Bluelick Battlefield State Resort Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Bluelick Battlefield State Resort Park

We've just returned from Bluelick and the dishes are in the washer and the laundry is being washed. We had a great time and I'll be adding a detailed review shortly. Stay tuned...
Old 05-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I hope you give it a good one. We had a wonderful time there 3 years ago. Of course, being a hobby genealogist and seeing the battlefield and burial location of my 5th great-grandfather, Captain John Gordon, it was exciting for me. I had a lot of ancestors who ended up on KY, hence the rally in Bardstown, since another 5th great grandfather took his still there. His whiskey is now part of Jim Beam.

We got to Blue Licks and were disappointed to find the museum closed due to previous flooding. We then had a huge thunderstorm that knocked out the water system to the campground. So we took advantage of the chance to eat in the restaurant where we shared that we were there because my ancestor fought in the battle but were disappointed that the museum was closed. The waitress then called down the curator, and he gave us our own personal tour.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Licks Headstone.jpg   Blue Licks Monument.jpg  

Blue Licks my guy.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Outing review of Bluelick

We had a lot of baggage to over come because of issues that we suffered through on our last outing that included heavy rain with so many leaks inside that we felt as if it where raining inside almost as much as outside. With that in mind, it wouldn't take much to improve our experience. Just sayin'...

We had a great time at Bluelick Battlefield State Resort Park, despite the beginning of the weekend that included, you guess'd it, heavy rain!

Laura and I had spent several hours re-sealing the roof vent in our camper and the efforts paid off! We didn't have any leaks from our roof vent and it was pretty cool. Except that we found four other leaks from poor window seals as well as a pop rivet through the roof at the corner of the bathroom that was pretty leaky as well. However, we were undaunted and enjoyed our Scamp we named Ziggy immensely.

We arrived at the park at about 5:30 pm after leaving work early. No. We didn't sneak out but instead had permission to high-tail it early on a Friday afternoon. We were pretty excited and the weather didn't do much to dampen our enthusiasm. I decided that I would wear my entire rain suit, not just the jacket, because I anticipated being outside in the deluge for set up once we arrived at the park and I was not disappointed. It was wet.

The rain slacked off quite a bit, shortly after we arrived, although it never really quit on Friday night. We were able to get set up and successfully meet up with our camping buddies with whom we'd arranged this weekend.

On this trip we had added an X-pen, dog fencing, to the process so that we could leave the door open to the dogs for easy access inside/outside. The new pen, actually two pens because one would not have ben very large, worked very well all weekend and was very easy to unfold and set up. It functions as a free standing unit that doesn't need to be staked to the ground and we really enjoyed the quick deployment of the panels. As it happens, the six section panels, each one 32" X 32", are attached to each other and form a smallish octagon, or any other shape you care to attempt and as long at you leave some bend in the shape, it'll stand up on it's own. We zip-tied the two sections together to create a "front porch" just outside our door. It was cute to see the babies sitting in the doorway, under the Shady Boy Awning in the rain, just whiling away the hours watching the happenings, when they weren't barking at the neighborhood dogs or other people walking by which didn't happen too much.

Ziggy is a 16' Scamp and storage is a premium since I haven't finished the reno of the A/C closet space and we can't actually use that space, so I leave the Jeep backed up to the camper and shuttle totes into/out-of the back of the Jeep as needed. I mentioned to Laura that it feels a little like living in a Rubik's Cube because to have to move this to move that to get to the other thing you're after. She wasn't impressed with my comparison...hummmm....

We managed to score a load of fire wood from the camp attendant for $8 and were ready for a break in the weather, if it ever came, for a good sized fire that we were all looking forward to...and we weren't disappointed. (We had so much wood that we left four pieces next to the fire ring.) Saturday morning was wet, but the rain held off long enough to get breakfast cooked outside on the hot plate. The coffee was excellent and breakfast of bacon and eggs seem different, is a good way, when you're camping. Wonder why that is?....

The rain moved back in mid-morning but we managed to squeeze a dog walk in after breakfast so the babies were ready for their morning nap anyway. The weather app on my phone said that the skies would clear early evening and we were rewarded with some shots of blue sky right around 5:00 pm and I laid the fire in the fire ring and we enjoyed a wonderful evening howling at the moon (not really) and relaxing fireside like almost everyone else in the park. Everybody was ready for some good camping weather!

Sunday morning, we emptied the cooler and shared breakfast with our neighbors on the camp picnic table. The temperatures were about 48° that morning but the sun quickly dispatched any chill and we really had a great breakfast with great friends: biscuits, pan fried new potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon & sausage. Oh, and coffee too. It was wonderful and I had to shed both my coat and the long sleeve shirt. The sun was drying things up and the puddle that had formed at the rear of our camp site, the one the camp kids had been jumping into and slopping around in, was almost gone as we began packing up.

We felt a little road weary as we exited the park minutes before noon after wishing our good friends safe travel. (My first time at the dump station; whew!) We hit the road and arrived home safely with plenty of time to get most of the camp laundry completed as well as clean out Ziggy to get ready for the next adventure.

Bluelick was a great host and we really enjoyed this very small camp ground. I think there are only about 40 camp sites and if you choose to visit, I recommend the sites numbered in the 30's. We were in #22 and I'd stay away from sites 20, 21, 22, 23 and maybe 24 because they are on the low side and if it rains, 21 and 23 get their own stream running right next the black top pads. It'd be a swampy mess if you have kids or dogs.

The hook-ups are very very far from the pad at each site and if our neighbors hadn't been gracious enough to provide extra supplies, we would have been boon-docking in the park. We only carry a 25' power cord and 25' water hose and that wasn't enough to reach the services. A neighbor across from us connected his water up, but his hose was off the ground from the spigot to the RV, OFF the ground the entire distance. You'll need extra extensions if you camp at Bluelick.

The park attendant was charming and assisted with selecting oak fire wood as well as loading in the Jeep to take it back to the site. Meeting nice people really enhances the experience and this man was a gem. High marks for customer service.

The bathroom/shower rooms were the weak part of the weekend. Who ever designed them didn't think about ventilation and the dampness wasn't able to get dried out of them. The floors always seemed sticky wet and I'm sure the rain didn't help the situation. The park attendants were there mopping and keeping things clean but it just felt yucky. On a positive note, there were zero overflowing trash cans and the park look clean and tidy. We saw the park ranger no less than six times on Saturday as they cruised through patrolling. Some might find that offensive but I was encouraged that they were monitoring the park.

Unfortunately, like our last outing, we were unable to get out onto the hiking trails because of the mud and water, so I can't comment on the condition of the trails except to say that there appeared to be more than a few and the trail heads are well marked. We did walk down to the lodge, past the miniature golf course, to visit the gift shop and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful attendant there as well. We didn't try to go the Battlefield Museum that is there just outside the front gates to the park because we always had our dogs with us, but the museum attendant came outside to greet us on the front steps. Charming.

I'd look forward to returning to Bluelick as we hope for better weather and recommend this park to those interested in a smaller park with a cozy atmosphere. I like learning about the history of our country and those soldiers that fought for our independence so long ago. There is lots to do and see and we really enjoyed our visit.

Let's go camping!