Any good camping spots near Mpls, Mn - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico

I'll toss in my two cents worth of Info as a South-Lander: As for Camping near the Mall of America, my daughter lived in Eagan, MN for 2 years some years ago. A neat county campground near Eagan was Lebanon Hills Campground 12100 Johnny Cake Ridge Road in Apple Valley MN. It would not be to far to drive to the Mall from there. Apple Valley is about 20 miles south of the Twin Cities and just 10 minutes south of the Mall of America (at least that is what the zoo web site has listed). Not sure of a closer one. It is close to the neat MN Zoo as well.
Directions to Zoo
Lebanon Hills Visitor Center and Park

IMHO it would be more fun going to the zoo than visiting the other zoo. Ha! But is worth seeing, it is large with a small amusement park inside, in the center section. Perhaps even larger than when we there last, about 6 years ago, maybe today or at least close. I enjoyed seeing the place. Even did some shopping, MN does not charge a sales tax on clothing & shoes, which can save some cash. A nice place to do some serious walking for sure. But it was a zoo the last time we were there. I believe it was on a Labor Day Monday. Not the best planning for going, but it was a side trip.

Speaking of zoos, in St. Paul there is a really nice small ZOO. Located in Como Park.

But Lebanon Hills Campground would be the place I would choose to visit the Twin Cities.

However, not sure if the fees are good or not for you:
2010 Fees
Non-refundable reservation fee per site per reservation: $7
Full hook-up—water/electric/sewer (site/night): $30 + tax
Electric only (site/night): $25 + tax
No-hook up tent site (site/night): $17 + tax
Firewood (bundle): $7.00 + tax
Dump Station (non-guests only): $8

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Thanks everyone. I will check them ALL out. I try to avoid those construction areas though so Duluth has been out for this yr. Nancy is right on, I hate sitting in traffic when I could already be at the campground sitting by the camp fire enjoying a nice cool Mt Dew or ?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Do any of the parks still have shower facilities open as of this weekend?
Tom T. American Red Cross
(USAF First Sergeant "Retired")
2008 Scamp 16'
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Check out MN STATE PARKS, then check out SEASONAL UPDATE. Some parks are open through this weekend. Water is only on through Saturday where I am headed tomorrow (Interstate State Park).
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
They are still working on the interstate through Duluth but it is getting much better now, you can easily get through with any kind of camper. Just thought I would update.

Originally Posted by Nancy View Post

That is Two Harbors and Karalyn does *not* want to drive up there for a few years. The I-35 construction through Duluth is going to be a nightmare for 2 or 3 years.

There aren't real good options driving through Duluth and with this I-35 situation I would postpone visiting Duluth and north if you haven't a *lot* of patience and skill driving thorough construction areas. I have never seen such a significant road construction rehab. Add lots of time to your travel plans going through Duluth. One entire side of the interstate is gone and most of the entry and exit ramps are closed. There is only one lane in each direction.

EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote