Best Beaches to camp at/near? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Best Beaches to camp at/near?

Was looking at this list of Trip Advisors best beaches to visit: Best Beaches in the United States - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

I've been camping at Hunting Island and we enjoyed it. (Though I'd camp closer to the beach next time to avoid the skeeters.) Wondered about what people thought were the best beaches to camp at/near? Any of these places make the top of your list?

(if I could find a way to take my camper to Hawaii...)
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Good question I'd like to know as well. we're going to "camping on the Gulf" in Destin this spring. I've heard its great! Beach front sites.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Sean---We have camped at/near St. Augustine in Florida, the beaches of St. Pete's, Clearwater and Pensacola all in Florida. We like them all. Friends have a park model near Siesta Key but they cannot get near to it on weekends, as the traffic is horrendous.
We haven't found a beach in Florida that wasn't great. Also, we've spent time at Hunting Island and Folly beaches in South Carolina as well as at Myrtle Beach.
All that said, our personal favourite for actual camping nearby is Myrtle Beach. I am not talking about the actual beach here....but camping. We have enjoyed 5 trips of between 1-2 weeks at this state park and it's proximity to the beach and fishing pier can't be beat. Everyone has their own pros/cons for their favourite spots and this is one of ours. YMMV

But I personally don't think you can go wrong with ANY beach in Florida. Just my opinion.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Every year we spend a few days at Huntington Beach State Park and Hunting Island State Park, both in SC. This is on our way to and from Jekyll Island GA where we spend the winter. Jekyll has about 7 miles of beach. Small packed in tight campground, but the island is unique. We liked Henderson Beach in the Florida panhandle, Fort Clinch on the east coast. Sebastian Inlet FL is OK and lots of beach near Fort DeSoto but had to drive a few miles out of the campground for the beach.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Having practically grown up in MB, I'm quite familiar with the area and love it. The area is very dear to my heart and I have a ton of family around there. I tend to lean towards Huntington Beach on the south end since it's quieter than the north end. Not that MB SP is bad. I spent my fair share of time cruising the Boulevard in my teens. I'm just allergic to crowds and traffic now (part of growing up in Atlanta too).

We have yet to camp in FL. I'll have to remedy that.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I don't know how good the beach is at Galveston TX, but one camp there as much as desired for a $10 annual permit. Well, a cheap beach is a good beach, right?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I vote for any of the Oregon coast State Parks. Oregon beaches have incredible public access and there are any number of beautiful campgrounds that take full advantage of that fact. I really like Beverly Beach SP and Harris Beach SP. It was interesting to me, in looking at the TripAdvisor list, that almost all of the beaches are sunny tropical ones with mostly flat sandy shorelines. I prefer wilder, more rugged shorelines with lots of big rocks and tide-pools to explore.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
So many beaches... In Destin we like Henderson Beach State Park, unbelievable sand. Along the west coast of Florida, Fort Desoto County Park is unique with a whole island.

In Oregon we like Cape Blanco state park near Port Orford, amazing cliffs with miles of deserted sand beaches.

There are so many beaches... SC, NC and FL are just loaded with them. Personally I like the more deserted beaches.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Henderson Beach State Park: Pets are allowed in family camping areas overnight. BUT: Pets are not allowed on the beach. This is the reason we don't camp on the Gulf. For pet owners this is a huge buzz kill. I can understand cleaning up after your pet; as we always do but not to allow them on the beaches period. I just don't agree with that.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

Florida
We live at the beach in NH and during pets are not allowed on the beach during the daytime hours during the summer months, laws often ignored at least at our end of the beach.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #11

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Henderson Beach State Park: Pets are allowed in family camping areas overnight. BUT: Pets are not allowed on the beach. This is the reason we don't camp on the Gulf. For pet owners this is a huge buzz kill. I can understand cleaning up after your pet; as we always do but not to allow them on the beaches period. I just don't agree with that.

I have a pet pass so I take my dog to the beach in Walton county, Destin. Although I usually avoid taking him when it's crowded. Usually late in the afternoon for a round of frisbee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
One of the main reasons we started full timing was so that I could be near my beloved beaches. In our 4 months traveling we have been to some great spots, many mentioned in the posts above. I still have not been able to find the "perfect" beach side site, but have loved the many places we've stayed. The "no dogs on beach" rules in Florida are problematic for us, but there are several websites that can help travelers find dog-friendly beaches and restaurants.
Life's a beach!
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: scamp fiver
Missouri
South Parde Is. Tx. You can dry camp on the beach. A KOA and another RV Park there also. KOA is very proud of their prices, you could rent a condo for less. Agreat place to be for winter. Lots of good food, fresh fish and fruits. Will try to go back next winter. note this is a spring break area starting in mid march........
randgcampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Florida
Dog Accepting Beaches

If you're looking for beach but not warm water, there are a number of beaches in Newfoundland where you won't find another soul for your entire walk.

