Any campgrounds with no children? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Funny though, when we lived in an RV park, our biggest issue was very loud televisions from the older set or their barking yappy little dogs. My children were not like the ones being discussed and we always got compliments. Youngest was homeschooled. Other than AZ or FL and maybe some other snowbird locations, we never seen many adult only parks and we traveled some distance. And, I remember thinking when we were 50 that it would be forever before we could get into those 55 plus parks, at 57, I'm wishing that was the case but time goes by quickly.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Wow, everyone! Thanks!

BTW, the grown child is actually my wife's, not mine. I married her just 5 years ago!

Anyway, ah, state forests.. hmm.. great idea but new problem. Yesterday, NYS where we live announced NO smoking on any state parks, state beaches, state campgrounds, state forests, etc. My wife smokes! Ha. She is gonna have a fit! Hahaha.

Melissa, your screenname sounded familiar. Were you on another web forum that you talked about bad experiences with children out there at campgrounds?

John Warren, well, I have to admit I talk loud too. I am Deaf. My wife is more of the one wanted no children around. I don't either although all my life I had no children of my own and wanted one (dating was tough back then.. long story). For me, the running around visually gets me though. When I was younger, no problem with my nephews and a niece. I baby sat my niece who was a baby once or twice. No biggie. She is now 18 and bright person (graduated just passed age 17 from HS.)

Yeah I hear graduations are bad for many schools. Usually city schools are. Around here, it is 35 percent graduate rate (read it yesterday also) even this is Regents state (only one of two).

Melissa, I would love to come to Florida. Long drive with Scamp with my Silverado with gas at 4 dollars a gallon. Someday! I love Florida! Lived there briefly in 2002 when I was engaged to someone else who is living in Mea-me! (Miami). Another long story! Hahaha. Also my father is living in Florida (Bradenton).

PETS!! Oh that is another thing. We have two dogs. One is crazy lab!! Sometimes we would bring them but other times no so that we can have a break. They will be dog sitting.

Ok, we will remember to ask for area without kids.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We carefully plan not to be close to playgrounds and beaches. We also do not camp on holiday weekends.
Best time to avoid families is while school is in session and mid- week if possible. We also actively seek out radio-free areas as they are apparently fatal to teenagers.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Commercial Member

New York
Again, thanks. During the week would be nice! Hmm.. problem is that my wife works as an LPN during the week, not weekends. So, only best time for her is weekends. Drats.

I love being independent!! Hee hee! Still working on my new RV company... Currently talking with a fiberglass and composite company locally.

Of course, beach.. and not to forget is open fields. I noticed some RV parks have a lot of open fields that you can easily see everyone and their RVs. I can see kids around. My wife and I like best is the thick forest campgrounds. With our Scamp, it makes it easier than say, a big rig which requires open space or field.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
While National Forests are few in NY State (there is exactly one) they abound in most other states. Here is a listing:
Find a Forest by State
And again, you usually have to inquire at the local Hq to learn the locations of the Red Post areas.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Mark, Sounds like Moose River Plains up in the Adirondack's might be your place to go. You can look it up via Google, its very rustic and a lot of places to camp. You do have to sign in/out and there is no electric or other facilities either. We use to have a egg get together there every fall late Sept-early Oct. But haven't seen it posted here lately. If you want to get away by yourself's this might be the place to go and its free.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
One other thought, we were in a private campground and the owner would not take care of the "problem" and when we called the sheriff, they said that since it was on private property, the owner would have to be the one to take care of it but they gave him a call.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
Commercial Member

New York
Tim, my wife is very mad after I started to talk to her about the no smoking in state parks in NYS because of now new law you cant smoke in NYS parks, etc. She heard on the radio before I could bring that subject up carefully. Haha. She said she will smoke in the truck, not outside and not in our new Scamp. We want the scamp to be smokefree smell.

Easy for me to camp alone somewhere but with her, looks like more public or private grounds to go to other than state grounds. We do not know about other states like PA with smoking.

See my other thread about the no smoking in NYS parks.

For me, actually I am glad no smoking!! But then again, my wife... she can't smoke outside! Truck is gonna smell!! GRR!

Anyway, thanks Tim. I think I heard of that place in the Adirondacks. I grew up going with my father to snowmobile in Boonville, Moose Head, Turin, etc. Mostly Tug Hill area. There was a campground but they are closed called North West Passage. Any of you heard of it? It was a campground, motel, cabins... a hot spot for snowmobilers. When it was closed up, my father had to go to Best Western Motorlodge to stay for the weekend.

