Any campgrounds with no children? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Any campgrounds with no children?

My wife and I are in age late 40's-early 50's. We would like a campground especially in NYS or nearby states close enough to drive to be able to camp without all the cries of babies and the wildlife of children and teenagers at a campground. We have a grown child who is refusing to leave home (she is 27 and we are looking for a man for her! Ha) Anyway, we want quietness. Any campgrounds like that.

We could not find a campground without children or at least adult only (please, not that kind you are thinking. We do not want nudity) for NYS. Found only one nearest is in Lancaster with Amish surrounded.

Any advices?

We also realized that KOA is more geared more for kiddies like McDonalds is for restaurants for kids.

We like to go to the rally in PA in June but we are still thinking about it because it is located at KOA. And the kids they mentioned in forum.

We got our trailer for a reason--to get away from children. We would love to see more campgrounds with choices that we do not have to bother with (children). We are not quite age 55 to qualify to stay at a 55 plus campgrounds which is more common in places like Florida.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In as much as most RV and state/national parks want to hype themselves as being family activities, if you want a campground without kids and still want hookups I'll bet you are going to find them few and far between.
But, there are some in the National Forests that are usually only frequented by the more serious campers. Ask at your local Forest Service (not NPS) Office about "Red Post" campgrounds. These are smaller, primative campgrounds, usually with less than 5 sites, sometimes as few as 1 or 2. The good news: They are almost always free. The bad news: They are primative.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Come to Florida. I called 5 campgrounds in a row yesterday and none of them allowed children. Their age restrictions were adults only, not 55 and up. I'm the parent who has 2 girls ages 9 and 15 and homeschools. I was also the one who posted some of the horrible experiences we've had with other children. But if you were camped next to me and my girls you wouldnt hear a peep and they would gather firewood, help with the cooking/dishes, speak respectfully, use manners and are pleasant to be around. They enjoy being around adults and know how to behave and what is expected of them. They love to help and always clean up after themselves and others. Even complaining when kids/adults make a mess, leave trash or splatter all over the bathroom sinks and not wipe it up. We get so many compliments on our girl's behavior so if you see us at a Rally no worries. Just ask anyone at Scamp Camp.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Come to Florida. I called 5 campgrounds in a row yesterday and none of them allowed children. Their age restrictions were adults only, not 55 and up. I'm the parent who has 2 girls ages 9 and 15 and homeschools. I was also the one who posted some of the horrible experiences we've had with other children. But if you were camped next to me and my girls you wouldnt hear a peep and they would gather firewood, help with the cooking/dishes, speak respectfully, use manners and are pleasant to be around. They enjoy being around adults and know how to behave and what is expected of them. They love to help and always clean up after themselves and others. Even complaining when kids/adults make a mess, leave trash or splatter all over the bathroom sinks and not wipe it up. We get so many compliments on our girl's behavior so if you see us at a Rally no worries. Just ask anyone at Scamp Camp.
Count your blessings! I have 5 kids. Some are polite and helpful, others are typical sullen teenagers. The youngest is a holy terror. I can't explain the differences. Two of them are twins, and while they are good friends, they are nothing alike.

I am pretty sure that it is my family that the original poster is trying to avoid.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Holy cow, you have your hands full, Dave. I think homeschooling makes all the difference. It's scarry how much influence other kids have. Our girls hang out with other homeschooled kids in our homeschooling group and we have a few homeschooling families in our church to include the Pastor's girls (well one just graduated college and one just started college but they were homeschooled before). My oldest loves volunteering at a Retirement Home as well as our library every week which other teens have told her is lame, stupid, boring, pointless etc. My youngest cant wait till she is old enough to volunteer. Our girls still think we're cool and love to do stuff with us including board games, hang out and esp camp! They dont want to be in a tent by themselves they want to be with Mom and Dad, lol. But they are around other kids/teens who feel the same way so that is a huge factor. They dont have cell phones, Ipods, Ipads etc and they dont want them. My oldest has a laptop as her curriculum is all online so it's a necessity for her. The girls do have Nooks (thank you Gma/Gpa) as they love to read. There are now online programs as young as Kindergarten so there are options other than parents having to be the teacher. Homeschooling esp online only takes 3-4 hrs a day too esp when the computer does the lesson plans, grading etc.

Just an option if you'd like to try something different other than Gov't schools not teaching about responsibility, honesty, integrity, consequences and so on.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Mark, I understand! I am allergic to children, and my solution has been to do most of my significant camping/traveling during off seasons when they are in school. I really value finding quiet places, and kids are kids, and even good kids don't always realize they're using their outside voices for everything, yelling as they go. I have crazy sensitivities to noises, so it's easy to have my whole day wrecked by both kid and adult hollerers. Why do so many people have normal conversations at ear splitting decibels??

But as to your actual question....I have yet to encounter child-free campgrounds in my various travels.

(ps, Melissa, many very fine people graduate every year from the public school system, so I'd hate to paint the entire system as useless)
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
I live in a "Lord of the Flies" neighborhood. Sometimes I just need to break out the ear plugs in order to get enough peace to write. It's the one thing I can control.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

You're right Jen. I should have specified that our school district is awful. The graduation rate is around 50%, a good portion of the students just want to turn 16 so they can legally drop out, violence is a problem and we have a high teen pregnancy rate. The teachers are under so much pressure to try and get the kids to pass the FCAT that they are stressed to the max and dont have time to teach anything else.

