Arctic Journey: Inuvik, Northwest Territories - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Arctic Journey: Inuvik, Northwest Territories

Just returned with Ruby Tuesday after a 3 month, 12,700 km (7890 mi.) road trip to the end of the road in Inuvik which included 800 km (500 mi.) of gravel each way on the Dempster Highway. Plus lots of other side trips via gravel roads. Towing my 2004 Trillium Outback (13 ft.) with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. 4 WD with Access Cab.

In mid May we caught the ferry off-island, stopped at the BC Fiberglass meet at Fort Langley for a couple of days and then headed North. Late August we made it back to the Island, more or less in one piece.

We, my long-time travelling partner and I, had been planning this trip for a couple of years, long distance, as he lives in England. This was our 4th road trip together in the last 5 years but the first with the Trillium.
Preparation involved, long Skype sessions, and multiple lists before we finally got on the road.

Preparations included a check of all the running gear on both the truck and trailer; propane check; load test batteries; R&R of one window in the trailer that had been installed upside down and leaked; restrung the cordage on the Venetian blinds; new spigot on water tank drain; installed shelves in the hanging locker.

The 3 shelves were covered with non-skid material. For containment, I found some black plastic-coated wire baskets in Staples that fit on the 3 shelves. There was enough room on one side of each shelf/basket for other food items. To keep everything in place I added a front strip to each shelf with a 1/2" lip to keep everything in place. This system worked very well regardless of the type of road we were on.

Two new sets of tires - 6 ply for the trailer and 10 ply for the truck: Marathons & Nokian Rotiva Plus respectively. Two steel wheels for extra set of spare tires for truck and trailer. Set of removable towing mirrors - these were hard to find for the Tacoma.

Preventive service for the truck: replace all hoses, belts, thermostat, plugs, filters, fluids plus new front brakes and windshield wiper blades.

Other purchases included: replacement 25A converter (8700 WFCO);larger 2lb B &C fire extinguisher and bracket for trailer; hitch receiver lock; pair of axle stands; interior LED bulbs; portable solar lights; canvas tonneau cover; instant up screen tent; silicone tarp;12V shower pump/hose; pop-up privacy shelter for showers; small compressor; battery tender 1.25 A; folding aluminum table; 120W portable solar panel and new unbreakable dishes and glasses, both plastic and stainless steel; upgraded automobile association membership to cover RV towing.

In the cupboard above the locker is where I keep my pots and pans. There I soon discovered I should have put some sort of protection between the pots and the non-stick frypan. The non-stick was worn from the vibration of the pots on top. Another piece of non-skid would have been ideal, but a face cloth sufficed.

There were a few items that I wished we had:

- luggage scales - to weigh the 20 lb. propane tank (38 lbs. full)
- hand grinder - for coffee beans; only had electric
- wide mouth Nalgene bottles - these do not leak!
- squeegee - good quality, thin bladed
- different lengths of cable ties - aka zip straps - fasten tow mirrors
- screen door for trailer
- more underwear - couldn't find anywhere to purchase in Jasper!
- more rags!

Things I wished I hadn't bothered taking:
- wheel for swivel jack stand
- 5 gallon buckets - only used 2 out of 3
- tarp clips - wouldn't hold in any wind
- 12V misting fan - it did get hot but it didn't put out enough air.

I'd like to write more about this trip, including photos, if anyone here is interested?
Trip of a lifetime! Thanks for reading, feedback, questions, welcome.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I always enjoy living through others postings & pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
I'd like to write more about this trip, including photos, if anyone here is interested?
Trip of a lifetime! Thanks for reading, feedback, questions, welcome.
Of course I would!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Please tell more!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I'm sure interested. Sounds like quite an adventure you all had. Pictures too please.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Would love to hear more (and as others stated - share pictures)
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
don`t stop now , just keep going
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
A few years back, we truck-camped from Ontario to Whitehorse and then back east across the northern states. Would have loved to have gone on to Inuvik . . Perhaps we'll get there too. Please share more of your adventure.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
It sounds like quite an adventure! Also sounds like you went well prepared. Yes, please post some pictures with a little description about each one as to where it was and what you saw there, learned there, liked or didn't like about it, etc. Also tell us about any difficulties you encountered and what were the highlights of the trip. I'm sure lots of us would like to hear more about your trip.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
More please, sounds like an amazing trip and I love your details already
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
must be a Courtenay "thing"....LOL

first that was an epic trip....and then some...would love to read/see more about it.....

I had to laugh though when I clicked on your registry and found out we live in the same town !!!!....and THEN I realized your registry is real long and has tons of pictures.....like mine......so it must be a "Courtenay thing"....Regards, F
Attached Thumbnails
google.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Looking forward to talking with you at the Bolerama. We will show you our tow mirrors that work well on the Tacoma and never moved.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: currently shopping
Wisconsin
Please tell us more and photos would be great too!
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

Name: Sam
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Dempster Travel

Would love to hear more of your experiences traveling the Dempster. My wife and I spent several days in Tombstone Territorial Park just a year ago, then took Top of World Highway to Alaska. Back home to Wisconsin, trip of a lifetime is a good description. We took 6 weeks, mid August to end of Sept - colors were gorgeous. We pulled a 13 ft Scamp with Highlander. I loved Yukon, and am talking about going again in 2018 when the highway from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk is finished.

Hope to hear more of your experiences!

Sam
samboholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
scf

Name: Steve
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16
British Columbia
Way to go Barb! We can hardly wait to hear the wheeling details! See you after we return from our own trip. Steve & Wendie
scf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
The Dempster Highway

in June of 2004 we left Crystal Lake Il in our Bigfoot 21 towed with our '02 Tahoe.
destination Alaska.
on the way we took a side trip on the Dempster. We however did not prepare for the crushed slate road, it eats tires.
Got above the Arctic Circle camped in a great little spot. already had two flats on the truck. Decided to call it quits. started return trip next day with another slow leak. Had two more flats on the truck and one on the Bigfoot. total five flats on the truck and camper.
Everything turns black from the slate road.
It really taught us how to batten down anything which could possibly move.

What an incredible trip, my wife and I will never forget it. We loved every minute. Did flyfish while waiting to get flats fixed, caught a couple of small Graylings. Got up to see the midnight Sun and wolf prints in the hardened mud as big as dinner plates, thank God it was daylight 24 hours.

i'm sure anyone whose made the trip will never forget it.
whip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
We lived in Inuvik {place of man} from 1972 to 1976. Stationed at the Naval Radio Station [HMCS Inuvik].
Worked part time at CBC radio, CHAK [the AK is a holdover from Aklavik{place of the bear}. Inuvik was built to replace Aklavik when it was predicted that it would sink into the MacKenzie River, but it's still there. I also volunteered with Scouts and Cubs.
It will be nice to get a [vicarious] visit through your lens..... Thanks.....
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Definitely more more please!!
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote