Any Camping Suggestions for Columbia, MO Area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Any Camping Suggestions for Columbia, MO Area

We will be visiting our son, who is a Mizzou student, toward the end of April and would like to take our camper. Do any of you have suggestion for where to stay in the Columbia area?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Ray
I have heard that the CG in Kingdom City is not bad and would probably not be too crowded in April unless it is somehow really nice here by then?

I almost stayed there for the MS Bike Ride last year but ended up not needing to. A friend did though and has several times and says he really likes it and he tent camps.

Evidently it was not too nice in the past but has been under new management and it is coming back quickly.

Hanson Hills Campground - Welcome
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Here's a couple of campground reviews... We've never been there, hope this helps.

RV Park Reviews :: Columbia, Missouri ( MO ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #4

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions. We usually like state parks but the only one near Columbia is one of the two in Missouri built "specifically" for off-road vehicle use. It looks like a nice park, but they don't even have a hiking trail. They tell you to get in your car and go to another location if you want to go for a hike.

I ended up getting reservations at a commercial RV "park" closer to town. This part of the trip will mainly be for visiting our son, anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Registry
We ended up staying at Cottonwoods RV Park. It was nice for a commercial RV "park" and had excellent facilities including one of the nicest shower houses we've ever seen. It was still just a commercial parking lot and did not give the "back to nature" experience that we usually look for and find in state parks, but it did very nicely as a safe, convenient place to stay while visiting our son.

On this trip we also stayed at Fort Massac State Park in Illinois, Oak Mountain State Park in Alabama, and Trace State Park in Mississippi. I must say that I was quite shocked by the poor facilities at Fort Massac. The Alabama and Mississippi parks put it to shame, (and Mississippi is the poorest state in the union). If I get around to it I'll put in reviews for these parks.