Advice Needed: Gaspe Peninsula + Cape Breton - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Advice Needed: Gaspe Peninsula + Cape Breton

I've been to PEI and southern NS several times. This time I'd like to see Bay of Fundy in NB, then up to Gaspe Peninsula and maybe Cape Breton.

Thinking about August, or early September.

Any recommendations, what to see and where to camp? I am assuming September will be less crowded than August, and colder. Not sure when the main season ends up there.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: shopping
Maine
Gaspe

The area around Perce is beautiful as well as Forillon National Park.
Enjoy.
bargainjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The main season in QC basically ends when kids are back to school, at the very end of August. Then it gets real quiet, the nice scenery will remains of course but you may find some attractions closed for the season or only open during weekends. This can also be the case for campgrounds, so I would check with them. The Gaspé area usually attracts a lot of tourist during summer, especially over the last few years where the exchange rate with the US dollar isn't exactly good for us Canadian, and many folks will head to canadian destinations like Gaspé/Percé instead of going south of the border.
The area from Percé to Forillon Park is the nicest IMO. You can actually drive a loop around the Gaspé peninsula on route 132, nice scenery on the northern part of the peninsula too.
Forillon being a national park has campgrounds, and there are a couple nice ones too in Percé. In Percé you can take a boat tour to Bonaventure Island (Provincial Park, protected area).
One nice campground in Carleton-sur-Mer.
As for the temperature, it is never really warm along the cost of Gaspé, when they get 28degC in July it's unusually hot! It's warmer inland, cooler along the shores. You can actually get frost in the mountains towards the end of August.
You can Google all I've mentioned for more details, and you can also order the QC campground directory or download the pdf:
https://www.campingquebec.com/en/cam...pground-guide/
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Gaspe Penninsula and Cape Bretton

Cape Bretton is beautiful! If you're into bird watching, take the trip to Bird Island and maybe see some Puffins. If you have Celtic roots, be sure to visit the Celtic College and their museum of the klans
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Hey Bill,

Last fall in September we were in QC and later in the month in NB and NS

Definitely do the gaspe peninsula hike to the lighthouse, nice views indeed. We stayed at Fort Ramsey in gaspe which is an affordable campsite within the town of Gaspe.

Bay of fundy is a rad place with amazing tide changes. We boondocked at the Thomas Cove trailhead near Economy in NS, great hiking and tidal change viewing. Also check out the Shire near New Horton. Great owner and campsite, by donation. A must go in my opinion.

Have fun!
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
While at Fundy be sure to arrange a low tide visit to the fishing village of Alma to see the ships hanging from the piers. Also the seafood there is amazing, including the fish chowder. And about a half hour further up the coast, a visit to Hopewell Rocks is a must.F

Walt
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

Registry
Wow, some awesome tips! Keep them coming!

Thanks!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #8

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
cape breton

We camped on Ingonish Beach on the Atlantic Ocean side of the Cabot Trail and found a washed up lobster trap we carried home as a souvenir. Further up at Cape St Lawrence we found Catholic Church featuring lobster bake that night. Wonderful people with thick Scottish accents. The lobsters were amazing with butter. My favorite memory was eating lobster there. Look for churches hosting lobster bakes.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Name: Tina
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
If heading to Cape Breton then the Cabot trail is a must. Plage Saint Pierre in Cheticamp has a great campground and beautiful beach. Park your trailer and head off to explore the cabot trail from there.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Louisbourg was very interesting, old french museum town.

Near Sydney there is a provincial historic park that is a coal mine. They had a retired miner as a guide. A very different lifestyle.

Lunenburg has a maritime heritage, and Peggy's Cove is not far. Enjoy
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Cape Breton Camping

We camped at Cape Breton Highlands National Park, near Cheticamp. Lovely area for biking and hiking. If you have time, visit Louisbourg also - the fortress is well worth it. Take in the rum tour there for sure.
bsaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2016 Casita 17' LD
Massachusetts
My favorite campground ever is Meat Cove at the northern tip of Cape Breton, but it's not for everyone. It's almost boondocking, since there are no hookups at campsites. They also don't take reservations and accept only cash. It's at the end of a 5-mile unpaved road.

What do I like about it?

1. Spectacular views of the north Atlantic. The campground is on a high bluff overlooking the ocean.

2. Great hiking nearby.

3. The Meat Cove Chowder Hut, a small on-site restaurant serving great local seafood. Somewhat expensive, since everything but the seafood comes from far away, but still worth it in my book.

But if you're not looking for a real adventure, I advise staying away from Meat Cove.

We also spent a couple of nights at Plage St. Pierre in Cheticamp and enjoyed it. It's a more conventional campground.
Razaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #13

Registry
Great ideas, thanks!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #14

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Flower Pot Rocks (NB ) is a must see. Tidal range near 40 feet, look for 4' per hour during the 2 hours of midtide. At high you will see a few small islets, but at low tide those islets are nearly fifty feet overhead.
Mitchell
M. Bober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:44 AM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's another name for the Hopewell Rocks mentioned earlier.