anybody on east coast wanna travel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hello all you east of the mississippi campers. do you ever envy the folks on the west coast who seem to go everywhere together getting great pictures and having fun at rallies?

having just read about the oregon trip and the bluebonnet rally and the cambria (boy, that's a great place!) trip the west coasters are doing, i realize that there do not seem to be any fun trips planned for the east coast. at least not in the same quantity.

anybody want to go to the beach? assateague island in maryland is fun and i hope it is still pretty empty of crowds. i haven't been there in over thirty (yes, you young'uns 30) years. virginia beach has a great state park campground which used to be full of folks from ontario, canada all summer. virginia is sure warmer than ontario!

any interest? potteralice
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Eastern get togethers do happen. In the past we've had a rally in Kentucky and a campout in near Asheville, NC. The westerners just seem to be demographically more aggressively into camping.

Upcoming events include:
SE - SE Campout in Hiawassee, GA May 19-21
Coastal - The most eastern of all PEI, Canada August
NE - Ausable Point (Peru) NY June 2-16
East of US midpoint - Spring Mill, IN May 12-15

If you want to start off a mid-Atlantic gathering my only suggestion is don't do it in deep winter. Those tend to be poorly attended.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
Oh Sister Scribe you left Bolerama in Emily Provincial Park off your list July 7 8 and 9.
Scamp camp in Letchworth state park
and our little Boondocking Trip to Moose River every November.
Lots of Fun Campouts in the East LOL
Post it and they will come
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Oh Sister Scribe you left Bolerama in Emily Provincial Park off your list July 7 8 and 9.
Scamp camp in Letchworth state park
and our little Boondocking Trip to Moose River every November.
Lots of Fun Campouts in the East LOL
Post it and they will come

the georgia trip is 600 miles away. does this mean that i have to organize the trip or go alone? if so, it won't be today cuz i'm going into d.c. to the cezanne exhibit.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
the georgia trip is 600 miles away. does this mean that i have to organize the trip or go alone? if so, it won't be today cuz i'm going into d.c. to the cezanne exhibit.

It's not difficult to plan a gathering of fiberglass. "Build it and they will come." Actually, ALL you have to do is pick a place and pick a time and post the information on 4 fiberglass forums. That's it! The first time you may only get a couple of trailers, but don't think success is only based on the amount of people/trailers that show up. Success is determined by how much you enjoy yourself.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Hey Potteralice

We took our new to us 2002 FD out for the 1st time since we nought it in January. and we went to Assateague Island MD, stayed at the State Park $30.00 w/o hookups, no reservations needed.

But the Wind off the Ocean was a constant 30+ MPH, with gust even higher. The Dunes are being destroyed there really bad.

I have more experience on the VA side, but it's all National Park, and you can't camp there. But at least it has trees and an area away from the Ocean. I really couldn't believe that we were camping in the Dunes.

I will say that once we chocked the wheels, lowered the back stabilizer bars, and put the 2 I bought under the front end that the wind didn't bother it in the least never shook or anything. The Vent cover would rattle if we had it open too far. And because of the Wind we couldn't keep the Pilot Light lit on the Fridge, although we did manage on the Water tank, cause we took nice hot showers Sunday morning.

I read somewhere about a trick fro the Fridge Pilot light, from the ones that drive down the road with it going. I don't think I could bring myself to do that. But the fix was to cut a Furnace filter to fit the inside of the access door, and attach it so that the Air Flow is headed out and not in. I'm going to try that just to see.
It might be a just incase thing. We're headed out West for 3 Weeks the end of June, so we need to test it out a few more times between now and then.

You're not that far if you want to plan a 3 day weekend somewhere, We'll go if we can.
We're working on a couple of Mods now, one we discovered we needed after our 1st over night trip, and a couple that I've seen done by others, that are easy enough for me to do.

Tom
Tom & Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #7

wow!!! how great it is to find another rver so close!!

my 17' casita is new to me and i still need to learn all about its care and feeding. so glad you were able to stay at assateague. i looked at the nps info and have asked for a brochure. boondocking only, apparently.

i remember that wind!! my kids and i were in a tent on the ocean side. we had a great time but of course it was summer then. even today the ranger on the phone said it is really cold. i turn blue in the cold!

there is a koa campground in harpers ferry if you ever want to visit here. i am getting info on seashore state park in va. it has had a name change to first landing state park but it sounds like it is still the park i remember. maybe we can go somewhere fun and not too far away.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is a great suggestion. Save your gas and have fun at the same time. The Sam's club is having a SamBoree at the Frederick, Maryland fairgrounds on 26-29 May 2006. Go camp, make some friends and I guarantee there will be campers more than happy enough to answer your questions.

If you are not a Good Sam member, you may be able to join the organization there. I remain a member and enjoy their benefits and monthly
publication.

(301) 259-2728
mdgoodsam@hotmail.com

You will save $$ by paying before the 25th of May.

