Big Bend (OR) Burro Bash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Spent 5 days on the John Day River as part of an attempt at getting something done requiring some distance from phones and other distractions.

One of my favorite campgrounds is a 4-site flat called Lone Pine just west of Kimberly (I know, too urban for some). Pulled in, found my usual spot, settled in for a good night's sleep. Never happened, because an old motorhome with hunters stayed away all night and forgot to turn their ancient generator off. No one to complain to, so I went down the road to Big Bend Rec. site. Again, on a flat just beside the river, but the current was very calm, so the silence was awesome and the birds singing on the hillside on the other shore were spectacular. Nice restroom, but no other services, no drinking water, no garbage service, nothing. Fine with me. Cost was excessive, but my Ancient of Age card brought it down to a manageable $2.50 per night. Open all year.

The second day the 13' Burro pulled in behind me, just as we didn't plan, and the Group Meeting was on. Dave from Wilsonville is a hunting/fishing guide specializing in the Northern Oregon Coast. We enjoyed several interesting conversations (AND I got a lot done even so). He was unaware of fiberglassrv.com which I shamelessly peddled . I expect he will join us shortly.

His Burro is a 1985 and he uses it as a hunting and fishing cabin. It has served him faithfully for many years, but he expects it will eventually give up on him and he'll just leave it by the side of the road. My opinion was that he should try to sell it to a rehabber instead. The shell seems like it is in pretty good condition, age considered. We don't plan to do this again next year, so I'll probably seem him again then.

If you go there be careful of the Kimberly store. They sold me a small carton of Umpqua ice cream which turned out to be 14 months outdated. Kept it as evidence in case I got deathly sick but informed them pointedly that doing that is a no-no. Didn't taste much like ice cream either. As a good Amurrican I keep the option of a lawsuit open.

The Burro was its usual well-trained self and the plan to escape the forecasted nasty weather in Portland worked well, for the most part.
Attached Thumbnails
A_bevy_of_Burros.jpg   John_Day_River.jpg  

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Nice pictures!

Generator noise is annoying, but disappointing ice cream is worse, I think. Have you still got the Umpqua ice cream package? Write to the manufacturer directly regarding your dismay. They will likely send you a coupon for more product and an amusing letter.

When you have time, I can relate my correspondence with Breyer's ice cream, or more to the point, my dispute with "Crunchy" bars regarding the definition of Improved.

If the Kimberly merchant is selling 14-month-old ice cream, it is more than likely they are at least that far behind in their payments to their local wholesaler. And will want to blame the brand, the consumer, the guy with the truck who delivers it, their mother or their Aunt Mary. Customers need to make noise, I think. Listen, if someone kicks you in the shin, you get to say "Ouch!", right? We are not in China, we can speak, eh?
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, other than the ice cream (and generator), it sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time

Thanks for sharing!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
nice pics..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Burro
Well now Per,
Here I thought you were working and you were out taking pictures the whole time. (Very nice by the way) A small correction about me however. I'm only licensed to guide fishing. I have to admit, being in the mountains for a week and no conversation for three days, when I pulled in and you came to greet me, I was so appreciative. Thank you for the hospitality and really WARM trailer. It felt great to finally get thawed out.
I made it home ok, and the Burro will get some needed attention (door) before heading to the coast for a rest next month. I will be parking it at Brighton Marina on Nehalem Bay from Mid Nov to Mid Dec for the peak of the Chinook Salmon run on rivers to the south. It has served me well as you said and I was only joking about leaving it on the side of the road. (sort of)
Thanks for the intro to the site as well. I'll be around.

JustDave
Dave Larson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro