Best Time in the Maritimes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Decision made. June it is. Thanks for the great input!

The mention of lobster (my wife) and oysters (me) was the clincher.

Okay... time for a confession... Due to the distance and the short vacation window (between work, school, and sports with 2 teenagers), we won't be Scamping. We'll fly into Baltimore, visit family, and rent a minivan for the road trip.

Maybe next time when we're retired. For now I really wanted the kids to experience this part of the continent before they fly the nest. We love the ocean, and there's something special about the coast up there. My family used to camp in the Maritimes regularly when I was growing up in Maryland, but usually during peak season in July or August.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
look up Bear River, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We’re planning a trip to New England and the Maritimes (NS, NB, and PEI). Due to schedule constraints, it has to be in early June or mid-October. We’re thinking October.

Any thoughts on either time frame?
oug & Linda Brown live at the head of the river rich across the road, drop in and see them have dog and cats and Humming Birds. Get them to show you around and have Doug take you to the Airport up above his place. We fell in love with NS, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, Blue Rocks is just up the road about 6 or so miles, we spent a lot of time in NS Yarmouth and area both ways. We spent 5 weeks in NS
PEI takes about 3 good more if you can do it weeks to see it. Cape Breton we in and outed it pretty good to, I was there on my own in 2009 did the Sunshine Trailer both ways, did the highway up and down, Nova Scotia and CB were great. I took my wife to Visit Douglas and his family, then we left to do some more NS then into Cape Breton so on way up did quite a bit and parked in Marina's or where ever, got to see CB same coming back for NFL the ferry trip over was nice and smooth except for the noisy kids.
Real good trip.
Stude

stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #17

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
I would check : New Brunswick ,Nova Scotia & P.E.I. tourism sites on the web to see when campgrounds & parks open/close for the season. Many do that on Labor Day Weekend at the beginning of September, for others it's Thanksgiving Day in the first week of October. We do have some spectacular Fall colors in late September early October in New Brunswick where I live . It's a week or so later in Nova Scotia for the peak colors. As for June we can still have some wet or cool weather that time of the year early in the month. We tell people if you don't like the weather wait a few hours and it will be different all in the same day. Most, if not all parks and campgrounds open the third week in May. Snowstorms are normally over with in April here. If you do come and visit I do hope you have a wonderful time and take away many happy memories. Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Texas
How much of the Maritimes have a French influence?

We tour South Louisiana a lot, and they have the Cajun dances, fairs, etc. about every weekend, just pick a town. Love it when a local band is playing at VFW's, K of C halls, etc. (or whatever their counterpart is in Canada). I know enough French to start a bar fight, but not enough to talk my way out of it.

Always looking for a good excuse to get out of Texas in the Summer.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
The only French we heard in the Maritime's was from travelers from Quebec. Province of P.E.I. and NS have as few as 1 to 2% population speaking French. Whereas NB as many as 1 million according to statistics.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
While June is a "spring time" in New England, it is also the end of "mud season" and the "bug season" is in full bloom. Black flies, mosquitos and other deadly vermin are more than annoying.
October is great for leaf peeping later in the month, bugs are all gone, school is back in session and all that that implies for crowds, open campgrounds, traffic, etc.
Spending the last 8 years in Downeast Maine, the fall is my favorite.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Mosquitoes in Maine are said to be the size of dragonflies. Right, Jim?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
The mosquitos are tame compared to the black flies and what we call "cross tail" flies.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wade View Post
The mosquitos are tame compared to the black flies and what we call "cross tail" flies.
Here in Maine we say;
Mosquitos Suck but Black Flies Bite!!!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I loved June in Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island/Newfoundland.
The First Nation sites/museums I wanted to visit weren't open yet.
Stay a night in PEI near the Old Sow whirlpool- largest permanent whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere.
Take the kids on a white water raft of the incoming tide at Bay of Fundy.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #25

Arizona
Registry
I appreciate the specific suggestions, Mitzi! We've got the basic itinerary planned and are currently filling in details, sightseeing stops, etc. Very excited.

Additional must-see destinations still appreciated. Basic route is I-95 past NYC, up the New England coast to Maine, take the ferry to NS and PEI, returning through NB, QC, and dropping down through NY, friends at Cornell, Hershey, PA, and MD.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I find driving US 1 along the Maine coast in high season to be extremely frustrating. Scenery in Nova Scotia is 100x better with much less traffic. So I typically take SR9 to avoid coast mess. New Brunswick scenery not that great either although Bay of Fundy is a must see. PEI and NS are outstanding!

I also tend to take I81 through PA to I 84 to avoid NYC.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #27

Arizona
Registry
We’re kind of hoping early June isn’t quite “high season,” but I’m also debating whether to skip popular places like Acadia NP and spend the extra time in Canada. Good advice.

We’re doing I-95 in order to visit historical sites in Philadelphia, Boston, etc., mainly for our kids. It’s easy to feel isolated from events in early American history growing up in AZ. This is a one-time window for us while they’re still at home and old enough to understand and appreciate. I’ll have to work on the timing to get past NYC. Maybe a late evening run after spending the day in Philadelphia. I grew up in the I-95 corridor, so I’m used to the congestion. At least we’re not towing.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Jon, If you are tempted to skip Acadia, go a little further, to Schoodic Peninsula; there is a really nice campground, established just a few years ago. It is much less busy and you can make a day trip to see Mt. Desert Island if tempted. It is unique and beautiful.

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote