Asheville, NC Recommendation - October - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Having stayed at Lake Powhatan, Davidson River (Brevard) and Mama Gerties our favorite is Davidson River. That said it is 30 minutes out of Asheville, depending where in Asheville you want to go.

Mama Gerties is the only private campground I have ever liked. It is "hilly as hell" and has small sites. They put you on a site based on your length and you get nothing extra. For a premium you can camp on the mountain top, beautiful views. If you are winded by the walk down the hill to the shower you can use their hotline to call for a cart ride back to your site.

Lake Powhatan will meet your needs, if you have a "geezer pass" the camping is half price, but not the electric. Showers are adequate. Davidson River has just such a different vibe, I never met campground hosts (I talked with 4 of the 6) that were so positive and worked so hard. The place has a culture of its own.

Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
Name: bill
Trailer: 1996 Casita LD
North Carolina
Given your comments thus far, I would recommend Wilsons. Its not world class for sure, but it is on the French Broad river, adjacent to Carrier Park (nice), and near the River Arts District, which is where the New Belgium Brewery is located. Sierra Nevada Brewery is a much see, its in Fletcher, so figure a car drive to that one.

I live west of Asheville. October is PRIME TIME, expect camping to be crowded (full). So plan ahead.

Once you start camping out a ways, I would recommend Maggie Valley. There are several campgrounds there. But you will be 30 to 40 minutes from downtown Asheville. I live in downtown Waynesville, we have several microbreweries here too. Boojums is the best. Very nice restaurant too. Microbreweries are opening up all over western NC right now. But the Asheville brewery scene tops them all.

Be sure to stop at the "Vortex", and get a donut (or two). They are very close to several microbreweries, and worth a stop. If you go, don't be surprised if you end up going back a time or two.

Wilsons is adjacent to I-240, so plan on road noise. Bear Creek Campground is your other choice. Bear Creek is pretty close in, maybe a mile from Wilsons. Neither of them gets stellar reviews.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote