Arches National Park 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Arches National Park 2017

I have been thinking about another trip to Utah and Arches some time soon. I was checking on the web and found out that Devils Garden campground will be closed spring thru fall of 2017 for road work. I just wanted to give everyone a "heads up". Arches is one of my favorite parks and I want to see it again but 2017 will not be the year to visit. It would not surprise me that the passenger car access to the park be very discouraged or limited just like it is at Zion and Brice. If I don't go this fall, it will not be until 2018.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are numerous BLM campgrounds along route 128 just north of Moab. Many have sites right on the river. Pit toilets. No water. You can spend hours viewing the canyon walls. And unlike the campground in Arches, they allow dogs Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
There are numerous BLM campgrounds along route 128 just north of Moab. Many have sites right on the river. Pit toilets. No water. You can spend hours viewing the canyon walls. And unlike the campground in Arches, they allow dogs Raz
The BLM campgrounds along 128 are fabulous. Dewey Bridge, Goose Island, Hittle Bottom and Gold Bar were all very enjoyable but to me there is something very special about Devils Garden, especially at sunrise and sunset.

When I stayed at Devils Garden, my dog was with me and there were numerous other dogs in the campground. Dogs must be on leash and only on roads or parking areas, but they are allowed with these limitations.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
When I stayed at Devils Garden, my dog was with me and there were numerous other dogs in the campground. Dogs must be on leash and only on roads or parking areas, but they are allowed with these limitations.
It's been some time since I was there. Perhaps it's the trail restrictions I recall. As a rule I find national parks are not very pet friendly. When you were there did you have a reservation and if so, how long in advance did you have to make it? Raz
Old 02-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We have been to Arches three times, but it was before we started Scamping and we stayed in town. Since you have to drive to see places within the park anyway, I would not mind camping outside and make day trips. Having a beautiful campsite is great, but not absolutely essential here.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Washington
I have stayed in full service campgrounds in Moab for access to power, water and showers and had a nice time but I personally enjoyed the time at Devils Garden to be the best. My dog has been with me at numerous National Parks with absolutely no issues. I would not call National Parks "pet friendly" but I certainly would not call them pet unfriendly either.

Devils Garden only has about 50 camp sites in total, and only about a dozen or so will work well for a trailer like ours. Many of the sites will only work for tents. If you want a reservation at Devils Garden you need to book it 6 months in advance. This campground fills up real fast. The campground is 18 miles from the entrance to the park, so it's quiet. Early morning and late evening are very quiet times with spectacular scenery.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I spent a couple of days at Devil's Garden this past September. We had no reservations, just drove in and stopped at the Host's cabin. She had a cancellation, so we moved right in. It was a tent sight, but that's what we wanted. All signs and the staff at the Visitor Center said it was full. Pays to check "at the source".

Surprisingly fun time at Arches. The day hike trails were quite challenging for day hiker trails, most are usually quite tame in comparison. Highly recommended.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you need electric, but don't want a commercial campground, check the availability of sites at Dead Horse Point State Park. Electric only sites, no water at the campground so fill your tank in Moab, but the views from the park and some sites are amazing. There are a few first come sites, but they fill early. A bit of a drive to Arches, but well suited if you want to explore the park, Canyonlands & Arches.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I'll second that... Dead Horse State Park and Gold Bar BLM: absolutely.
Attached Thumbnails
DeadHorse.jpg   GoldBarBLM.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
....so fill your tank in Moab.....
On our first visit we found water at the park on the corner of rt 191 and rt 128. Last trip that source was gone. Jon, do you recall where you got water in Moab? Raz
Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
I'll second that... Dead Horse State Park and Gold Bar BLM: absolutely.
Yes and if you go from Gold Bar BLM to Dead Horse SP via Long Canyon it is an incredible trip. Don't take your [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3703.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	92378[/ATTACH]trailer into Long Canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3699.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
On our first visit we found water at the park on the corner of rt 191 and rt 128. Last trip that source was gone. Jon, do you recall where you got water in Moab? Raz
You can dump and get water at Farm & City at 850 S Main in Moab. $5 and was available 24 hours a day. Easy in and out and a honor system cash box. www.discovermoab.com lists other options
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Is there an app or a source for finding water and/or dump stations?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Station, Dump Points comprehensive directory is what I rely on.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #15

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Thank you!
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
You can dump and get water at Farm & City at 850 S Main in Moab. $5 and was available 24 hours a day. Easy in and out and a honor system cash box. www.discovermoab.com lists other options
Good info. Thank you, Raz
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #17

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
APP

RV DUMP STATION google it
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #18

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Most gas stations in Moab provide free water. Not sure how long that will last, but I filled my water over and over last spring at one gas station right downtown, and one just outside of town to the south. I could probably find which gas stations they are if I spend some time...

It's actually pretty easy to get free water in Moab, but the RV parks won't mention that when they're charging you
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote