Any campgrounds with no children? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
One other thought, we were in a private campground and the owner would not take care of the "problem" and when we called the sheriff, they said that since it was on private property, the owner would have to be the one to take care of it but they gave him a call.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Tim, my wife is very mad after I started to talk to her about the no smoking in state parks in NYS because of now new law you cant smoke in NYS parks, etc. She heard on the radio before I could bring that subject up carefully. Haha. She said she will smoke in the truck, not outside and not in our new Scamp. We want the scamp to be smokefree smell.

Easy for me to camp alone somewhere but with her, looks like more public or private grounds to go to other than state grounds. We do not know about other states like PA with smoking.

See my other thread about the no smoking in NYS parks.

For me, actually I am glad no smoking!! But then again, my wife... she can't smoke outside! Truck is gonna smell!! GRR!

Anyway, thanks Tim. I think I heard of that place in the Adirondacks. I grew up going with my father to snowmobile in Boonville, Moose Head, Turin, etc. Mostly Tug Hill area. There was a campground but they are closed called North West Passage. Any of you heard of it? It was a campground, motel, cabins... a hot spot for snowmobilers. When it was closed up, my father had to go to Best Western Motorlodge to stay for the weekend.

So, I am very familiar with the area, Tim.

Will check it out!

Cathy P., thanks for advice. If owner is not doing anything, best bet is to leave and perhaps file a complaint with BBB if the Sheriff's department says its private property. One thing you could say, your trailer is a private property and they have private property and you can still get in touch with Sheriff's because its between two private properties. Have to be smart to say right words.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
To each his own....

I work with Scouts and Cubs regularly. Cadets and Guides and other youth groups from time to time. I will be doing knotting with kids at the TTT festival in May, attending a Jamboree at the end of June and hopefully sharing a week with friends from BSA in NH in July. Also making plans for a major jamboree in Alberta or West Virginia for 2013.
95% of my complaints over the years have been in relation to adults - alcohol, radios and CD players etc. too loud, guitars and singalongs late into the night after quiet time, or non pooper scoopers.....
I can't imagine a campground without the sound of children or sunrise without the sound of birds. I'm well past the seven zero mark so maybe it is a old guy thing.
As I say,,,, to each his [or her] own.... D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #24

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I second moose river. I did bring my young daughter there and saw a few kids but it is nicely wooded and there are lots of spots to chose from, from field to wooded to waterfront. If you get there on the right day there is a site allllll the way down back... To the right of the water as you pull in. Nobody will bother you there. if I remember correctly you will want to drive real slow on the long road in... I thought for sure we were lost... But that was almost 10 years ago. There are also primitive pull off camp spots on the back roads in the adirondacks you can hunt for. Sometimes the hunting is half the fun!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
loud kids and loud adults

Boy, a slew of loud kids and their loud rock and roll parent's music just about ruined a weekend for our families yearly river float trip.
My daughter asked them to quiet down, please. Think they got louder!
We called the campground security but got little help there.
Finally we sent our son-in-law over there. He has a way with calming the situations and he just laid it on the line with the dad.
He said we all paid our money and we just wanted a nice quiet weekend. He told them there was an area called the Zoo- where you can party all day and night-just on the other side of the river.
Next thing we knew our son-in - law was helping the dad with a tent problem. The kids were quiet and the music was turned to an acceptable level. Guess the dad just needed someone to be to lay down the law.
We usually try to stay at the back of the campgrounds-away from busy areas.
We have 8 grandkids-so we do appreciate quit times!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
Boy, a slew of loud kids and their loud rock and roll parent's music just about ruined a weekend for our families yearly river float trip.
My daughter asked them to quiet down, please. Think they got louder!
We called the campground security but got little help there.
Finally we sent our son-in-law over there. He has a way with calming the situations and he just laid it on the line with the dad.
He said we all paid our money and we just wanted a nice quiet weekend. He told them there was an area called the Zoo- where you can party all day and night-just on the other side of the river.
Next thing we knew our son-in - law was helping the dad with a tent problem. The kids were quiet and the music was turned to an acceptable level. Guess the dad just needed someone to be to lay down the law.
We usually try to stay at the back of the campgrounds-away from busy areas.
We have 8 grandkids-so we do appreciate quit times!
Wow, your son-in-law really knew how to be a leader. He's a born-leader and the dad a follower. There are two types of people out there, leaders and follower.

