Acaidia & Maine's north coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Acaidia & Maine's north coast

Vic and I are just wrapping up our very early in the season visit to Maine. WE defiantly beat the crowds. About half of the shops were still closed in Bar Harbor and those that were open were happy to see us.
Weather corporated nicely, daytime highs in the low to mid 60's and nighttime lows around 40-45.
It seemed wherever we went we were either just ahead or just behind the Today Show crew. Since they did most of what we did (except the biking and kayaking) I will post the link here:
Dylan Dreyer and Sheinelle Jones bike (bumpily) through Acadia National Park - TODAY.com

We even had the lobster at Behels! Every time we visit Acaida we stop there! It's about the best deal on lobster we can find and tasty too.

The second half of or trip we went a bit further north to Cobscook Bay State park. Of the 125 sites we are the only ones here! The rangers have been really accommodating and the view are fantastic! Or site is right on the bay. It reminds us of the Boundry Waters National Park in Minnesota except here your site is directly on the water. Temps here today hit 72 and while the black flies are present they are only an annoyance for about an hour or two. That's why we brought the Clam shelter!
While quite rural their is plenty to do and see in the area. We visited Roosevelt Campobello International Park, Reversing Falls, The town of Lubec, hiked 6 miles of Quoddy Head State Park (lighthouse, shoreline, and bog walk are not to be missed).
A big THANK YOU to all from this site that gave us a heads up on sites we would have otherwise missed. It has been a great trip.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Sid

Wisconsin
Our campsite at Cobscook Bay SP where the tide is as much as 20 feet!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Cobscook is one of my most favorite places! Last summer we hiked in Cutler- the longest undisturbed shoreline on the East Coast. Spectacular.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
You have just completed the very best of Maine ! The areas south of Ellsworth/ Bar Harbor are crowded eye sores packed with heavy tourist traffic. The town of Bar Harbor is one giant traffic jam packed with gift shops during the summer months. You seem to have spent your time wisely on the unspoiled coast and Campobello Island (New Brunswick, Canada).

Good idea to bring along your passport when in Maine so exploring nearby Canada is possible. It was smart to beat the summer tourist mobs��.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
My wife and I loved Campobella; hope you took the time to tour the Roosevelt's summer home and have Tea with Eleanor?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post

The second half of or trip we went a bit further north to Cobscook Bay State park.
One of our favorite Maine parks. Delighted that you had such a good time. We like to go off season as well, but hadn't realized that it opened as early as your visit. Thanks for the great pics.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #7

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Loved the photos

Thanks for sharing.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Thanks for all the information. I am curious about Mt Desert Island? I can understand wanting to avoid Bar Harbor due to the traffic and crowds, is the same true for the remainder of the island? We would be visiting during the first week of September.

I have put Cobscook Bay State park on the itinerary.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
Sid

Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the comments and Private messages.
Anne, you asked about my dinette extension. I have repeatedly tried to add the updated pictures to my registry to no avail. I have no idea why they are failing to post. As promised I will post them here.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Sid

Wisconsin
In storage mode
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Sid, having recently purchased a PL, I am very interested in any modifications you have done. Do you visit the PL owners group on Facebook?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #12

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Bar Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Thanks for all the information. I am curious about Mt Desert Island? I can understand wanting to avoid Bar Harbor due to the traffic and crowds, is the same true for the remainder of the island? We would be visiting during the first week of September.

I have put Cobscook Bay State park on the itinerary.
Hey Paul,
Labor day is late this year (9/5) but I believe most kids should be back in school which would cut done on some of the crowds and traffic. A couple camp grounds to consider would be Lemoine State park which is a very well maintained and scenic campground ( no hookups ). Acadia National Park is is comprised of 2 separate areas, Mt Desert Island and Schoodic Peninsula, Lemione is roughly between the two. There is a new National Park campground on Schoodic Peninsula called Schoodic Woods which does have hookups. Schoodic is less traveled than Mt Desert but just as scenic and Bar Harbor is certainly worth a visit.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
Sid

Wisconsin
George,
Thanks....
I typically post here and Vicki posts there but not very often.
I really haven't done anything substantial to the Parkliner. If you are curious I placed them in a thread called "a couple of simple mods".

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ferrerid=41054

Sid
Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
..... Acadia National Park is is comprised of 2 separate areas, Mt Desert Island and Schoodic Peninsula, Lemione is roughly between the two. There is a new National Park campground on Schoodic Peninsula called Schoodic Woods which does have hookups. Schoodic is less traveled than Mt Desert but just as scenic and Bar Harbor is certainly worth a visit.
And there is a third part of the Acadia NP, the Isle au Haut (I'll oh ho) which is accessible by a mail boat from Stonington, a little harbor, somewhat out of the way, hence less busy and really charming. It happens to be the biggest lobster landing port and lobster is available at the pier. The Greenlaw's Campground was closed last year, so we camped at Old Quarry Ocean Adventures CG and got our lobster right there.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
We really enjoy the "quiet side" of the island (near Southwest Harbor). There is nice hiking and tidepooling on that side (Acadia mountain, Wonderland trail, and the whole Seawall area), and you can still get to Bar Harbor for a dinner out or something if you want. We've camped at Seawall, which is a national park campground- it looks like it is closing Sept 6 for renovations. I've also heard the Mt Desert Campground is nice- it's at the top of Somes sound and a little closer to Bar Harbor, but not too close.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
The Mt Desert Campground is probably the nicest private campground we've ever camped in. Every morning a local bakery provides a baked item or pastry for purchase. Shuttle buses run to Bar Harbor and various points around the park. The campground cateres mostly to tenters , pop-ups and small trailers. There is a length restriction for trailers so if interested I would call first or check out their website. Acadia National Park is just a gorgeous area with lots to see and do.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner