Boondocking1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
OK here's my story.

Friday evening we headed out to a little know lake, Tule Lake, in the Oregon Cascades. It's actually in a section know as "The Old Cascades". For those familiar with Oregon, it's the area east of the North Santiama road(hwy 22). The lake is about 5 miles down a gravel road from a scenic byway paved road. Upon on our arrival at the lake we discovered that all three campable with trailer spots were taken. Since this was a loop road we continued on back toward the paved road. When what to my wondering eyes should appear, a rough track off into the woods. Time to get out and take a look. Ah Ha, looks like a nice spot in the trees and an eaiser way in. So in we went. Set up the trailer. Now mind you the ground wasn't the levelest in the country. The poor BAL leveler was almost at the end of it's travel. We had to put several "lego" blocks under one of the landgears. Whee, we managed to get it level enough for the frig.

After watching the moon rise we settled in for a good nights sleep. Cool breeze through the open windows completed the evening.

Next morning after coffee and breakfast it out to see what was around us. Some very pretty wild flowers greeted us. A few of them posed so that I could take their portrait.

As the day wore on we have expected to see a few cars on the road. We weren't disappointed when we only saw 3 cars, a FS truck, and a guy with is small child going quite slowly on a motor cycle. Well what do you, a day of camping with the Scamp and no tours.

We settled in our chairs and did a bit of carving. I got well along on my annual grandkids Christmas ornaments. Anne made progress on a couple gift carvings.

Next morning Anne was carving a bit more and I walked up the road a bit. I looked up there was a deer watching me. I stopped and watched her. Off to the woods she finally went. I turned around and caught a flash of yellow out the corner of my eye. A closer look and consulting my bird information I determined what I had been watching was a Yellow Warbler. No pictures of the deer or the bird.

Speaking of that I must tell you about the night sounds. There's a bird called "Night Hawk" that dives and makes a very interesting sound using the wind through it wing feathers. They were busy both nights. By the way, it's not really a hawk, it eats insects. Favorite food I think is mosquitos. There was another bird or squirrel, not sure which, making interesting sounds.

The moon was very bright so you couldn't see as many stars as on a moonless night, but the moon was very pretty.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This is a panarama of 5 shots.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's some wildflower pictures.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The above is bunch berry.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Rhododendron. Pretty pink.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Tiger Lily was just sitting there along side the road. Notice the lack of dust which shows that there's not much traffic.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Many people will call these Indian Paint Brush. There's 16 varities of paint brush in the Pacific Northwest. This one I believe is Rosey Paint Brush. FYI, Indian Paint Bursh is much more orange.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Now that's my kind of camping.
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Very nice. Boondocking is the way to go.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Looks like ya had a great time.... and very lovely pictures !!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
What a beautiful place you found. Congrats. What lovely pictures.
The Indian Paint Brushes we get here, in TX are really orange, and they bloom at the same time as the Bluebonnets. Makes the highways so colorful !
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote