Arches NP in January? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Arches NP in January?

Has anyone gone to Arches in January? Where did you camp? Did you winterize or were the temperatures okay?
We’re starting to think about it and would love tips from anyone who has gone.
Thanks!
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We have been all over UT in January, you have to get real lucky in January. High elevations like Bryce Canyon are out.

We stayed at Snow Canyon SP in St George last February. January and February are the perfect time to visit Zion IMHO. Even there, you may need to winterize, it really depends on the weather. They had snow in St George the week before we arrived. Its typically dry in St George, so the snow is not going to stick around.

Average low temperature in January for Moab is 20F. Average low in St George is 31F. Big difference!

I70 west of Moab goes as high as 7,900 feet elevation. Moab is at 4,000 feet, and St George is at 2,900 feet. So you are likely going to see cold weather on I70. If 4,000 feet is a low of 20F, then 7,900 feet is going to be more like 10F or lower.

My advice, unless you get super lucky temperature wise, I would not plan on Moab.

You are lucky to be coming from California. Coming from NC, I had to really be careful on routing. Ended up taking I10 all the way from Mobile to Phoenix. Route home in early March we hit another cold spell. Amarillo, TX was 15F, I was hoping to take I40 home but it didn't work out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would love to visit Arches in January, or even better, be there to celebrate New Years Eve. I've been there in May and October when the weather was nicer, but January with the possibility of snow sounds great. I grew up in Chicago, and worked all over Alaska, so I have learned to deal with the cold.

I have stayed in Devils Garden both times, and would do so again. The scenery in the campground is spectacular. Devils Garden has no hookups but I would stay there again in winter. Below freezing and snow are normal here this time of year. Zion-Watchman is also incredible and has power hookups d would also be on my agenda. I would also make reservations in both places.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
We were in Zion in 2017 for New Years. It was lovely to have hook ups. Part of the campground was closed and they do not make reservations (for either park) this time of year. It was actually hard to find a spot because of the closures. We didn't have snow.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I live in Layton Ut. 25 miles north of Salt Lake city. 4800 feet elev.. I go to Moab in Jan. or Feb. often with a bike or day bag. our temps are almost identical throughout the winter. Usually 30+ degrees. June 1st is the cut off date to go to Moab or Canyonlands NP.. Too hot. Riding a bike on the slick rock or the trails can be done easily in Jan. Bike clothes, often no jacket. Jan. is one of the most popular times to go to Moab for the bike riders. I stay at dead horse point state or Fed. camp grounds, leave your furnace to come on. Showers are available in down town Moab. Snow mixed into the arches are the greatest views. coming to Moab, in Jan. can be extreme snow conditions throughout the state. Moab is in the desert and snow does not stay very long. coming up I-15. to I-70 could be blizzard conditions, the freeway, it can look like a disaster; get to Arches and it is open, in the sun. A foot of snow falls, is gone by the late afternoon. I love Moab and Canyonlands in the winter. Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote