Alaska Highway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Great photos, Dave! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 AM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Deb, come along with me. I'll virtually be by myself as the caravan I was going with meet up with on June 14th in Dawson Creek won't be there until about the 16th. I'm not willing to loose 2 days plus I was going to be in Dawson Creek a couple of days prior to the 14th. So, I've decided that if I'm going to be by myself, then what am I waiting for, I'll leave Dawson Creek on June 11th for Alaska.

It'll only take you 3 days maybe 4 to get from Minnesota to Dawson Creek. BC. So hit the road on the June 5th and meet me in Dawson Creek on June 11th. I'm coming back by Ferry but you could meet up with the caravan as I will be in the same vacinity as they from Anchorage back to the Alaskan highway. It'd be easy for you to join them for the trip back.

Oh, and I don't do 400 miles a day. That's what David would have averaged with 4000 miles in 10 days. I figure the most I'll do is one stretch that is about 300 miles. I like to dilly dally. Plus I doubt I'll ever do the trip again so I'm in no hurry. Other than I do have to be in Haines, AK on July 17th to meet the ferry.

My trip will be a total of about 10 weeks, door to door. I'd make it longer but I've got a commitment to participate in a golf tournament mid August.

So there you go!!! What are you waiting??? Hitch that little Scamp up.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 AM   #23

Criag,

What's your impression of the Alaska highway??? I was given plans for a rock guard for the front of my Jeep. I wondered if it was really necessary as all I've been reading lately is how the highway is nearly completely asphalt, no more if any gravel stretches. I know there will be road construction due to frost heaves but other than that it sounds like a rock guard really isn't necessary any more.

What do you think??
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Joy,
The Alaska Highway is in very good condition. Most of the Yukon portion is better than many highways in the lower forty-eight. The exception would be from Kluane Lake to the Alaska border. That section is what they call chip seal. It is a hard packed fine gravel that is very abrasive to painted surfaces and plastic parts like fender flares. The area around wheel wells was most susceptible.
A friend told me all the horror stories about the flying rocks and I took all that to heart. In addition to a bra on the front of my Tacoma, I protected the headlights with clear plastic covers and put some heavy screen (hardware cloth) in front of the radiator. That may have been overkill but I was glad that I did. The windshield was insured and changed my deductible to $25. The only rock to hit my windshield was on the four lane going into Anchorage. I covered the lower front of the Casita and with a double layer of duct tape. A single layer was not thick enough.
Attached Thumbnails
White_Pass_RR.jpg  
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #25

Craig,

Thanks for the info. on the highway. It was just last year that you drove it so I value your assessment as compared to people I know who haven't been on the Alaskan highway for many many years.

I've heard that they are working on the Kluane to the Alaska border stretch. I have a feeling it won't be completed within the next 30 days when I'll be passing through.

I did make the gravel guard out of PVC and hardware cloth, which wraps around the front of the Tow vehicle. However, I'd been reading how good the road is today and thought maybe I wouldn't need it. I think I'll keep it as I'll pass through the Kluane/Border area twice, the second time to get to Haines and the ferry.

Any way, thanks again.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Joy, I will speak for everyone here and wish you a safe and exciting trip! We have been talking about going next year so can't wait to hear of your adventure, and what to do and not to do.

A trip of a lifetime!

Best of luck.

Pat and Marilyn and Elvis
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #27

Joy,

It sounds like you have done your homework and have your trip well planed. I hope that you have allowed two or three days in your schedule to explore Haines and Skagway. For some reason, very few travelers have much to say about that area but I enjoyed Haines as much or more than any other stop on me trips. In my opinion, the drive from Haines Junction to Haines should be on anyone’s list of the most scenic highways in North America. It is only a short ride by water taxi (fast ferry) to Skagway. For travelers taking the Inside Passage ferry out of Haines, there is no reason to take a vehicle. Most attractions are a short walk from the dock. One day tours to Juneau and Glacier Bay National Park originate at Haines. http://www.haines.ak.us/

For anyone contemplating an Alaskan adventure, there are a few essentials that will help with you trip planning or save you some cash.
Murray Lundberg lives at Carcross and travels most of the northern highways frequently. While it is not a substitute for the Milepost, his web site is the best source for up to date highway information and the photos are wonderful.
http://www.explorenorth.com/bio.html

The TourSaver offers many two-for- one discounts on popular attractions. It costs $99.95 but we saved that much on just one Kenai Fjords tour. There is little or no saving for solo travelers but families often buy two.
http://www.toursaver.com/

This photo of the Haines Highway is typical of most Yukon highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Haines_Highway.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #28

Patrick, Marilyn & Elvis....thanks for the good wishes. Lily and I are going to have a great time and trip. I purchased a laptop last week so I'll be able to check the site occasionally as well emails. Portability and WiFi are wonderful.

