Been turned away due to your egg camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

If the campground really was full, why ask the length of my RV?
I have been asked the length and been told no sometimes and yes others. For example some of the State parks have tent sites they may let you use for a trailer if your 16' or something less. Other campgrounds may have a section where if the overall length of your rig and trailer is less than x many feet you can use the site - if over what ever the combo length is its a no go as you would not be able to actually get into the site.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Accommodations

The only time we were turned away was when phoning from my cousin's in Green Valley, AZ up to Phoenix. We were too honest in describing our rig and were turned away from several.
So we stopped phoning. Now we arrive cold. We like to stay at Passport America member parks because of the 50% discount. Often the greeting person will remark how 'cute' our rig is.
In Casa Grande, AZ, Fiesta Grande would only give us 25%. We asked if they had spots open and they said they did. As we drove off we said to each other, well they still do!
So we went to their sister park, Casita Verde, and they gave us the full 50%.
Lately with the economy the way it is, some parks are smart and rather have a spot earning them 50% than 0%. LOL
Some small parks are happy to see a small rig because, "We have just the spot to place you." and we stay in a spot that we barely fit in.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I LOVE your comment. I often wonder why people in MEGA Motorhomes go camping in the first place. You never see them outside.

Also I would rather boondock camp in the woods, then a RV parking lot with all the generators running so they can watch tv with the fireplace on and the microwave and all the kids video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I don't know it can be fun to fire up the camp stove on the picnic table to make coffee and cook breakfast over a fire while surrounded by frightened faces peering out of mega motorhome windows wondering what barbarism will I pull next?

OMG he is doing dishes AND feeding his dog OUTSIDE!
Sometimes I don't think they even notice I'm not wearing pants
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #24

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well more then one of my tent camping friends loves to remind me that I am not "camping" since I have a camper. I beg to differ since I do all the same activities as they do during the day outside stuff, just at night I get to sleep in a real bed (have a lumbar vertebrate fused so the real bed kind of lets me sleep much better and with less pain then an air mattress that eventually leaks during the night).

To each their own...but I also prefer boondocking then being in a campground with people all around me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #25

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Wow! Amazing stories. Both Gail & I were avid tent campers for close to 40 years, but like Deryk, our backs crapped out on us. I still live in the outdoors when we camp. The trailer is a bed and a convenient place to hit the head in the middle of the night.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Well more then one of my tent camping friends loves to remind me that I am not "camping" since I have a camper. I beg to differ since I do all the same activities as they do during the day outside stuff, just at night I get to sleep in a real bed (have a lumbar vertebrate fused so the real bed kind of lets me sleep much better and with less pain then an air mattress that eventually leaks during the night).

To each their own...but I also prefer boondocking then being in a campground with people all around me.
Many FGRV owners use their eggs as a hard sided tent, still doing most of their cooking and daytime activities outside. Mostly just avoids having to pack the car with gear since it is all stored in the camper. And avoids sleeping on the ground.

All I can say if you can go "camping" all summer and not have a campfire is it really camping? No offense to those that full time or do extensive travels with many of the home amenities not typically associated with camping.

Frankly if anyone ever said I don't "really" camp since I use a camper, I would invite them to meet me in the Huron National forest in January with a tarp and a sleeping bag, leave the "sissy" tent at home. My back may not be happy but I know that I can camp like that and be fairly comfortable, and would love to find out how they do.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I can't call it a weekend without fire. Unless it is lower then -20°C, (-4°F).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #28

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
David--I'm with you. Gotta have a fire...unless it's pouring rain. We consider ourselves camping, even though we have a trailer, because we still cook outdoors, rarely hook up to either water or power and mainly just sleep in the trailer.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I kinda laff when I read these kind of threads. Everyone feels like they're being picked on. You're not. Welcome to discrimation. It's occured for centuries. Some folks, genders, cultures know about it. NOW you have a particular size, brand trailer and are feeling excluded.

I belong to a Ford hotrod group. We love ALL brands of old trucks. But folks driving Chevys/Dodges... kinda feel... not part of the group. It happens. Move on....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good one Donna. Years ago I was in a car club and when someone came up and told any one in our club they had a XXXXX brand I think the standard answer was "I'm sorry"
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Who do you think felt left out?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	79156
And which rig do you think had the most tours....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #32
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have been asked the length and been told no sometimes and yes others. For example some of the State parks have tent sites they may let you use for a trailer if your 16' or something less. Other campgrounds may have a section where if the overall length of your rig and trailer is less than x many feet you can use the site - if over what ever the combo length is its a no go as you would not be able to actually get into the site.
That KOA in Glenwood Spring, Colorado didn't ask me how long the total rig was (we did make it over Independence Pass the next day; there's a 35' limit on using that road, and we were well shy of it). They just didn't want us coming in there in a dinky trailer. I wouldn't've cared but we really needed a place to stay for the night; it was getting late.

I think at RV World in Rawlins, Wyoming we could've sold our Casita on the spot: the guys running that place loved it and said they are very popular with people around there.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #33

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
hmmm, when it is just me I never have a campfire. I don't eat much so its not a big deal. When I am with a group of people its a different story but when I head out alone I usually am staring up at the stars!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Sometimes I don't think they even notice I'm not wearing pants
I must warn you that such lewd behaviour is grounds for being permanently banned here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
For example some of the State parks have tent sites they may let you use for a trailer if your 16' or something less.
I have stayed in a couple of these with my 19' trailer. Most tents sites I have seen in State Parks, and many Provincial Parks, are plenty big, they just don't have any services, and I am fine with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I LOVE your comment. I often wonder why people in MEGA Motorhomes go camping in the first place. You never see them outside.
I don't understand it either, but one can't really knock them, as they seem for the most part to be doing something they are enjoying.
Quote:
Many FGRV owners use their eggs as a hard sided tent, still doing most of their cooking and daytime activities outside. Mostly just avoids having to pack the car with gear since it is all stored in the camper. And avoids sleeping on the ground.
To a large degree this is us. I really enjoy the experience of cooking, eating and any other chores, being done outside, if possible. I have even seen folks in smaller units holed up inside a lot. I much prefer spending time in the 'living room'.
Quote:
All I can say if you can go "camping" all summer and not have a campfire is it really camping? No offense to those that full time or do extensive travels with many of the home amenities not typically associated with camping.
I totally agree, and almost always have a fire, unless they don't allow them. To me, this is very much a big part of camping. For some reason, my singing and guitar playing sounds better around a campfire too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
David--I'm with you. Gotta have a fire...unless it's pouring rain.
We usually have a fire, even if it is raining. It takes little time to put up a tarp. Often we put up two 12x20 tarps peaked in the middle, to accommodate a good crowd. No rain is going to stop us from having fun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The fact that I get the wood for free helps. I work in an industrial area of Calgary. There are a number of manufactures that have a free wood bin at their gate. Used dunnage. Engineered Air has subsidized most of my fires.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote