Big Bend Suggestions? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

We are heading south on the first of February, also. Planning 2 months before we return, with [b]Bisbee, Arizona being our destination.
I really enjoyed my stay at The Shady Dell in Bisbee. They have a few spots in addition to the trailers that they rent out. I have good memories of that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0082.jpg   000_0084.jpg  

000_0085.jpg   000_0087.jpg  

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
johnc, sorry bout that! We normally go in early January but got snowed on last year on our overnighter to the South Rim and the wife says no more backcountry trips if the weather is bad. Hoping to catch some of the spring blooms this time - what are our chances of that? You Texans are sure lucky to have such a gem right there in your backyard. Its a long haul from NC but worth every mile of it. Maybe we'll run into you folks one of these days. If you ever get east, let us know and maybe we can offer a few suggestions for this part of the country.

Al & Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2005
Al & Cindy K,
No problem! Hope ya'll get to see the desert in bloom. That's what I go for every year. Enjoy your trip & good luck.

jfchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bringing this topic up again as this year we might actually get to Big Bend in March.

My questions: Do I have to have reservations? It looks like there are lots of first come/first served sites. Is this correct, and do I have a chance of getting a site.

Looked at site #42 and it is full on some of the days I want.

Have you stayed at Cottonwood or The Village campgrounds, or do you really prefer the Basin?

Is the Basin very difficult to get in and out of? Do I want to camp at different places rather than driving in and out of the Basin as a home base?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Nancy,

If you hang around here much, I'm sure you know I can't pass up a Big Bend thread.

March is probably the busiest time of the year due to the college kids on Spring Break so I'd go with the reservations. Having said that, after arriving, we've frequently found a better site than the one we'd reserved and have always been allowed to switch without any hassle. You may want to take your chances but for us, after a 2K mile drive, we want to know we've got a spot.

If you can't reserve a site in the Basin for your entire stay, don't hesitate to lock in a night or two at RGV. Its a neat campground and there's a lot to do at that end of the Park - Boquillas Canyon, Hot Springs, Old Ore Road (if you have 4WD). We also like Cottonwood on the west side - Its more primitive (no generators and pit toilets only) but usually less crowded with more wildlife. Its also more convenient for visits to Terlingua, Study Butte and if you have an extra day, Big Bend Ranch State Park (beautiful drive along the river).

The drive from the main road into the Basin is about four miles with three or four hairpin curves over the last section. Its not too difficult for smaller trailers and poses no problem at all for a single vehicle.

We like the Basin because of its proximity to three of the signature trails in the Park - The Window, Lost Mine and South Rim (The last is better done as an overnighter for anyone who spends as much time behind a desk as I do). It also has a decent restaurant if you want a break from cooking.

If you have time and can work it out, spending time at each campground is a great way to experience Big Bend. That's what we'll be doing over Easter. If anyone else has plans to be there around then, please drop by and say 'hi'.

Al & Cindy

Al & Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote