AB-ON road trip. Where to camp? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Posts: 42
AB-ON road trip. Where to camp?

My husband and I are taking our two little kids (1 and 3) across Canada in mid august. Would I be able to get some recommendations for great places to stop? We are taking roughly three weeks and don't have a rigid schedule. We just need to end up in Ottawa to visit family. I'd love to get some ideas of spots that are worth checking out, nice campgrounds, that sort of thing.

Thanks so much!
__________________

__________________
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
The entire top of Lake Superior is AWESOME! We stayed at Sleeping Giant provincial park and really enjoyed it:
Welcome to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
__________________

__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The entire top of Lake Superior is AWESOME! We stayed at Sleeping Giant provincial park and really enjoyed it:
Welcome to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park
ahhhh that looks beautiful! On the list!

I should add another question - how hard are these places to get into without reservations? I really don't want to plan things too much but having to camp on the side of the road the whole way would not be my first choice.
__________________
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
We didn't have reservations. We don't plan that far ahead. It probably depends on when you are traveling. Maybe call them and get their perspective.
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Posts: 42
you know, I think what I'll do is call ahead when we're a day or two away, we can probably swing that.
__________________
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Posts: 23
Keep in mind that the Ontario Provincial Parks all keep a certain number of campsites available on a first come/first serve basis. It's certainly wise to make a reservation if you're going to be arriving after, say, 4 PM, on a Friday of a holiday weekend. If it's a weekday and you're there before mid afternoon there's not a problem, particularly if it's only for one night. It will save you the reservation fee!

With small kids you probably want off the road by that time anyways.

Anything along the top edge of the Great Lakes is going to be a wonderful place to stay but then I'm really partial to big water, forests and rocks.

Algonquin Park will probably be your last stop on the trip. If you're dropping down 11 to 60 it has multiple campgrounds and you'll be able to take your pick of what kind of campsite you want in regards to beaches, privacy etc. etc.

If you land in Algonquin Park on the Hwy 60 stretch on a Thursday evening they usually have a wolf howl event that is well worth attending, very educational and then absolutely thrilling to go out and hear the wolves.

The other route across that stretch of Ontario, straight across 17 to Mattawa will put you within reach of the northern edge of Algonquin Park but the campground is 30 kms off the main highway on a paved road and has no FHU or showers. With the kids, I'd recommend going south out of North Bay and across 60 for that reason alone.
__________________
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
WaltP's Avatar
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Posts: 1,132
I totally agree with the Northern coast of Superior, awesome. I haven't done Sleeping Giant, but the several others I have camped at are wonderful. Also many of the trails in the area have waterfalls, a favorite. Campgrounds on the Eastern shore of Georgian Bay, Like Killbear, are also very nice.
Have a great adventure.

Walt
__________________
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Posts: 42
Beaches! I hadn't even thought of that! Will it be warm enough to swim? I'm used to alpine lakes of the rockies which is a little colder than I'd do.

I am getting super excited, thanks so much for this info!
__________________
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersucks View Post
Beaches! I hadn't even thought of that! Will it be warm enough to swim? I'm used to alpine lakes of the rockies which is a little colder than I'd do.

I am getting super excited, thanks so much for this info!
The Great Lakes will be warmer than the alpine lakes but I find them too cold for me for real swimming, especially Lake Superior. Any inland smaller lake will definitely be warm enough by August.

The kids will want to play in the shallows more so than you will want to swim anyways! My kids wouldn't come out of the water until their lips were blue when they were that age.
__________________
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Posts: 42
ha, I'm not sure I'd be doing any 'real swimming', more like watching the little ones while in the water. I've never actually seen the great lakes, this is going to be pretty amazing.
__________________
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Posts: 80
I would recommend doing manatoulin island - and taking the ferry with them!
__________________
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Manitoulin is very nice, but a bit out of your way, if you are going to Ottawa. Turn south at Espanola. I have deep roots on that island:
I'm on the map!
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
bullfrogeh's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Posts: 246
Registry
We lived on the north shore of Superior for 35 years, and are now retired in a lakeside cottage area, near Algonquin Park. We certainly can attest to the natural beauty and excellent camping at any campground near, or in, either area. We've been avid campers since the 1960's, and wouldn't chose to live anywhere else in North America. Plus, there are private campgrounds at most communities along our 'Tranny-Canaddy' highway, through Ontario, too, if you look for them. From the 'Lakehead' at Thunder Bay, Check Terrace Bay, Nipigon, Marathon, Wawa, the 'Soo' along #17; and Parry Sound, Huntsville, Dwight, the 'Park', Whitney, Refrew, etc. along the southern corridor. Have a great trip through our backyard - you'll love it.
__________________
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
Keep in mind that the Ontario Provincial Parks all keep a certain number of campsites available on a first come/first serve basis. It's certainly wise to make a reservation if you're going to be arriving after, say, 4 PM, on a Friday of a holiday weekend. If it's a weekday and you're there before mid afternoon there's not a problem, particularly if it's only for one night. It will save you the reservation fee!

With small kids you probably want off the road by that time anyways.

Anything along the top edge of the Great Lakes is going to be a wonderful place to stay but then I'm really partial to big water, forests and rocks.

Algonquin Park will probably be your last stop on the trip. If you're dropping down 11 to 60 it has multiple campgrounds and you'll be able to take your pick of what kind of campsite you want in regards to beaches, privacy etc. etc.

If you land in Algonquin Park on the Hwy 60 stretch on a Thursday evening they usually have a wolf howl event that is well worth attending, very educational and then absolutely thrilling to go out and hear the wolves.

The other route across that stretch of Ontario, straight across 17 to Mattawa will put you within reach of the northern edge of Algonquin Park but the campground is 30 kms off the main highway on a paved road and has no FHU or showers. With the kids, I'd recommend going south out of North Bay and across 60 for that reason alone.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is FHU? The only thing I can think of is facilities hook up. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First camp in the UHaul- Camp Croft S.P. Camper Dave Camping, Campout Reports 4 04-10-2014 11:36 AM
Camp Chef Portable Camp Oven ShawnKK General Chat 13 06-29-2013 05:25 PM
Seniors on a Road Trip Donna D. Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 06-15-2009 02:33 PM
Beautiful road trip to Wy, CO, KS Charlene Urso Camping, Campout Reports 2 09-26-2008 12:44 AM
Scamp camp-Camp Nauvoo, Nauvoo, IL. Pat G Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 13 05-23-2007 09:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.