I'm sooooooo glad you mentioned how loud people talk. I thought it was just me! When I'm sitting right next to or across from somebody there is no need to shout. Seems e'body uses outside voices as normal conversation tone. When you cant hear your spouse speaking normally in a restaurant something is wrong, lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I hear you. KOAs though, are kind of our preferred campground, as they usually have places for kids to play, so they are gone a lot.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We rarely see children in more rustic campgrounds, like national forest campgrounds. If you can live without power, you should check them out.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i hear you dude.....we should start a list of them
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Mark, I understand! I am allergic to children, and my solution has been to do most of my significant camping/traveling during off seasons when they are in school. I really value finding quiet places, and kids are kids, and even good kids don't always realize they're using their outside voices for everything, yelling as they go. I have crazy sensitivities to noises, so it's easy to have my whole day wrecked by both kid and adult hollerers. Why do so many people have normal conversations at ear splitting decibels??

But as to your actual question....I have yet to encounter child-free campgrounds in my various travels.

(ps, Melissa, many very fine people graduate every year from the public school system, so I'd hate to paint the entire system as useless)
i admit to speaking quite loudly at times, though i am aware of it and try to hold it down. i do have a prettyg ood hearing loss and that causes that, but i try not to be rude.
but,,,,some with hearing loss don't realise thats what it is,,,they think your mumbling.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When checking in a KOA you can always request a quiet spot away from the activities or ask who your neighbors will be. KOA reservations normally asks for # children and you merely request a spot away from those traveling with children. On the other hand, a lot persons without children will likely have pets who may interfere with your peace and quiet?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We just avoid weekends and holidays. also it's quiet when school is in session.
The advantage of having onboard "facilities" is that you can get a site away from high traffic areas like restroom/showerrooms and playground equipment. That mitigates the kid activities to a point where they are not a bother.
Pets are another issue altogether. Just as many have illbehaved dogs as have illbehaved children, plus children bite less and leave less excrement lying around to be stepped in!
Many places do put a size limit on pets.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Funny though, when we lived in an RV park, our biggest issue was very loud televisions from the older set or their barking yappy little dogs. My children were not like the ones being discussed and we always got compliments. Youngest was homeschooled. Other than AZ or FL and maybe some other snowbird locations, we never seen many adult only parks and we traveled some distance. And, I remember thinking when we were 50 that it would be forever before we could get into those 55 plus parks, at 57, I'm wishing that was the case but time goes by quickly.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

New York
Wow, everyone! Thanks!

BTW, the grown child is actually my wife's, not mine. I married her just 5 years ago!

Anyway, ah, state forests.. hmm.. great idea but new problem. Yesterday, NYS where we live announced NO smoking on any state parks, state beaches, state campgrounds, state forests, etc. My wife smokes! Ha. She is gonna have a fit! Hahaha.

Melissa, your screenname sounded familiar. Were you on another web forum that you talked about bad experiences with children out there at campgrounds?

John Warren, well, I have to admit I talk loud too. I am Deaf. My wife is more of the one wanted no children around. I don't either although all my life I had no children of my own and wanted one (dating was tough back then.. long story). For me, the running around visually gets me though. When I was younger, no problem with my nephews and a niece. I baby sat my niece who was a baby once or twice. No biggie. She is now 18 and bright person (graduated just passed age 17 from HS.)

Yeah I hear graduations are bad for many schools. Usually city schools are. Around here, it is 35 percent graduate rate (read it yesterday also) even this is Regents state (only one of two).

Melissa, I would love to come to Florida. Long drive with Scamp with my Silverado with gas at 4 dollars a gallon. Someday! I love Florida! Lived there briefly in 2002 when I was engaged to someone else who is living in Mea-me! (Miami). Another long story! Hahaha. Also my father is living in Florida (Bradenton).

PETS!! Oh that is another thing. We have two dogs. One is crazy lab!! Sometimes we would bring them but other times no so that we can have a break. They will be dog sitting.

Ok, we will remember to ask for area without kids.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We carefully plan not to be close to playgrounds and beaches. We also do not camp on holiday weekends.
Best time to avoid families is while school is in session and mid- week if possible. We also actively seek out radio-free areas as they are apparently fatal to teenagers.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
Commercial Member

New York
Again, thanks. During the week would be nice! Hmm.. problem is that my wife works as an LPN during the week, not weekends. So, only best time for her is weekends. Drats.

I love being independent!! Hee hee! Still working on my new RV company... Currently talking with a fiberglass and composite company locally.

Of course, beach.. and not to forget is open fields. I noticed some RV parks have a lot of open fields that you can easily see everyone and their RVs. I can see kids around. My wife and I like best is the thick forest campgrounds. With our Scamp, it makes it easier than say, a big rig which requires open space or field.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While National Forests are few in NY State (there is exactly one) they abound in most other states. Here is a listing:
Find a Forest by State
And again, you usually have to inquire at the local Hq to learn the locations of the Red Post areas.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Mark, Sounds like Moose River Plains up in the Adirondack's might be your place to go. You can look it up via Google, its very rustic and a lot of places to camp. You do have to sign in/out and there is no electric or other facilities either. We use to have a egg get together there every fall late Sept-early Oct. But haven't seen it posted here lately. If you want to get away by yourself's this might be the place to go and its free.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote