Big Bend National Park trip - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #41

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Good information John & Marilyn. I remember the grapevine road did some hiking out in that area. Its also worth mentioning we also saw some campers isolated over by the Mariscal mines. This is a long, rough gravel road drive that starts at Rio Grande Village and comes out close to the Castalon District if memory serves me right and we also saw some boon docking taking place on the gravel road up to dagger flats from Rio Grande Village. It might be a bit tight and extreme to haul a travel trailer through these parts however. The campers we saw were either tent or truck campers.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Roadside camping is available for up to fourteen nights with a site specific back country camping permit for $10 ($5 with a geezer pass). A few of those located along the 'improved primitive dirt roads' might work for an egg. Road conditions change significantly after any rain so I'd suggest first asking Park staff for recommendations and then dropping the camper and checking out potential sites with only your vehicle before committing. NOTE: We've driven in and tent camped and overnight backpacked into the back country but I have no first hand experience with roadside camping there in a trailer.

Roadside camping sites Primitive Roadside Campsites - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Park map w/all roads, campgrounds and roadside camping sites Primitive Dirt Roads - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #43

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Al and Cindy K,
We made it to Chisos Basin on this trip, just a few weeks ago. When we were setting up our Scamp 19 at site #9, someone in an RV with TX plates in the site next to us asked me if I come to visit every year! I said that was our first time there, but I also said that thought I knew who that regular visitor might be. The site #47 was taken, but we came without a reservation anyway and site 9 was really nice.

When we entered the park, late afternoon, there were no sites at Chisos, so we started at the Rio Grande Village and the following early morning we drove up to Chisos and grabbed a site and did some hiking. Then we went back to do laundry, pick up the trailer and set up at the Basin. We spent four days there. It is a wonderful place, so different from any other National Park! Thanks for the tips and recommendations.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
P1010968.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #44

Paul,glad you made it and thanks for thinking of us. Looks like your site had a great view of Casa Grande. We were there for a few days in October of last year. The Basin was full so we stayed at RGV but still had a great time.

Al & Cindy
Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #45

Colorado
I was just sitting there enjoying the sunset glow...
Attached Thumbnails
P1010973.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #46

Sunsets and sunrises are pretty special there......the night sky ain't too bad either. Did you get out on any of the trails or backroads?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #47

Colorado
We walked the short river overlook trail from the Rio Grande campground, to the Boquillas Canyon overlook, Hot Springs, the Balanced Rock, hiked the Lost Mine Trail, The Window, drove to the Santa Elena Canyon overlook, Sam Nail Ranch, Burro Mesa Pouroff, and there was a stargazing night conducted by Dr. Phil Kelton, retired from the post of superintendent at the MacDonald Observatory. I travel with a pair of big (10x80) WWII era binoculars, which were very handy in this case. So we saw a few of the wonders while there. BBNP probably remains on our repeat list!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #48

Wow, you really covered a lot of ground! Big Bend is the kind of place you're either ready to leave an hour after arriving or one you return to as often as possible - doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

If you didn't visit Terlingua (outside the Park on the west end), that's worth another day. La Kiva has re-opened after Glenn's murder and the new owner has had to virtually rebuild the entire place. He's done a great job of modernizing yet keeping much of the original charm.

Al