Good luck and good camping. Hope you enjoy and learn. 94.gif
DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
There are a few places in the Jefferson and George Washington NF. Look on the website. They have a few places not far from you where you can camp for free.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/

This may also be helpful.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/rec/rog_campgr...list_level1.htm

look under camping
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #10

Hey Potter

You're in WV, are you familiar with?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/rec/rog_campgr..._campground.htm

It's Seneca Rocks WV. They have a fairly new Campground called Sceneca Shadows. We stayed there once with some friends but back when all we had was a really nice tent.
From their web site, it looks like Loop C has electric at least. I didn't see anything about a dump station.

I do know the area is nice, we've had a couple of family reunions there.

When we took ours out for the 1st time to the beach, I noticed "Sway", and I know traveling through mountains we'd have it too. So we really need to make an appt to have the swaybar attached.

I know you're only about 45 minutes from me, but Sceneca Rocks is about 3.5 to 4 hours in a car, without pulling a trailer, so I don't know you might not want to go that far???

The Good Sams deal sounds like it would be fun, but we're not into camping at a "Fairgrounds", to me anyway that's not "camping". I'm sure I could learn "A Lot" from some of the really nice people that will be there, not that I haven't learned A Lot from this and the other couple of Forums out there, but ours is more of a place to sleep, and is a major step up from a tent, much easier to move. Plus that's Memorial Day Weekend.

This weekend is Mother's Day, even though I don't think we're going to either Moms, but I know that is probably a bad weekend for a lot of people, the 20th is good for us. It can be planned for whenever, we only have weekends between now and 6/3, the following weekend is the weekend before we leave for our 3 Week adventure to Yellowstone, in some big Circle that allows us to see even more!!!.

It doesn't have to be here, it's just a suggestion. All are welcome, and if anyone else has a suggestion for a place let us know.

Andy Thanks for the web sites, I never bothered to search for Monongahela before, I know the area from relatives and passing through that area so much when I was younger, that I feel like I know it. But apparently not as well as I thought.

Tom
Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #11

donna,

post on 4 forums? i only know this one and casita club.

tom, going to michigan next week to pick up a boat i bought on ebay last year. can't take my egg since i have to pull a boat trailer back. so i guess i won't be going to the beach any time soon. hope you guys have a great trip and enjoy your eggventure.

got lots of ideas for places to go but have to work out a time. since i live in a place more like a park than many parks, it is hard to leave here when the weather is as nice as it is right now. but the beach beckons, there is not much better in life than a walk along a sandy beach.

maybe cape hatteras
Old 05-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
donna,

post on 4 forums? i only know this one and casita club.
<snip>
Here's a bunch from the Helpful-Links page: Travel Trailer Groups

I'd suggest (in no particular order).

Bolerama
Casita Forum
Casita Club
YahooScampers

and FiberglassRV OF COURSE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Potteralice - That mention of Cape Hatteras caught my eye. We live in northeastern NC and are down that way at least once a month. If you don't need hookups, I'd suggest the Frisco NPS campground. We had two Scamps and a Burro or U-Haul there over Easter. Let us know when you (or anyone else) are heading that way; it doesn't take much to talk us into a weekend on the OBX.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #14

down there once a month?

WHEN are you going next?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #15

Well we're going to be at Caledonia State Park Pennsylvania, this weekend Friday 5/19 & Sat 5/20. Leaving to come back on Sunday. If anyone is interested.
They weren't booked, seemed to have a lot of spaces to choose from. It's outside of Gettysburg.

Caledonia State Park PA

I screwed up and waited to long to make any reservations for Memorial Day Weekend. So I guess we'll just use that weekend to get the last minute stuff done to the Casita before our BIG trip in June/July.

Tom
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Not sure when we'll get back down there, maybe weekend of June 17. We'll be at the USFS Standing Indian campground (Nantahala NF) over Memorial Day. Too crowded at the coast for us on most holiday weekends. We're only a couple of hours away from the OBX so we don't need to do a lot of planning. The Lost Colony outdoor pageant opens around June 1. Highly recommend it if you've never had the chance to go.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #17

tom & keith,

read the caledonia info posted by park service. i there anything special going on this weekend or are you hikers or fishermen looking for somewhere close? why this particular park. the info posted looks like thousands of other places, what is the attraction?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #18

It's basically just so we can use it. We've only camped in it 1 night. This our 1st time owning a TT, and I'd like to make sure everything is OK with it before we head West for a month.
If something is going to break etc. I'd rather be close to home where I know places to get it fixed, than on the road in the middle of nowhere, where I'm sure they'll see out of state tags and triple the prices.

Plus I'm anxious. We bought it in January, and have only used it one night.

One Forecast is calling for Rain and another isn't, so who to believe. We're going either way.

Tom
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
Also looking for a rally or small gathering this summer in the NC, Virgina-South Carolina area on the eastern end. What happened to the ones that promised to organize another Smoky Mountain Rally? So much for assigning a committee!! We are thinking about one in late September in the Mount Pilot area but would not want to have to wait till then.
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
Hi Potteralice!

Count me in for a trip to Cape Hatteras, never been and my MKP mods should be done soon!
I'm looking for a place to go August 15-19 with the new and improved Roly-poly, let me know if I can help organize a get-together.
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote