bringing along firewood?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
bringing along firewood??

Here in Wi we have an infestation of "emerald ash borers" a nasty beetle that wreaks havoc on trees so to try to stem the problem - campers cannot bring in firewood from more than 25 miles from their campsite. This is largely "on your honor" but hopefully people will comply. My question is are other states experiencing this problem? I have no problem buying campfire wood $3 -$4 per bundle and usually bring along my own kindling from my workshop (bug free).
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Washington State Parks have signs up asking you not to move firewood, buy it locally, to prevent the spread of disease.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Indiana State Parks have had the same rules as Wisconsin for several years due to the Emerald Ash Borer.

Spanke
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oregon State Parks have just recently posted the same info:
Please protect the Pacific Northwest from invasive species by obtaining or purchasing your firewood at or near your camping destination. Firewood can carry insects and diseases that threaten the health of our western forests. You can make a difference by buying and burning your firewood locally. For more information, visit dontmovefirewood.org.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't bring firewood because I tow my 13 Scamp with a 4CYL Escape.
It has been my experience that those rigs which yield the best MPG are also most sensitive to weight and weather. Since I have moved to my new house, I now have a gas log in the fireplace and no wood pile.
I guess what I am saying is that I have paid little attention since this whole "Ash Borer" thing began over a decade ago, since it is little sacrifice for me to buy my firewood locally.
One thing I am certain of however, is that long after the "Ash Borer" has been declared an endangered species and subsequently extinct....
The law will still be in effect!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here in SE Michigan the ash borer has devastated the ash trees. I must have lost 10 trees on my lot alone. It is deadly serious, please don't contribute to its spread.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Our state parks website asks people to not bring firewood form out of state. We don't have it here yet. Dutch Elm has caused a lot of elm trees to come down. I see vast areas of dead trees in a local river valley caused by that.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
I'm glad to hear others are abiding by the rules. I never thought of getting a "gas log" but sounds good. I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail last year and couldn't believe the number of dead trees due to pollution. Between that and invasive species like the EAB, what will our forests look like in 20 yrs.??
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I suspect it is pretty much the same all over. In NY there is a 50 mile limit on moving firewood unless it is kiln dried. We are awaiting the Emerald Ash Borer, and since I have about 40 ash trees on my 1 acre lot, I'm not a happy puppy. At least I can look forward to lots of firewood for the wood stove...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Here in Mn the rule applies too. However, when buying wood at the Holiday gas stations in Mn, it seems to all be coming from the same place up north. The company packs it and sends it all over the state. We are paying for wood that is shipped in from northern Mn, I bought it in New Ulm and Monticello and here in Mpls. I think there is a scam going on to some degree. I believe in buying locally and avoiding spread of desease, but buying shipped in wood seems a little like ca-ching for the wood cutters up north. In a state park we must buy their wood, but yep, it is shipped in.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #11

Registry
If it's the Emerald "Ash" Borer , why can't you move Oak, elm, birch, maple, pine,etc? The website says it only infests Ash trees.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
That's a good point, floyd.

Here in the south, we have the pine beetles. They can really do a job on the pine trees. So far, I haven't seen or heard any laws concerning moving firewood,though. Of course, most people use hard wood for their fires if they're smart
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I bring all scrap untreated wood from home, 2x4 etc. I don't think there is any harm done. 2x4x8 for $2 is sometimes less expensive than firewood acquired at a campground.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If it's the Emerald "Ash" Borer , why can't you move Oak, elm, birch, maple, pine,etc? The website says it only infests Ash trees.
My guess is that the average person can't tell an oak from a spruce when living. Dead cut wood is even more mysterious.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just don't do it. It's not worth the argument you may get in. In some states it is against the law regardless of what kind of tree it was.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Rather than reprinting it here, Here is a Link to NY's DEC Firewood page. It explains why it's more than just the Emerald Ash Borer. More info at the FAQ link at the bottom of the page.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #17

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
This is a problem that can only get worse over time. In today's world we receive goods from all over the world which imports and spreads pests everywhere. We will have to deal with this by doing what we can to help. Paying a little more for local wood is no problem, and can slow the spread of disease. Here in San Diego we have problems with oaks and pines. It is sad to see these beautiful old trees dry up and die. Our lakes are also being infested by invasive species requiring special rules about washing boats and bait tanks. We can at least slow down the process with some cooperation. That's a no brainer!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Out Of State Firewood

I visited several Wisconsin State parks last year . I was asked by the Park Ranger if I had any firewood with me that came from more than a 25 miles radius from the park . I told her no . Later that day we went to buy firewood at the ranger station and when I looked at the bundle of firewood the label said that the firewood came from Gilbert Minnesota . Gilbert Minnesota is located more than 200 miles from the park. Kind of makes you wonder
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Remember your mother's advice regarding whether or not that leftover piece (of whatever) in the fridge was still OK to eat?

"If in doubt - throw it out!"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
My guess is that the average person can't tell an oak from a spruce when living. Dead cut wood is even more mysterious.
I can still buy tea!!!