 starting in IA (coming from US 65 N) all the way to WY. Did you notice many campgrounds along the way or should we just plan on "Walmartin" and "Truck stoppin" once we get that far North and West? You said parts were pretty rough, what areas and rough enough to find another route? I can take US 65 N on up to US 18 if that's a better road.

Thanks!
Melissa
Melissa, it was mainly off and on ridginess on the 4-lane sections of the highway between Dubuque and Waterloo. Somehow the ridges in the road were spaced to set up an unpleasant bump-feedback between my car and the trailer. With my TV rear wheels extra-inflated for the trailer, it made for an uncomfortably stiff and bumpy ride. It was less bad in the passing lane, so when the road was lonely I used that lane.

For campgrounds, you'll find that several of the small towns along US 20 in both Iowa and Nebraska have little municipal campgrounds in their city parks where you can camp for cheap (check out Free Campgrounds for RVs). I have no idea of the type of crowd at those places, though, since I didn't end up using any of them. But they seem useful for the overnight stay on the way to someplace else, certainly.

Nebraska has some beautiful natural areas - I stayed in McKelvie National Forest ($5 on the honor system) but the Niobrara River valley has some very lovely camping areas too. Farther west there's the Nebraska National Forest and Fort Robinson State Park - both super lovely places.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #17

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thanks Jen! I'll pick up US 20 on the West side of Waterloo so I should avoid that stretch between Dubuque and Waterloo.

How did you find the municipal parks in the towns? Did you look them up in advance (although you, like me, probably didnt know where you were stopping for the night) or did you just ask at a gas station or were they on your GPS? I've never checked mine for local parks listing but I will now, lol. How did you know you could overnight there?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
How did you find the municipal parks in the towns?
Check the link in my previous post. The free/cheap campground site is not the easiest to use but it should help you identify several camping locations along your route.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Melissa,

You will miss the stretch of Iowa Highway 20 that was in the film, "Field of Dreams."

I know though that you cannot tolerate some roads that have that kind of bump for long. There is a stretch of 35 south of Madison, WI that is that way, as well as 90 between LaCrosse, WI and Rochester, MN. Vibrates the teeth in your mouth.

CindyL
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Darn, that would have bee neat to see.

I cant afford any more dental work right now paying for my daughter's braces, LOL! There is a stretch in s. Carolina on I-95 that is like that too. Thought i'd go crazy before it ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Melissa,

You will miss the stretch of Iowa Highway 20 that was in the film, "Field of Dreams."

I know though that you cannot tolerate some roads that have that kind of bump for long. There is a stretch of 35 south of Madison, WI that is that way, as well as 90 between LaCrosse, WI and Rochester, MN. Vibrates the teeth in your mouth.

CindyL
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #21

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
JenB.... interesting that you would comment about not knowing the type of crowds that would be in those small town campgrounds. Having grown up in the area, they would be: farmers, small business owners, young families, and the occasional motorcycle touring group (typically older folks with gray hair). While there might be a bad sort once in a while (usually loud music and beer), you shouldn't worry about these stops. This is true Americana!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #22

Pennsylvania
Registry
Kevin, to clarify I didn't mean to suggest worrying, but in my experience (on my scooter trips) with cheap campgrounds that allow very long-term RV camping, *sometimes* there is a certain quantity of meth flowing around a place if you know what I mean. It seems like a mileage-may-vary type of thing with lots of local variations that one can't really generalize about. So I was noting that I don't have any particular knowledge of the city park campgrounds in the area in question.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 foot Scamp
Thanks for posting your remarks and pictures about Alcova. We are driving up from Dinosaur National Monument onward to Devils Tower in June and we were looking for a place to stay midway. Thanks Again.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #24

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Thanks for the trip report. You went to some pretty interesting places and your photos, especially of all the wild animals, are fabulous!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Indeed, plus 1000 on the photos, as well as your commentary! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
thanks for the kind words!

The chausie kitten we picked up and camped with is now 2 years old and a petite 30 pounds, lol. I was jut laughing about how many times we had to wash the bedding on that trip because he (at the time we thought he was a she) thought the fuzzy blanket on the burro's bed was a splendid place to take a whiz. My memory foam pad still has a yellow stain but luckily it doesn't stink any more.