AB-ON road trip. Where to camp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
All good suggestions for Ontario but you will need to travel through beautiful Manitoba first. You did not indicate your starting point so I will suggest a couple of different ideas. If you are on the Yellowhead Highway, it is worth a bit of a detour to visit and camp at Riding Mountain National Park.
If you are on the Trans-Canada Highway and depending where you are at each part of the day, I encourage you to consider:
-Oak Lake Island Resort which is a few miles south of the TCH just west of the town of Oak Lake. It is a great beach area for little kids, shallow warm water and all needs including ice cream.
-a bit east of Brandon is the Spruce Woods Provincial Park. It is a bit south of the TCH. Lovely and rustic.
-if you are close to Wpg when time to stop, Miller's Campground is a bit west of the City of Winnipeg and a nice family stop.
-if you are getting east of Winnipeg by nightfall, then plan to get to Whiteshell Provincial Park (Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake)

This leads you into Ontario where Lake of the Woods area provides some lovely campsites around Kenora and onward.
Provincial and National Parks require a pass, of course. And, what you miss on the way out, you might catch on the way back!
Enjoy and may you be blessed with good weather and safe travel.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
this is so wonderful, thank you all so much! We are starting out in Calgary and taking the TCH. It looks like we might be pushing our trip up a month and going in July instead. I'm super excited. I'm going to sit with my husband and go through this thread with a map.

David - thank you for sharing that bit of your history! I loved reading about it

Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
AB-ON road trip. Where to camp?

I have a favourite stop near Nipigon called Ouimet Canyon. It's been a while, but I think it is off the TCH maybe 5Km North. I think of it as Canada's Grand Canyon and there is a viewing platform. I heard that in recent times someone has built a commercial zip line across the canyon a couple of Kms from Ouimet. In the past we used to park there for the night.

Oh and take the route through Algonquin (Hwy 60). Algonquin park is wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Oh and West Hawk Lake on the Manitoba Ontario border is a great night stop. I haven't been there in some considerable time, but there used to be a nice campground.

Doug L
Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
Blue Lake Provincial Park near Vermillion Bay/Dryden for the swimming. Neys Provincial Park near Marathon for the big Lake and the history. The best is Puckaskawa National Park near Marathon. Be aware camping is not cheap in Ontario.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
A great beach with shallow and warmer water is at Rossport on the north shore of Superior.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Rossport is an interesting place. There is a NFB film "Drowning in Dreams", about a pair of Rossport divers trying to recover a boat owned by a wealthy Chicago couple that sunk around the turn of the century, near Rossport. The boat was very very deep and one of the divers died in the attempt. They actually built a submarine in the attempt.

Doug L
Old 06-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #22

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Yes Rossport is great. I spent 27 nights there on summer running a B&B while the owners were away.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #23

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
thank you all again! we've been looking at this thread and planning our trip. I appreciate all your recommendations! we're very excited and leaving in two weeks today