Boondocking in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Has anyone found a source for crownland maps in Canada?

We would love to camp -boondock & I know there MUST be places were we can get out "baby" into people will have ideas of were to phone or e-mail to ask --been there done that!!

MNR is totaly ----not helpful---- one said go to camp Ontairo --- it's private camp sites were or were is this info?

Please let me know if you have had sucess in finding Crownland maps anywhere, thanks.
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Ann
I have never seen a Crown Land map.I have used a BC Forestry Map which was really good.I now live in Alberta so can't comment here, but i do know of lots of areas here in which boon docking is a common thing.
Maybe others can jump in with some ideas.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
--><div class='quotemain'>
Has anyone found a source for crownland maps in Canada?

We would love to camp -boondock & I know there MUST be places were we can get out "baby" into people will have ideas of were to phone or e-mail to ask --been there done that!!

MNR is totaly ----not helpful---- one said go to camp Ontairo --- it's private camp sites were or were is this info?

Please let me know if you have had sucess in finding Crownland maps anywhere, thanks.
[/quote]

Try http://crownlanduseatlas.mnr.gov.on.ca They appear to offer individual maps($25 ea) or all maps on CD($15)
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Is the Crownland like our BLM? We have the national forests, and land outside the forest areas that are national lands that are managed by the BLM.

BLM is the Bureau of Land Management.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #5

Bill I think you have hit the nail on the head ---this is just what I have been looking for!!!
but not one person in the 6 different calls I made to MNR could give me this site
thank you so much I will send for the cd & see what happens will let ya know

AnnB
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Is the Crownland like our BLM? We have the national forests, and land outside the forest areas that are national lands that are managed by the BLM.

crownland is goverment owned land (owned by the queen= crown?)
now our MNR is like your BLM ( I think)
MNR is Ministry of Natural Resources
Old 11-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I can only speak for Alberta, but I have NEVER seen maps of Crown Land, either Provincial or Federal. Because I do hunt, fish, and hike, I purchase Land Ownership maps for the provincial counties I visit, and these maps do identify government owned land (i.e. not private) as of the date of issue. The difficult thing is that, by and large, they can only be purchased from each individual county office. I have a briefcase full of these maps that I use all the time.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #8

Bill I think you have hit the nail on the head ---this is just what I have been looking for!!!
but not one person in the 6 different calls I made to MNR could give me this site

AnnB
[/quote]
My wife and I rented a duplex on 8th(Ave,St?) near the water tower in Port in 1970. Still keep in touch with a friend we met in Midland back then. Waterfront lots sold for $5,000 at that time(if only we had known what would happen). I would like to know how the cd works out.
Bill
Old 11-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #9

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Do you mean topographic maps? If you do those are produced by the federal deparment of natural resources.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e.php

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
I believe that what you are looking for are Forestry Maps. http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=627 .... I assume Ontario is going to have something similiar.

I copied this from the above site.

The BC Ministry of Forests maintains more than 1,200 recreation sites located around British Columbia for the camping enjoyment of residents and visitors to the province. There are three types of recreation campsites:

Managed With Fees
hese are managed through partnership agreements. Partners managing recreation sites and trails include recreation groups, community organizations, First Nations, private citizens, local governments and forest companies. Camping fees are charged to pay for the services provided by the agreement holder. Services may include supervision, daily maintenance and facility/structure maintenance. The agreement holder collects the fees on site and retains the fees to offset the cost of services provided at the site. Unless otherwise identified, the camping fee is $10 per night for a person, family or party of six.

Managed Without Fees
These are managed through partnership agreements or other means. No fees are charged for the services provided because the agreement holder has alternative ways of covering the costs (e.g., volunteers).

User Maintained
Camping is free, users provide the majority of upkeep at the site. Campers are asked to respect the environment and pack out whatever they pack in. The ministry will pump toilets, remove hazard trees and replace signs and other structures where necessary. Structures and access will not be removed unless there are significant ongoing public safety hazards or environmental concerns.

All recreation sites are on a first-come first-served basis. There is no reservation and there are no camping passes.
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ann B @ Nov 21 2006, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
[b]Bill I think you have hit the nail on the head ---this is just what I have been looking for!!!

AnnB

My wife and I rented a duplex on 8th(Ave,St?) near the water tower in Port in 1970. Still keep in touch with a friend we met in Midland back then. Waterfront lots sold for $5,000 at that time(if only we had known what would happen). I would like to know how the cd works out.
Bill[/quote]

OMG---- my in-laws live on 8th(809) ave right in front of the water tower(it's no longer there the tower that is ) & have been there for almost 50 years --a yellow house with garage, double lot, on the corner-- it my have been blue at the time! cedar hedge all round-limestone retaning walls!
OK was your duplex white with dark trim? on a corner --old stone house across the road?
grey brick across the corner(we live in thai house late 70's early 80's)
what a small world !!!
do you go to the egg do at Emily PP?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #12

OMG---- my in-laws live on 8th(809) ave right in front of the water tower(it's no longer there the tower that is ) & have been there for almost 50 years --a yellow house with garage, double lot, on the corner-- it my have been blue at the time! cedar hedge all round-limestone retaning walls!
OK was your duplex white with dark trim? on a corner --old stone house across the road?
grey brick across the corner(we live in thai house late 70's early 80's)
what a small world !!!
do you go to the egg do at Emily PP?
[/quote]
I believe the house was white with black trim when we were there in 1970. It was located on the south-east corner of the water tower access road off 8th ave. Willie and Irma Schwarz(not sure of the spelling) were the owners then. There was one more house(a small bungalow) between us and the water tower(don't remember their name). We only rented there for a year then bought a four-plex at 615 Hugel near fourth in Midland. We weren't able to go to Emily this year but I would like to go next summer. We camped at Emily one week before the rally two years ago when we had a 13' Bonair stick built. That got me looking at FGRV's because my little Mazda pickup was complaining about the weight of the Bonair. Since then I've purchased a 13.5 L'il Bigfoot which we use regularly and I finally found a Trillium 4500 which I am trying to refurbish before next summer.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:

Gina, many folks Back East have never even heard of the BLM -- It's mostly a western thing -- I did see one BLM outpost in Georgia where they were handling adoption of wild burros (and horses?) -- Also, BLM isn't the only one besides Natl Parks/Forests that handles land and campground -- There's Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Reclaimation, Natl Rec Areas, Tennessee Valley Authority and Fish & Wildlife Service, according to the back of my old GA card (new GA card with magnetic strip doesn't list TVA or COE for some reason).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The Corps of Engineers manages thousands of wildland acres, mostly along rivers, waterways, dams, and reservoirs around the country. Much of it is open to recreation and has camping available.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Ann B.
Check @ Canadian Tire in the spring/summer. They have great books for boondocking and back roads. I've posted the name (published in Canada) before but forget it - at the moment.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, dry camping