B.C. 16 and 97 ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi,

Any suggestions on things to do and places to stop on our route. Will be going from Jasper to Prince Rupert and returning from Prince Rupert to Vancouver. What part of this drive do I want to slow down to smell the roses, and what part do we drive right past?

Going south on 97 should we go west and do the Sea to Sky hwy or should we go east and come into Washington at Lynden area?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hi,

Any suggestions on things to do and places to stop on our route. Will be going from Jasper to Prince Rupert and returning from Prince Rupert to Vancouver. What part of this drive do I want to slow down to smell the roses, and what part do we drive right past?

Going south on 97 should we go west and do the Sea to Sky hwy or should we go east and come into Washington at Lynden area?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nancy
Driving the Sea to Sky can be a zoo so unless you have a big desire to see Whistler and Van couver, I'd go the eastern route back to Kamloops and down Highway 1 through Hell's Canyon. The scenery is amazing, unless heights are a problem for the driver. If you're doing this in the summer, though, you might be forced to enjoy good gas mileage because the pace of travel will be pretty slow. But whatever way you go, there are a lot of delights to see, lots of small towns and parks to enjoy. I was amazed to learn a few years ago that there is more parkland in British Columbia than in the entire lower 48 States combined.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
You're going to have a great time!

We've driven between Jasper and Rupert often.

Camp at McBride on the way in, on the Fraser. There is an excellent Greek restaurant, try the Moussaka.

The only "boring" part is between McBride and Prince George. There are many stretches where you don't even see telephone wires along the road, only bears and moose and foxes and owls. Dusk is the best time to see hungry animals along the Hwy 16.

Vanderhoof Museum: you might want to time your visit for a meal, the museum cafe features wonderful baking. Take a whole pie (or two!) to go.

Burns Lake: if you have the time, make a side trip to the "Southside". You drive south of Burns for about half an hour, take a small (free) ferry across the river. Coming off the ferry, you go straight up a long long hill to rolling countryside and small horse farms and many lakes full of fish. Camping at Ootsa Lake is free.

On the east side of Terrace, Kleanza Creek is perfect for a hot day: all spots have shade, and half are along the extremely refreshing creek.

In and around Terrace: I know many boondocks, and can tell you about regular campgrounds, pm me for details.

In between Terrace and Rupert, I will tell you our favourite free camping spots -- if you bring me a cherry pie from Vanderhoof! No, on second thought, they're best fresh, and you'll polish it off before you hit Burns Lake.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #4

Wonderful information. We will skip the Sea to Sky. We will eat Greek and pie (somehow fitting this into 1200 cal day).

Thanks so much for the ideas. Had no idea the McBride area would be a good stopover spot.

Now I am really starting to get excited.

Nancy
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Nancy,

Good idea not to do the Sea to Sky pulling your trailer. I was sitting having an ice cream thinking about spending the night at a campground on 97 where the Sea to Sky comes in. Let me tell you the people in motorhomes and pulling trailers had to be pryed from their steering wheels. I heard all kinds of stories about how steep and winding it is. Now, these people could have all been flatlanders and any curve may have been sharp to them as well as any tilt of the land might cause them fits.

Any way, on your way out to Prince Rupert just past Smithers as you enter Moricetown on your right you will see Natives fishing for salmon in a gorge. They used to do it with graf's but now use nets. Any way, it's interesting and a nice spot for lunch.

Terrace has a WalMart, we spent the night there.

Say, if you have the time you should go north further. Head north out of Jasper to Grand Prairie and the to Dawson Creek, the start of the Alaskan highway. From there head out on 97 up to Watson Lake. Turn south on the Cassiar highway which brings you into the Yellowhead highway 16, just east of Terrace. Go west to Prince Rupert, then head back east on 16 to Prince George, south on 97 to Highway 1 and Vancouver. That way you won't be retracing your route out to Prince Rupert and back. The Alaskan highway is great to Watson Lake and you'd only be adding the length of the Cassair mileage wise.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #6

Thanks Joy for the information.

We will be doing too many miles to go north of Jasper and that part of the Yellowhead we will only be on once anyway. The repeat part will be the western section.

Good to know more about the Sea to Sky. Would be just like us to hit it at the end of a very long day of driving and not be too sharp. We will go the other way. Maybe we will come back and do a loop around that area another year.

Also good to know there is a WalMart in Terrace in case we hit Terrace at the end of one of our grueling days.

I've printed off lots of pages about campgrounds on the parts of the highways we will be on, but I think there must be a lot missing. Looked for information on the McBride campground that Charlynn mentioned but only found RV type places in McBride.

Glad we don't need reservations at WalMart. We have had to overnight there more than we like. Some day we will cut down our driving time like you do.

Nancy