So, I am very familiar with the area, Tim.

Will check it out!

Cathy P., thanks for advice. If owner is not doing anything, best bet is to leave and perhaps file a complaint with BBB if the Sheriff's department says its private property. One thing you could say, your trailer is a private property and they have private property and you can still get in touch with Sheriff's because its between two private properties. Have to be smart to say right words.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
To each his own....

I work with Scouts and Cubs regularly. Cadets and Guides and other youth groups from time to time. I will be doing knotting with kids at the TTT festival in May, attending a Jamboree at the end of June and hopefully sharing a week with friends from BSA in NH in July. Also making plans for a major jamboree in Alberta or West Virginia for 2013.
95% of my complaints over the years have been in relation to adults - alcohol, radios and CD players etc. too loud, guitars and singalongs late into the night after quiet time, or non pooper scoopers.....
I can't imagine a campground without the sound of children or sunrise without the sound of birds. I'm well past the seven zero mark so maybe it is a old guy thing.
As I say,,,, to each his [or her] own.... D.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #24

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I second moose river. I did bring my young daughter there and saw a few kids but it is nicely wooded and there are lots of spots to chose from, from field to wooded to waterfront. If you get there on the right day there is a site allllll the way down back... To the right of the water as you pull in. Nobody will bother you there. if I remember correctly you will want to drive real slow on the long road in... I thought for sure we were lost... But that was almost 10 years ago. There are also primitive pull off camp spots on the back roads in the adirondacks you can hunt for. Sometimes the hunting is half the fun!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #25

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
loud kids and loud adults

Boy, a slew of loud kids and their loud rock and roll parent's music just about ruined a weekend for our families yearly river float trip.
My daughter asked them to quiet down, please. Think they got louder!
We called the campground security but got little help there.
Finally we sent our son-in-law over there. He has a way with calming the situations and he just laid it on the line with the dad.
He said we all paid our money and we just wanted a nice quiet weekend. He told them there was an area called the Zoo- where you can party all day and night-just on the other side of the river.
Next thing we knew our son-in - law was helping the dad with a tent problem. The kids were quiet and the music was turned to an acceptable level. Guess the dad just needed someone to be to lay down the law.
We usually try to stay at the back of the campgrounds-away from busy areas.
We have 8 grandkids-so we do appreciate quit times!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Commercial Member

New York
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
Boy, a slew of loud kids and their loud rock and roll parent's music just about ruined a weekend for our families yearly river float trip.
My daughter asked them to quiet down, please. Think they got louder!
We called the campground security but got little help there.
Finally we sent our son-in-law over there. He has a way with calming the situations and he just laid it on the line with the dad.
He said we all paid our money and we just wanted a nice quiet weekend. He told them there was an area called the Zoo- where you can party all day and night-just on the other side of the river.
Next thing we knew our son-in - law was helping the dad with a tent problem. The kids were quiet and the music was turned to an acceptable level. Guess the dad just needed someone to be to lay down the law.
We usually try to stay at the back of the campgrounds-away from busy areas.
We have 8 grandkids-so we do appreciate quit times!
Wow, your son-in-law really knew how to be a leader. He's a born-leader and the dad a follower. There are two types of people out there, leaders and follower.

That is awesome.

Now I noticed from many of you said about campground security.. wow, they do not do much and the sheriff/police can not do anything about it. Hmm.. I can understand why owners or managements do not want to lose customers because of noises or anything in that nature. They are stuck in between quiet types and the noisy Hmm. I can understand why campgrounds do not have much of a good security because of cost. It would have cost 20 dollars per site per day more to hire security. Depends on size.

This can be of a good subject for campground owners association's conferences. How to address this.

Many do have rules but that is all they can do as I can see that myself.

Been to campgrounds before.. with friends' trailers years ago or stayed at cabins. Only campground with heavy security is one in Tenn. Way heavy that turned off quite a bit of people.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #27

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Wild Ducks Campground in Scarborough, ME is adults-only and only 6 miles from the beach on a very flat road. Many people ride a bike to the shore. People were very friendly and the pets (lots of dogs) were well-behaved. We had a great time.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
While National Forests are few in NY State (there is exactly one) they abound in most other states. Here is a listing:
Find a Forest by State
And again, you usually have to inquire at the local Hq to learn the locations of the Red Post areas.
I've been using National Forests for years, more than I care to count, and I've never heard of "Red Post" areas. But, I've also never had to have a campstove permit. Must be California things..