That is awesome.

Now I noticed from many of you said about campground security.. wow, they do not do much and the sheriff/police can not do anything about it. Hmm.. I can understand why owners or managements do not want to lose customers because of noises or anything in that nature. They are stuck in between quiet types and the noisy Hmm. I can understand why campgrounds do not have much of a good security because of cost. It would have cost 20 dollars per site per day more to hire security. Depends on size.

This can be of a good subject for campground owners association's conferences. How to address this.

Many do have rules but that is all they can do as I can see that myself.

Been to campgrounds before.. with friends' trailers years ago or stayed at cabins. Only campground with heavy security is one in Tenn. Way heavy that turned off quite a bit of people.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #27

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Wild Ducks Campground in Scarborough, ME is adults-only and only 6 miles from the beach on a very flat road. Many people ride a bike to the shore. People were very friendly and the pets (lots of dogs) were well-behaved. We had a great time.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
While National Forests are few in NY State (there is exactly one) they abound in most other states. Here is a listing:
Find a Forest by State
And again, you usually have to inquire at the local Hq to learn the locations of the Red Post areas.
I've been using National Forests for years, more than I care to count, and I've never heard of "Red Post" areas. But, I've also never had to have a campstove permit. Must be California things..
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
CNY new biz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
Again, thanks. During the week would be nice! Hmm.. problem is that my wife works as an LPN during the week, not weekends. So, only best time for her is weekends. Drats.

I love being independent!! Hee hee! Still working on my new RV company... Currently talking with a fiberglass and composite company locally.

Of course, beach.. and not to forget is open fields. I noticed some RV parks have a lot of open fields that you can easily see everyone and their RVs. I can see kids around. My wife and I like best is the thick forest campgrounds. With our Scamp, it makes it easier than say, a big rig which requires open space or field.
CNY, if you get your RV company up and going you can get low volume custom storage rack liners or pockets here:

RV Widget Works | ,

yup, this is a blatant advertisement..................

Charlie

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Been my experience that the more primitive the campground the fewer children. Especially younger children. It's more work for the parents camping with children. Hand pump and pit toilets make that work harder. Especially problematic are children small enough to fall into vault toilets. If the kid is not afraid, the parent probably will be.

This may be changing a bit as fully self contained features are getting more common in smaller and less expensive camper units. Growing up AC and flush toilet was not something one had in a pop up. More common now.

Beware the RV with generator that runs all day while the adult owners sit inside in air conditioning and watch satellite TV. To me much worse than children playing and using "outside voices", they are after all outside. Beats the heck out of them sitting around playing video games all day. Still noise is more of a problem for some than others.

The other thing is campground without anything for children, no beach or pool, no attractions near that are child centric generally mean fewer people will bring kids there.

Seems to me the provincial parks in Canada tend to have more green "buffer" between sites than our Michigan State Parks do. That might help.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #31

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our kids have not camped with us in years but they're ages 47 and 45. About 10 years ago younger son, his wife, and two kids travelled with us to Colorado. The grandkids were ok, ages 4 and 7. Parents watch them pretty well. Things I intensly dislike are people cutting through our campsite, kids roaring around on bicycles, and very loud music (nearly always from the "adults."). A couple of weeks ago we were in an Ohio state park. The sites were very large with good distance between. It was very quiet.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The sound of children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
I work with Scouts and Cubs regularly. Cadets and Guides and other youth groups from time to time. I will be doing knotting with kids at the TTT festival in May, attending a Jamboree at the end of June and hopefully sharing a week with friends from BSA in NH in July. Also making plans for a major jamboree in Alberta or West Virginia for 2013.
95% of my complaints over the years have been in relation to adults - alcohol, radios and CD players etc. too loud, guitars and singalongs late into the night after quiet time, or non pooper scoopers.....
I can't imagine a campground without the sound of children or sunrise without the sound of birds. I'm well past the seven zero mark so maybe it is a old guy thing.
As I say,,,, to each his [or her] own.... D.
I have 5 children and 9 grandchildren and I can assure you I would rather listen to the laughter of children any day then the sounds of ATV's , jet skis generators , loud radios , yipping little dogs and inebriated obnoxious adults.. I hope my kids and grand kids always want me to spend time with them because it is one of the great joys in my life and hopefully in their's
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am with Scouter Dave and steve dunham on this. I would MUCH rather listen to the joyous sounds of children playing, than many of the adult related disturbances I have had to deal with.