Craig,
I do plan to visit Skagway. In fact, I don't want to pull my trailer down and back up nor do I want to take a sea taxi there. My plan is that on the way up to Alaska I'll stay in Whitehorse for a few days. Then I'll take a day trip to Skagway without the Scamp.

I was originally staying in Haines the night before catching the ferry but I've now added an extra night. This gives me 2 full days as my ferry trip isn't until evening.

I just received an email from BC ferries that one of their ferries sunk last March. It happened to be the ferry I was scheduled on. They've changed my reservation to another ferry however the 15 hr. trip will now be 18 1/2 to 20 hrs. I'm thinking about cancelling that leg of the trip which was to take me from Prince Rupert to Vancouver, Island. That's a long time for Lily to be in the hold, with me able to visit once every 5 hrs. for just 15 minutes or so.

I was given a heads up on the Alaska ferry system and found that they are currently repairing the fast ferry I was to take from Juneau to Sitka. Currently they've only cancelled the June sailings. July is questionable. This is a good reason to have my new laptop so I can check my emails.

Sitka is a tough port to get in and out of. You may have 1 night or you may end up having to stay for nearly a week. I might end up cancelling Sitka, although I don't want to.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #29

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Beautiful photos! We really want to do this trip too. We might have to wait for retirement.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #30

Trailer: 96 Scamp 13 ft
That brings back great memories! I've done the Al-can twice from Colorado (but not with RV). Great pics! Thanks for sharing!!
Scott Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #31

Joy,
I heard about the sinking in March but didn’t realize that you were scheduled to sail on the Queen of the North. Fortunately there was no loss of life. If you do cancel the long ferry trip, it opens up other opportunities that Lily will appreciate. Lily would not enjoy the long hours on the car deck. If you skip the day trip to Skagway, you can still see Haines on the return trip and save a day by taking the short Alaska Ferries ride to Skagway. Then take the Cassiar Highway to Stewart and Hyder. It’s not every day that you get a chance to stay at Camp Run-A-Muck or sample Diana's wonderful cooking at The Bus. Don’t miss Jade City and the one of a kind Toaster Museum in Stewart.Queen of the North sinking
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #32

Yes Craig,

When I get off the Alaska ferry at Prince Rupert, I'll drive on the Yellowhead highway. Then at the junction of the Cassiar I'll drop the Scamp for a night or two. This gives me the opportunity to go to Hyder and Stewart for the day. I've driven the Yellowhead in years past but not taken time to go up the Cassair any distance.

Because of the long drive through BC I'll not go to Vancouver Island this trip. Driving down will use up half the days I had intended for the Island. I've been there many times so I'll not be that disappointed. It'll be saved it for another day when I'm looking for a medium length trip.

Hey by that time I'll have done Alaska and the Inside Passage via Alaskan Ferries, what more could I ask....

Ain't life grand
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #33

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I'll echo the dream trip wishes.

Thanks for the pics! They are beautiful!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Amazing photos!

I especially liked the photo of the big grizzly beside the road. What a healthy animal!

Do you ever do any mountain climbing?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Boler
HI Joy!!! Not sure if you have left already for your Northern Adventure...if so, hope you get this email on the road....I've read all of the advice you've got on this thread and they are bang on. We drive to Homer Alaska every summer for our annual Halibut fishing trip and the highways just keep getting better.
I noticed you will be in Whitehorse YK for a few days....do you know what dates? I may be there for business in the next few weeks.
Also, when in Whitehorse, you can boondock at the local Walmart there! Also, if you want, please visit our station if you have time. (CBC North)
Frank and Karen (just ask for either) would be more than happy to give you a bit of a tour!

Have a great time and remember our famous saying..."there is no such thing as bad weather...just the wrong clothes!"

Jamie
Jamie Hubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #36

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I'll echo the dream trip wishes.

Thanks for the pics! They are beautiful!

Not sure how to post a reply...planning the Alaska trip from Maine to Fairbanks starting May 2007 would welcome others to join up. E-mail me.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #37

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft
Think i got it...Drove the Alaska highway in 2004 and 2005 but not with a camper. Planning the plan for May 2007 . Looking at 300 + or - miles per day with several days in Whitehorse then on to Fairbanks and Nenana, spend about 2 weeks and head back.
My e-mail is rmayrand@metrocast,net.

Really enjoyed all the AK comments and pics. Richard M
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote