Best Time in the Maritimes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Mosquitoes in Maine are said to be the size of dragonflies. Right, Jim?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
The mosquitos are tame compared to the black flies and what we call "cross tail" flies.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wade View Post
The mosquitos are tame compared to the black flies and what we call "cross tail" flies.
Here in Maine we say;
Mosquitos Suck but Black Flies Bite!!!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I loved June in Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island/Newfoundland.
The First Nation sites/museums I wanted to visit weren't open yet.
Stay a night in PEI near the Old Sow whirlpool- largest permanent whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere.
Take the kids on a white water raft of the incoming tide at Bay of Fundy.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I appreciate the specific suggestions, Mitzi! We've got the basic itinerary planned and are currently filling in details, sightseeing stops, etc. Very excited.

Additional must-see destinations still appreciated. Basic route is I-95 past NYC, up the New England coast to Maine, take the ferry to NS and PEI, returning through NB, QC, and dropping down through NY, friends at Cornell, Hershey, PA, and MD.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I find driving US 1 along the Maine coast in high season to be extremely frustrating. Scenery in Nova Scotia is 100x better with much less traffic. So I typically take SR9 to avoid coast mess. New Brunswick scenery not that great either although Bay of Fundy is a must see. PEI and NS are outstanding!

I also tend to take I81 through PA to I 84 to avoid NYC.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #27

Arizona
Registry
We’re kind of hoping early June isn’t quite “high season,” but I’m also debating whether to skip popular places like Acadia NP and spend the extra time in Canada. Good advice.

We’re doing I-95 in order to visit historical sites in Philadelphia, Boston, etc., mainly for our kids. It’s easy to feel isolated from events in early American history growing up in AZ. This is a one-time window for us while they’re still at home and old enough to understand and appreciate. I’ll have to work on the timing to get past NYC. Maybe a late evening run after spending the day in Philadelphia. I grew up in the I-95 corridor, so I’m used to the congestion. At least we’re not towing.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Jon, If you are tempted to skip Acadia, go a little further, to Schoodic Peninsula; there is a really nice campground, established just a few years ago. It is much less busy and you can make a day trip to see Mt. Desert Island if tempted. It is unique and beautiful.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #29

Name: Maryellen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We’re planning a trip to New England and the Maritimes (NS, NB, and PEI). Due to schedule constraints, it has to be in early June or mid-October. We’re thinking October.

Any thoughts on either time frame?
Jon, we live about 40 minutes from downtown Philly, (west and a bit south) but definitely in the rural burbs. Took several classes on trips when I was still teaching. Be happy to give you input on the "historic Philadelphia" part of your trip!
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #30

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
If you are near Cape Breton in October, be sure to look into the Celtic Colours festival. There are dozens of shows in many venues across the island highlighting the vibrant Celtic and traditional music scene here.
Greg and Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
At least we’re not towing.
Yes, without a trailer, the drive is not so bad. Jersey Turnpike with a tow behind is an experience to skip....
Old 04-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Tracy View Post
If you are near Cape Breton in October, be sure to look into the Celtic Colours festival. There are dozens of shows in many venues across the island highlighting the vibrant Celtic and traditional music scene here.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have decided on the early June visit. If there is a strong Celtic music scene, I'll keep an eye out for a small concert we might take in. That's not a genre my family has been much exposed to, but my youngest daughter somehow acquired a musical gene, no credit to her parents.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #33

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
There is a strong music scene in general in the Maritimes, across all genres. Especially in the bigger centres like Halifax. The Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo is in late June and is quite a show. The festival of small halls in PEI is also in June, plus there are loads of pubs and restaurants with local entertainment. I’m starting to sound like I work with the Tourist Board lol
Greg and Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #34

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
NEParker;
Fundy Tidal Bore Adventures
https://riverrunnersns.com/
raftingcanada.ca/packages-and-discounts/fundy-tides-fireside-adventure/
Wild Waters Rafting Company » Shubenacadie River's Best Tidal Bore RaftingWild Waters Rafting
https://tidal-bore-rafting-shubie-ri...business.site/
Most seem to be in Nova Scotia.
This was just from Googling Rafting Tidal Bore Bay of Fundy.
There is an interpretive center in East Hants.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #35

Name: Pierre
Trailer: Trillium Legend 1500
Quebec
For being to the Maritimes for the last 20 years, i would recommend to go in june. Especially for the availability of campgrounds. The weather is good, activities start in mid-june, daylight lasts longer.
Balou 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Best Time in the Maritimes

I was remiss in not not providing a follow-up report. We visited in June, the 5th though the 15th. Due to the distance from AZ, we did not bring the Scamp. We flew into MD to visit family and drove from there.

We did encounter black flies, first time for us, nasty critters. We quickly learned they like running fresh water, and armed with that information, managed to avoid them for the most part. Weather was nice, and popular places were uncrowded. PEI was much changed from my childhood, overdeveloped. Green Gables was surrounded by a large golf course with an amusement park down the street.

Nova Scotia was our favorite, especially along the Atlantic coast. We attended a Sunday service at Deep Water Church, a revitalized congregation meeting in a historic wooden church in Halifax. Lots of young families and very diverse. Sadly, we were not able to fit in a visit to Cape Breton.

We also enjoyed Alma and Fundy NP in New Brunswick. Quebec City provided an unexpected diversion on the way home.

Saw a few Bolers parked in yards and one older Bigfoot on the move. Lots of Class B's, which my wife noticed because we now have a Roadtrek next to the Scamp. Tourists were mostly American retirees. Schools were still in session and it was clear summer had not yet arrived for the locals.

It was a whirlwind visit, but we hope to return with the camper once we’re retired and take our time. Maybe fall next time.

And yes, I brake for moose!!!