??? Bryce Canyon - suggestions or comments ??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
We have stayed at Red Rock Canyon campground several times an really like it. No reservations at this CG but if you show up midday you can usually find a spot and if you have a senior pass it's half price. ����

Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
California
Like others have said, there are options and a lot depends on what you want. We were there in October meeting friends. They have a motorhome and wanted hookups. We booked at Ruby's and I agree with what others have said about it. We asked for two sites next to each other and they were happy to accommodate us. Ruby's is the closest to Bryce Canyon NP and when the shuttle bus is running, there is a stop right in front of the campground. Even though the sites are close together, it was perfect for us to spend time with friends and to be able to get easily and quickly into the NP. For me, the decision is up to whether or not you want hookups: Ruby's for yes and the NP campground for no.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Kodachrome was our last stay for Bryce, makes a good location for exploring the more remote areas East of Bryce, too.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #18

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
We spent two weeks in the Four Corners in mid October but didn't make it to Bryce; just not enough time for everything in that area. If you don't mind boondocking, there are plenty of prime spots in Kaibab NF, on BLM lands and along the shores of Lake Powell From what we were told by staff, these are generally available even in peak season.

One developed (dry camping only) CG we liked was Lee's Ferry. Most mornings and evenings we'd see Condors gliding above the nearby Colorado River. Also, lots of history about the Mormon settlers and native people around there.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Jack just to let u know if you go in the winter months u can take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
At Bryce we stayed at Ruby's just outside the park. OK camp sites and very convenient. We signed up for a free guided bus tour that was great. Our guide really knew his stuff. We also did the free ranger guided tour at Zion that was excellent. At Zion you can not take your car into the park. It's bus only but very convenient ,hop on hop off and the tour guide again pointed out lots of things we would have missed. When entering Zion, we went through the Zion Mt Carmel tunnel and that was very interesting too. Watchman campground at Zion was nice too.
Your car/truck into the park, they say they plan on stopping this but were still doing it two years ago. and I went all through the park in 2009 but I hiked up the Angels Walk Trail to within 100' of the top, by then my knees were in pretty tough shape.
Stude
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #20

British Columbia
Mike my cousin and her husband from Kamloops di the same,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I enjoyed my (June 2010) campsite in Red Canyon Nat'l Forest CG. It's close enough to Bryce, but away from the crowds.
Attachment 90781

There are some nice hiking trails and sights in Red Canyon, too.
Attachment 90782

I do regret not taking the horse ride down into Bryce Canyon.
:
as u they did the horse trip and said it was a real nice ride, that the scenery was much nicer from that angle than from the top looking down into the Canyon.
Stude
Old 11-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Your car/truck into the park, they say they plan on stopping this but were still doing it two years ago. and I went all through the park in 2009 but I hiked up the Angels Walk Trail to within 100' of the top, by then my knees were in pretty tough shape.
Stude
It's a seasonal thing. Three year ago, in the spring, we were there the last week of driving being allowed, last May it was shuttle bus only beyond the Watchman Campground entrance unless you were in transit to the Lodge or had a HP sticker/pass.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:04 AM   #22

British Columbia
Bob I think Zion has to be one of my favourite places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's a seasonal thing. Three year ago, in the spring, we were there the last week of driving being allowed, last May it was shuttle bus only beyond the Watchman Campground entrance unless you were in transit to the Lodge or had a HP sticker/pass.
Yes around end of May it is transit for 6 months then cars again, Transit is better because of the driver and his knowledge of the park and what one can learn about it, went up river for a bit in 09 with a group of people.
I sure would like to walk through the tunnel and take pictures from those openings etc.
Maybe a good tour guide would be the way to see in there.
Stude
End Quote.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:45 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Winter camping

Has anyone been to Bryce in Late Feb? Is that to early to go - snow issues?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Weather Underground says Feb 20 average temp is a high of 38, low of 13 degrees. At those temps snow is certainly possible. Elevation is pretty high, about 7500 feet or so.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #25

British Columbia
Bryce Canyon elevation is 7800' to about 8300'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Weather Underground says Feb 20 average temp is a high of 38, low of 13 degrees. At those temps snow is certainly possible. Elevation is pretty high, about 7500 feet or so.
:
so you can almost get snow anytime of the year there and it is cold up there when your that high.
Stude
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Here's the annual Temp and Precipitation chart from the National Park Service for Bryce Canyon: February doesn't look all that inviting, at least not for a long stay anyway.

Weather - Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 11-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:
so you can almost get snow anytime of the year there and it is cold up there when your that high.
Stude
Yup appreciate that - it happens in these parts as well from time to time .. but I thought spring might come a bit earlier normally than it does in these parts and the annual temp charts seem to suggest that.... but was wondered about anyones real life experiences in regards to heavy snow covered roads etc in Late Feb early March range or is the road in general clear at that time of year?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here's the annual Temp and Precipitation chart from the National Park Service for Bryce Canyon: February doesn't look all that inviting, at least not for a long stay anyway.

Weather - Bryce Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
I am a Northern girl Bob the cold doesnt scare me... just heading off to Banff National Park where it can be as low as -40 C & F at this time of year