We have stayed at the Lion's Club Oceanside RV Park in Port au Choix on the west coast where you park nose to the ocean on a quiet deserted beach with serviced sites. There are large beach boulders dotted with fossils there. A very interesting spot not too far from a Co-op grocery and a very good seafood restaurant. Unless you have a wet suit you won't be swimming.

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-...-Port_au_Choix

I read a bunch of the reviews in the link above and am ready to head back to NL.

There are three Provincial Parks with Ocean beaches, the best is probably Sands Provincial Park near Burgeo, a little out of the way, one on the coast of Labrador and one right after you get off the ferry from Nova Scotia.

We visit typically in May and June meaning many of the places have few campers. The reality is you can stop along the coast all over the place and walk on a beach or beach side path with your dog.

I watched a TED video (Ideas Worth Spreading) on introverts, I am one. Newfoundland is ideal for the quiet soul in me.

For those of you not familiar with TED. They have videos on all kinds of interesting topics. I had a TED app on my phone. While 'waiting' I would pick one and spend 15 minutes listening to the thoughts of another usually in topics that never crossed my mind. Really TED is another form of traveling. You can download the app or go to one of these sites and get a taste. Definitely no one will be interested in all the talks.

https://www.ted.com/talks

https://www.youtube.com/user/TEDtalksDirector

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
There are three Provincial Parks with Ocean beaches, the best is probably Sands Provincial Park near Burgeo, a little out of the way, ...

That is where we swam comfortably at the end of last August!
Newfoundland is *special* - I am so glad we made it there last year. Due to less big ship traffic, there is little trash floating around and the beaches are really pristine. I should float the idea of going there again.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Lake of Two Rivers, Algonquin Park

One of our favorites, especially in September, October.
Attached Thumbnails
canoe al  45112-1256_IMG.jpg   canoe al 1112-1257_IMG.jpg  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #17

Florida
Paul,

We were on that same beach 2 years ago in June and the local children were swimming on the beach. I walked in up to my knees. It reminded me of the water in NH at our beach. When I was younger I would swim at Hampton all summer, now I only go in for protracted periods when the nieces and nephews verbally drag me in.

These day I prefer our heated pool.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #18

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
I'm going to put in my two cents worth for the northern beaches of Michigan. I'm a little tiny bit partial to them ;-> You will find beautiful beaches and state parks all along the coast of our Great Lakes. They range from camping on white sand with no shade, to shade covered, many in forests of pine trees, and others on rocky shorelines. Several of the beach state parks have been on these "Best Of" lists. AND if you are a lighthouse fanatic like I am, many of the Michigan lighthouses are located right in the state parks. Did you know that Michigan has more lighthouse on its coasts than any other state in the US?! That's right! State parks that are located on the Great Lakes cost a little more, $30+. Well worth it. Three of my favorites... Petoskey State Park, Ludington SP, and McLain SP in the UP. Think I should be working for the Michigan tourist trade?
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #19

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
We LOVE FORT DESOTO PARK in St. Petersburg, Florida. The campsites are lovely and wooded. The beach is gorgeous and not crowded at all. It is PET FRIENDLY! They not only have the PAWS dogs parks (little and big separated) they also have a OFF LEASH DOG BEACH. It's such a treat to have dogs all running around playing with each other in and out of the Gulf. In addition, there is a lovely paved pathway for biking, rollerblading, strolling. You can rent kayaks, trolleys, bikes or bring your own. Adjoining the campgrounds is a body of water you can kayak or canoe in, if you prefer still water to the Gulf. You can fish and some of the sites are actually on the water itself.

We love this park because it is natural with lots of wildlife and trees and a beach like God made it. It is not a parking lot of campers. The sites have tables and grills, are situated and wooded so that you're not right on top of your neighbors. There are laundry facilities next to the showers and bathrooms.

If you want to make reservations, look up Pinellas County, FL parks. It's around $40 a night or so and includes full hookups.

It just doesn't get any better than this!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #20

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
More

I should have added Fort DeSoto Park is close enough to Tampa and the surrounding areas for more commercial type amusements including Busch Gardens and two hours or so from Mickey.

If you decide to go to Fort DeSoto, drop me a message and I'll give you some recommendations of sweet places nearby we always go to!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote