Amish Country PA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Amish Country PA

My wife our two dogs and I will be traveling with the Scamp from N.C. to upstate N.Y. on October 2nd to visit family. We are stopping over near Lancaster PA for a few days to see the Amish area. Were planning on staying at Country Acres Campground in Gordonville, PA. Anyone been there? Have any information for driving around and seeing the area. Thanks in Advance. Ted
Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We stayed in a motel in Bird-in-hand a few years ago. Interesting area. The motel had a small bus that took us on a tour. That was great because we got off on some back roads and stopped at a couple places, a Quilt shop, a farm where they were building outdoor furniture, and a place where they made pretzels. We also did a buggy ride. Went to the train museum and did a train ride. The whole deal is a little odd to me, I don't quite get it. The Amish are not supposed to have electricity yet they are using cordless tools that have to be recharged. The quilt shop was using air powered sewing machines, but where does the compressed air come from. How are they cooling milk on the farms. They are pulling a hay baler with horses yet it has an engine on it. The Menonites have tractors but when the rubber tires wear out they are replaced with steel wheels. I sat next to the driver on the buggy ride and probably drove him nuts with all my questions. The Amish surely have learned to take advantage of the tourists as they have all kinds of roadside stands to sell baked goods and other items. The buggy ride stopped at a farm where a young girl came out with a basket of trinkets to sell. Most impressive were the farms that were immaculate and not a weed in sight in the fields. The Amish don't have cars but can hire one to take them shopping. It was a very interesting area and we will go back.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Lancaster County is very interesting and visually impressive. Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse is owned by a husband/wife who own a Casita. They were at Scamp Camp in Sebring last February and donated a week's stay at their campground as a door prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just be careful to not confuse what the Mennonites do vs. the Amish and the two or three other sects that live in their area. And, above all, please do not take pictures of any of them, it's against their beliefs.

It's a bit touristy, but if you want to learn about their way of life it's fascinating, if you want entertainment, keep going.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi...we were there in june. we stayed at the state park, french creek. it was very nice and about a 20 minute drive away, thru beautiful farmland.

i agree with bob---it is hard to get my head around seeing amish driving an SUV to go shopping (rented) yet professing to shun all modern technology...and we saw generators, engines and other mechanized machinery, too, on the farms. and going to work at jobs where everything is modern yet going home to their simple life seems almost hypocritical.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think most of the Amish machinery, like air compressors, generators, and refridgeration equipment is fueled by propane or natural gas.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
As I understand Amish philosophy, it is OK to use power tools, ride in automobiles, etc. as long as they do not own the power tools or machinery. I'm not sure I would label them as hypocritical in a world where it is all but impossible not to encounter "modern technology."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
From my understanding (mostly via reading), the principle is their interpretation of the scripture mandate to be "in the world but not part of it" (my paraphrase of the verse). They interpret being connected directly to the grid as being connected to the world. That is why they use 12v or propane, not because of the issue of technology but connection with the world. Same for entertainment, transportation, and communication. Having to hire a car or go outside the home for a phone keeps the connection minimized. Also keep in mind that the specific application of belief is determined by the religious hierarchy that is local to the area, some are more strict or more relaxed in their interpretation.
Casting the "hypocrite" stone is a risky thing to do. As Bob implied, seeking to understand a different lifestyle is a good reason to visit.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
hi...we were there in june. we stayed at the state park, french creek. it was very nice and about a 20 minute drive away, thru beautiful farmland.

i agree with bob---it is hard to get my head around seeing amish driving an SUV to go shopping (rented) yet professing to shun all modern technology...and we saw generators, engines and other mechanized machinery, too, on the farms. and going to work at jobs where everything is modern yet going home to their simple life seems almost hypocritical.
Hi: theresa p... Our last encounter with Amish was in Indiana. Seemed odd to see their buggy equipped with LED lights and battery with solar charger at home. Also using a power mower to cut the grass!!! It's all in the hippo campus I guess.
Heading to Pine Grove PA. next weekend.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote