Advise on trip plan to warmer location in April/May - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Bob and Norm,

You have just highlighted one of my life's biggest dilemmas. I envy both your retirement lifestyles but feel they're mostly incompatible. Unless I retire very well off
Still a long ways ahead anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Choices, though different, are not exclusionary. Both can be good choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
HA Norm, I also admit to being weird but probably in different directions. I would be quite interested in that Fly Wheelers show. Sometimes I get too set in my ways, what I know and what I'm comfortable with limits me in exploring new places. I need to follow your ideas more. Always enjoy your posts.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Bob and Norm,

You have just highlighted one of my life's biggest dilemmas. I envy both your retirement lifestyles but feel they're mostly incompatible. Unless I retire very well off
Still a long ways ahead anyway.

Do you mean between Norm and me we are incompatible, or what we do is incompatible with what you want or can do. I will say Norm does much different that what I do, and I really admire what and how he does it. I'm more stuck in possessions and routine. I wouldn't say I was well off, wife and I had blue collar jobs, retired with small pensions and social security. Could not afford to travel the country but do manage to get out of the cold northeast for the winter and use our campers in the summer mostly within a few hours of home. We live fairly simple lives otherwise and don't require much. We want to keep our current home until the time that we can no longer maintain it. Then we'll get our kids to take care of us !!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Mostly I'm day dreaming of the everyday weekend and how me and my wife would like to spend it. There's a part of us that would love a chunk of land, some fruit trees, pets and a barn/shop with "projects" I could work on. I love to renovate and build things. Though life stages prevent it at this time.
We also love travel and exploring. I agree with Norm that there is so much to see. Little time to see what interests me let alone "see it all".
When we do retire I don't think we can do both. Unless we had a finically windfall.

(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Patrick, April and early May temperatures in Southern Utah are quite good, and the sheer number of parks and monuments in that state make it a great destination. You could have a very memorable trip by visiting the Grand Canyon, then Zion NP, then Red Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome Basin. Continue to Capitol Reef NP, Goblin Valley SP, Arches NP, and Canyonlands. The variety of sandstone colors and formations is staggering.

By then you probably will be into mid-May, and a drive through the mountains on your way back will provide a nice counterpoint of snow-capped peaks, rugged granite, green forests and blue lakes. Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton area come to mind... or for a quicker ride home if you're feeling tired, just take I-70.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

The Florida Fly Wheeler show is truly amazing. People come from all over the country. The outside display aisles are 17 miles long. People come with golf carts and all kinds of misc. vehicles. The parking lot aisles are all named after various existing and defunct tractor brands. They tractor tow platforms to pick people up in their row. There is no charge for parking, $7 admission fee.

They have a huge site. Within the site is a permanent village with a green, church, every imaginable small town building, stores, fire station, auto dealer, saw mill, ... all stocked with vintage 'stuff'.

Last year my favorite was a working 1/8th scale Wasp engine, amazing craftsmanship.

I've attended every year I happen to be here at show time, shows are 3 times a winter. Over Christmas season their village is lit up for the holiday and they have night time tractor rides thru the park, with a number of stops where member built treats are provided, the charge is canned goods for the hungry. It seems to be a really good group of people. (All treats are baked by the members.)

Best yet they have camping during their shows.

Florida Flywheelers Antique Engine Club

The Florida Flywheelers, another thing I could not imagine before hitting the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Mike McGee, That Utah journey sounds like a trip I did with my wife and two children back in 1987 but we also included the sites in Pikes Peak, 4 Corners, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park, Custer National Park and more!!!! The trip took 6 weeks and a year to plan and reserve campgrounds in the more popular National Parks....all by mail...before the Internet. The planing was well worth the effort and I might retrace some of that trip one day....but....like Norm says...there is so much to see and so many places to visit and time is short...we saved a lot with both my wife and I working (sometimes more than one job at a time for me when I was younger).... We have enough money (if we budget our trips) to travel in our Travel Trailer and go where we wish....thank god for the RV...it makes so many more journeys possible...if we had to go via Hotel/Motel and restaurants the money would run out too soon to cover much ground.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Thanks, Norm, for the link to the Florida Fly Wheelers. I live an hour and a half away, and never heard of it. My uncle will love this.
Sherry