Not to say that there have never been issues with children, which most of the time is a reflection on parenting, or lack thereof. If kids are being rude or obnoxious I will say something to the parents, though usually any correction is short lived. On the other hand, I am quick to commend parents whose children are well behaved.

All in all though, I would put the enjoyable experiences against ones that are more of a disturbance at about a 50:1 ratio.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #34

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
If you see me camping there is a 99.9% chance I will have the kids with me, I don't often go anywhere without them and I love it. However I don't care to deal with other peoples kids so I can totally relate to some of your posts. My boys are perfect though..hahaha.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #35

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i am actually seriously concidering owning a campground as a retirement business/partnership with one of my sons.

i picture an well run adults campground clean, quiet, with campsites spaced and planting planned for privacy and noise abaitment. i would have electric water and sewer sites, and electric/water only sites. the property has a nice fishpond and a trout river running threw it. i would have a small store , mostly ice firewood and a few sundries as a service to the campers. and we would offer seasonal sites as well as over winter services.
i would specificly target smaller campers, such as the fiberglass molded units we have, but would welcome those ones made our of that other material,,,what do they call it?,,,aluminium? lol specialy if they were vintage scotty , or the like.

ok so maybe its just a fancy parking spot for my camper....but hey i gotta dream.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #36

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Where we live now I camped when I was a kid. My grandparents owned the land then, having inherited it from my great grandparents (ggpa bought it after he got out of the Union Army). Camped on it some more when my parents owned it. When I inherited it we built the first house ever on the property. Now we live here and park our trailers here. Does that count as a campground?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #37

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
My wife and I are in age late 40's-early 50's. We would like a campground especially in NYS or nearby states close enough to drive to be able to camp without all the cries of babies and the wildlife of children and teenagers at a campground. We have a grown child who is refusing to leave home (she is 27 and we are looking for a man for her! Ha) Anyway, we want quietness. Any campgrounds like that.

We could not find a campground without children or at least adult only (please, not that kind you are thinking. We do not want nudity) for NYS. Found only one nearest is in Lancaster with Amish surrounded.

Any advices?

We also realized that KOA is more geared more for kiddies like McDonalds is for restaurants for kids.

We like to go to the rally in PA in June but we are still thinking about it because it is located at KOA. And the kids they mentioned in forum.

We got our trailer for a reason--to get away from children. We would love to see more campgrounds with choices that we do not have to bother with (children). We are not quite age 55 to qualify to stay at a 55 plus campgrounds which is more common in places like Florida.
I can sympathize with your desire to camp without kids. I have not considered it, but will now look for adult only campgrounds minus both dogs and kids. Don't get me wrong, I love kids and dogs. I just don't want to camp with them. My entire career has been in education. After all those students and our own, now adult children, I have had enough.
I wouldn't even mind nudity. Heck, I was born that way!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #38

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question I thought Adult-Only (18+ or 21+) properties were illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Come to Florida. I called 5 campgrounds in a row yesterday and none of them allowed children. Their age restrictions were adults only, not 55 and up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Wild Ducks Campground in Scarborough, ME is adults-only ...
I thought "Adult Only" properties had to be age 55+ since the mid 1980s?
I lived in an "Adult Only" (18+) Mobile Home Park back in the '70s that lost that status during the Reagan Administration due to the intense legal challenges of that time. "Senior Adult 55+" is the only allowed way to exclude children that I am aware of.

U.s. Fines Trailer Park Over `Adult Only' Area - Morning Call

Activists Target Mobile Home Parks : Adults-Only Housing Challenged in Legislature, Courts - Los Angeles Times
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #39

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Fred raises a very valid point about an "Adults Only" RV park. I rent several rooms in my own home and, even though I only allow 1 person per room, I still cannot specify "No Children" in my ads on Craigslist.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #40

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Fred raises a very valid point about an "Adults Only" RV park. I rent several rooms in my own home and, even though I only allow 1 person per room, I still cannot specify "No Children" in my ads on Craigslist.
OK, I have five kids, but that seems wrong. Renting a single room to someone with kids seems like something I would say no to.

And if I ever found a baby sitter that would take care of the situation for a week or two, I think I would like a no kids camp ground. Does that make me a bad parent?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote