Assateague Island National Seashore, Maryland - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseinMaine View Post
Thanks for the information McBrew! This is good to know. LOL..I live in Maine..the mosquito's would have to be REALLY bad to bother me very much. If we get there this summer I'll remember the "ocean" side of the park! I'll also post pics. I've always wanted to go there. I've read all of the Margarite Henry books too, as well as being a life long horse owner. I can't wait to see it!
Thanks Again! Denise
Definitely a summer time reservation place. There are not a lot of ocean side sits in the national seashore.

Norm

Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #16

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13' (California-made)
Vermont
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hello, it's ten-year-old-me again!

I'm getting greener with envy with every new post from those of you who've been there...

Of course, I think I've imagined the setting pretty well from the books. It's hard to be sure, though....It'd sure be nice if somebody posted some pictures of the actual horses...and some more landscape pics...I'm 3,000 miles away and probably won't be getting Back East anytime soon to see for myself...here's me being really sad about that:

HINT...HINT...HINT

Francesca
Hi Francesca,

With luck you should be seeing a couple of pix of the wild ponies. We had the whole campground practically to ourselves in October of '07. So good!

Now we're just a-waiting for planting to be done so we can head on down the road with the Trillium trailing happily behind

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
WildPony1.jpg   WildPony2.jpg  

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now, in addition to the facilities at the northern/Maryland end of Assateague Island - the national seashore and the state park, there is camping available on the southern/Virginia end. There are some campgrounds in the town of Chincoteague, the companion island to Assateague, and next door to the town is the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, which is an outstanding place for viewing wildlife of all types thanks to a nice combination of freshwater impoundment, forest, and saltwater stuff.

About the ponies v horses question, I stick with the letter of the law on horse size. Under 14.2 hands = pony, over = horse, no matter the breed. So I always argue with signage that refers to these little things as horses. The signs never fight back, though.

Photos you say?

From the north end:

A white-tailed fawn

From the wildlife refuge:

the endangered (due to deforestation) Delmarva fox squirrel

river otter in the freshwater impoundment

willets on the beach

The sika are pretty cute. They ended up there because an irresponsible boy scout troop at the turn of the 20th century turned their petting zoo occupants loose on the island. Now they're a managed herd, but subject to some hunting unlike the ponies.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #18

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
And there are always lots of birds

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #19

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Wow
Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Maggie and Jen: Both So-o-o-o much for the bee-yoo-tee-ful pictures...I'm clicking on "favorites" right this minute...
and...
can it be?

LOOK!! It's MISTY! (of Assateague )

Thanks again!

Francesca
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're going to Assateauge, there are a lot of good state parks all along the Delmarva penisula. If you're a birder, Virginia's Kiptopeke State Park, just after the end of the Bay Bridge is known as a special place for birders. Kiptopeke is a full service state park with cable. Don't get sewer and it's less though every site has sewer.

Our first trip south, actually the beginning of our first year RVing, took us 18 weeks to get from NH to FL. A good part of our time was spent on the Delmarva penisula, camping at the many wonderful state parks. Just a little north of Kitopeke is an Exxon station that is a local place to eat as well, named Sting Rays.

Safe Travels,

Norm