Back From WY!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #29

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Melissa,

I don't think they ever did teach about reservations. How many of us really know about this level of poverty and misery in this country? You hear about Haiti and Africa, but how many of us have heard about people in our own backyard who put their children to bed hungry two weeks of the month when they have no money and government cheese has run out? Indigenous peoples in school are the cute little ones you see at Thanksgiving and the ones you see shaking Columbus' hand on Columbus Day. Schools (and I speak as a faculty member who trains teachers) are only now beginning to downplay Columbus, because the same hand he shook when he first got here, he enslaved the following year. They don't necessarily teach that information to the little ones, but they are backing off holding Columbus up as a shining star. Some are starting to teach Thanksgiving truthfully too, but I haven't heard of any teaching that the same Puritans who ate with Massasoit's people, cut off the head of his son and put it on a pike for 20 years.

Sorry, I am done now. I won't post further on this. This forum is not for this. It is just that 5 years of going out there and seeing the results turns you into an advocate (and, in the case of Kevin and me, owners of our first fiberglassrv camper )

CindyL

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #30

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We also got back from a 6000 mile vaca.
Yellowstone, Bad Lands, Black Hills are a wonder to see and well worth the trip.

Deadwood: Looked like there was slot machines in the front windows of most of the places on main street.

South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Kansas: we both can say, we never saw so much of nothing in our life. Nothing as far as the eye can see. No wonder you can buy so many acres in Wyoming for little to nothing compared to land in the East. Sure would hate to drive home from town only to be reminded that I forgot the milk.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #31

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
We also got back from a 6000 mile vaca.
Yellowstone, Bad Lands, Black Hills are a wonder to see and well worth the trip.

Deadwood: Looked like there was slot machines in the front windows of most of the places on main street.

South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Kansas: we both can say, we never saw so much of nothing in our life. Nothing as far as the eye can see. No wonder you can buy so many acres in Wyoming for little to nothing compared to land in the East. Sure would hate to drive home from town only to be reminded that I forgot the milk.
Hehe I was kind of thinking the same as I went through Idaho, Wyoming and Montrana a few weeks back.

Nothing like a road trip to open your eyes up as to the reality of life outside our own area. What hit me hard was passing through so many small towns that were totally boarded up and every property for miles on either side was up for sale.....
Or larger towns where it was clear that things were not good - lots of bad roads, parks needing care, closed shops and again for sale signs everwhere. I read a lot of news so I know before I went that things were tough South of me but I had no idea how tough until I saw it first hand..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #32

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Speeking of closed shops: What happened to Stuckies? Use to be everywhere now abanded.